E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > anyone familiar with meguiar #26?

04-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
335iFab
Black Guy
Rep
Drives: 335i

anyone familiar with meguiar #26?

Anyone have experience with this product? Is this just a cleaner wax? I'm not looking for a sealant/nano or anything more than $50 (no 5950 or dodo supernatural) since this is just for my DD parked outside.
      04-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

It's not real popular here but personally it is one of my favorites. It is not a cleaner wax at all. Easy to work with as long as you apply it fairly thin. Don't be afraid to let it sit for a while before using an mf cloth to remove it. Some of the newer fancier waxes are more popular... But Meg's has been making #26 for decades. Smells great too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
335iFab
Black Guy
Rep

that's all i needed to hear lol thanks
      04-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Honestly #26 is a decent wax and the banana like scent is good however
it does not last very long at all especially the liquid version, 4 weeks tops.
Since car is outside and you are in the city with the moisture and salt content I would strongly suggest collonite 845. It's only $15 a bottle, lasts easily 4 times that of #26 but has a strong solvent smell. Also 845 needs to be warmed a bit and shaken well and applied really really thin. Great choice for a hybrid sealant/wax, great protection and looks decent. Remember thin thin thin on application.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Honestly #26 is a decent wax and the banana like scent is good however
it does not last very long at all especially the liquid version, 4 weeks tops.
Since car is outside and you are in the city with the moisture and salt content I would strongly suggest collonite 845. It's only $15 a bottle, lasts easily 4 times that of #26 but has a strong solvent smell. Also 845 needs to be warmed a bit and shaken well and applied really really thin. Great choice for a hybrid sealant/wax, great protection and looks decent. Remember thin thin thin on application.
I agree with this.

I have a bottle and used it on my old WRX with metallic black paint. It brings the color and pop out very nicely, but doesnt last long.

If you already have a bottle, maybe use it as a glaze? Top it off with a longer lasting wax?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Depends on what you top with. For example 845 is a solvent based lsp that will really compromise a wax underneath simply from the solvents. Now the other way 845 topped by #26 might be nice and just every month throw a layer of #26 on top. If it's the liquid version you can do a whole car in 40 minutes with a DA.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
335iFab
Black Guy
Rep

I'm just looking for a wax to throw on whenever. I already have a bottle of sealant still, but I don't feel like using it unless I clay the car first. The Collonite sounds more like a sealant than wax.
      04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Really up to you. If you want an affordable wax that is easy to use #26 is good. Personally I prefer ease of use over durability... That way I can keep the just waxed look (and protection) and i don't hate applying it. I can use my pc and put a coat of #26 on in no time, let it dry for and hour and wipe off the haze. With that being said, my current favorite is dodo juice purple haze because it beads so insanely well, is easy to use, and it makes washing stupid easy. I also have blackfire wet diamond for some of the more daily drivers... Also easy to use and lasts.

If you are already using a decent sealant you probably won't see much if any difference with #26 since most of the looks are in the prep work.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
#26 is one of my favorites because of its ease of use and it is readily available OTC. It looks great on dark paint. If you really want it to shine and look wet, use #7 first - show car glaze, then top with #26, they were made for each other. Both are cheap, and can be bought OTC.
#7 has a huge learing curve to applying it properly - just thin layers needed. If it's too hard to wipe off then you used too much product.
This was what I always used untill I switched to D301.
#26 does not last long though.
Appreciate 0