E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Leasing for a newbie

07-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Leasing for a newbie

Leasing cars seems more popular these days than ever, but for a newbie like myself it's a bit daunting to try understand everything.
I've always saved up for a car or got a small personal loan towards one that I can afford after selling whatever car I have at the time.
What are the pro's and con's of leasing, ok you get to drive the newest models but after spending so much per month on leasing you never get to own the car .
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
badgerbrock72
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Sport

Hi

I am in your camp on this one, and your situation describes exactly my predicament in about 12 months time

I will be looking to either lease or PCP into a new car Sept 2016 and hence will be looking to place an order about this time next year.

The way I see it, I like to drive a new car (don't we all) and also change every 3 years or sooner. This fits leasing perfectly. If you get the right deal then you could end up paying less than the car would depreciate in the time that you are driving it (usually 24 months)

The Golf R deals about a year ago were mad!

There is a great deal at present for a 2 year lease on a M235i for less than £300, but thats standard with the manual box, i'd want the sport auto plus a few options. Which probably pushes it way up.

Think there are some cracking deals if you don't mind a standard car.

plus on top of all this you are always covered by the manufacturer warranty, so no paying out an additional monthly figure for extended (assuming you have an older car now and like the peace of mind as I do)

HTH

Regards

Garry
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Jat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i M Sport

Its not for everyone, you need to take care of the car (in regards to damage/wear and tear) as a cheap lease can get expensive if they pick up issues when it is time to hand it back. Someone else can hit your car when parked, leave no note etc, you will need to claim to keep the car clean and within the "wear and tear" standards that are set out. Look those up on the web.

The main thing I would consider is if you plan to change within a short time (e.g <3 years). More time than that, or to own outright, PCP/HP etc is not the way to go, as you will pay more in most cases.

I had cars on PCP in the past, but I based it on the fact that I knew I would be changing the car in a few years, and the cost of leasing over that whole period (inc my deposit) was less than a car would depreciate over that period. As such, I saved overall by leasing rather than buying out right, having the car depreciate, and then selling on.

As long as you know what you want, and you understand what it is that you are signing up for, there are some good deals. Its horses for courses, so just be aware of what you are getting in to.

My Journal Thread : CLICK HERE
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Think of leasing as a cheape way to run a BRAND NEW car every 2-3 years without having to comit a larger deposit.

If you get your timings right you can pick up great deals, the current Audi S8 deal looks great, £13k total payments over 2 years for a car that would normally depreciate by double that amount over the same time period!!

BUT leasing is NOT a cheap way to run a car compared to buying a 2-3 year old car. Even after 4 years of ownership my old E90 335i had only depreciated by £10k. Depreciation is the biggest cost to car ownership, the newer the car, the bigger that cost. Leasing reduces this cost a bit, but you still cannot get away from it.

Do you like the idea of having a brand new car every 2-3 years?? How much are you prepared to pay for luxury of having a new car?? Different people will answer these questions differently, at the end of the day only you can decided if it works for you or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Ok thanks something to consider
Appreciate 0