E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > pro headlight restoration in NYC?

05-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

pro headlight restoration in NYC?

i have one new headlight and now my old one looks a bit dull/discolored.

I'm perfectly capable of restoring it myself, BUT i want to find a professional who will spray permanent UV protection on the lens (not simply a uv protective sealant). I don't want to have to repolish the headlights every 3 months or worry about reapplying a sealant every couple weeks.

anyone know where i can find a place to do this, and the going rate for something like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
kjang
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Barrique Red 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Since you can restore them yourself, why not just buy the coating that the "pros" use? Something like Gclear, Speedocote, or Lightrite.

Unless those aren't permanent enough?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjang View Post
Since you can restore them yourself, why not just buy the coating that the "pros" use? Something like Gclear, Speedocote, or Lightrite.

Unless those aren't permanent enough?
not really familiar with what they use. i'm looking for something as permanent as the oem coating (if possible), and i'm assuming their service would come with a warranty.

i'd also prefer someone else to do it so i don't have to cover my entire car to prevent overspray (i'm assuming the UV protection is much like spraying clearcoat)

edit: read the reviews for lightrite and saw this: "Others are right, it is somewhat expensive. One can really isn’t enough for both headlights. You need good skills at spraying to do it well. But once done, it really works. "

i really have 0 experience with spraying. i'd rather pay to have someone with experience get it right

edit2: i also don't have a UV lamp to cure this quickly. i don't want dust and stuff to contaminate my UV coating while i wait for the sun to dry it
Appreciate 0