E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake/Rotor Recommendations

04-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #23
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
FWIW, I put the new rotors/TRW pads on the front a couple weeks ago. Rotors are fine, but I am seeing an unacceptable amount of brake dust from these supposedly low dust ceramic pads. I'll be returning them to FCP and leaving a review there. The StopTech ceramics I used to have from AdvanceAuto lasted several 10's of thousands of miles and were virtually dust free.
      04-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #24
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
FWIW, I put the new rotors/TRW pads on the front a couple weeks ago. Rotors are fine, but I am seeing an unacceptable amount of brake dust from these supposedly low dust ceramic pads. I'll be returning them to FCP and leaving a review there. The StopTech ceramics I used to have from AdvanceAuto lasted several 10's of thousands of miles and were virtually dust free.
I avoid anything stop tech as it's all made in China now. I had stop tech products in the past and they did not last at all. Not to
Mention I found their pads terrible in the wet.

I am currently running Zimmerman rotors with the hawk 5.0 pads. My favourite setup so far. The 5.0 pads are nice and linear, great bite when you put your foot down. Dust is not bad. Normal I'd say.
      04-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #25
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
It might be from the COTEC break-in coating. Give them about 500 miles then see how they do. FCP will take them back regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:11 PM   #26
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
This is the level of dust I am getting of the new TRW pads from FCP. In defense of TRW, I have zero issue with stopping performance. The problem is is that these are ceramic pads that are supposed to have low/no dust, and that is clearly not the case here. I know StopTech are supposedly a less regarded brand, but they were excellent from a dust perspective. I did not know that they were made in China, and while I accept that a lot of the things in our lives are going to originate from there, I do try to support Made in USA/Europe/low Earth Orbit/whatever. But if I pay for a product that is supposed to be low/no dust, that is what I expect to receive.

They have been on the E93 for two weeks, and I just detailed the car this weekend. I'll give it another couple weeks/few hundred miles just to confirm what I am seeing before throwing in the towel. My Plan B is probably the Akebonos.
Attached Images

04-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #27
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
They have been on the E93 for two weeks, and I just detailed the car this weekend. I'll give it another couple weeks/few hundred miles just to confirm what I am seeing before throwing in the towel. My Plan B is probably the Akebonos.
That's a lot of dust for 'low dust ceramic' pads. Thanks for posting the update.

I had OEM pads and rotors on my 325 which were excellent in terms of performance until they finally wore out, then I replaced them with Pagid rotors and Centric PQPRO pads, which feel as good as OEM but have about the same amount of brake dust. Those PQPRO pads are also pretty worn out for only 14K miles so I'll be replacing soon.

When I purchased my 330i it recently had new brakes installed. I'm not sure about the rotors but the pads are Akebono ceramic. They are definitely low dust and I can't complain about performance, but it is most definitely a different pedal feel than the OEM combination that was on my 325.

It's not bad and I'm not going to change anything now, however I would prefer a much better brake feel over the low dust from the Akebono pads.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #28
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
This is the level of dust I am getting of the new TRW pads from FCP. In defense of TRW, I have zero issue with stopping performance. The problem is is that these are ceramic pads that are supposed to have low/no dust, and that is clearly not the case here. I know StopTech are supposedly a less regarded brand, but they were excellent from a dust perspective. I did not know that they were made in China, and while I accept that a lot of the things in our lives are going to originate from there, I do try to support Made in USA/Europe/low Earth Orbit/whatever. But if I pay for a product that is supposed to be low/no dust, that is what I expect to receive.

Yeah that's pretty bad. I don't think my original Textars were that bad. I can't imagine they'd advertise "low dusting" ceramics like that. Hopefully it's just the break in coating and it gets better.

Akebonos don't dust at all. I've got them on all 4's and am very happy with them. After about 300-500 miles they start feeling great. The break-in period sucks though. Very squishy for a little bit, but they'll definitely stop if you need them to. I've gone through plenty of OEM pad setups and I honestly can't tell any practical difference in day to day driving between these and OEMs.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 04-26-2021 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #29
nick46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E91 lci 330d msport

Quote:

Easy solution just don't brake
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #30
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Is it just me or what's going on with all of the groovings on the rotors..??
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #31
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I replaced both the rotors and pads at the same time. It takes time for both of them to get bedded-in, so you were seeing some of that process. Rotors are actually pretty smooth now.
      05-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #32
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I replaced both the rotors and pads at the same time. It takes time for both of them to get bedded-in, so you were seeing some of that process. Rotors are actually pretty smooth now.
If going no dust, Akebono is best option.
Personally, I think they are absolute garbage performance wise, but if ultimate goal is turning BMW to Camry, Akebono is way to go.
Appreciate 1
E93Dude369.00
      05-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #33
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Bedding brakes takes about half a dozen runs, get to about 40MPH and use a firm application of the brakes and repeat. Don't let the brakes cool in between runs and you're good to go.
      05-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #34
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Personally, I think they are absolute garbage performance wise, but if ultimate goal is turning BMW to Camry, Akebono is way to go.
I’d be making different pad choices were I tracking this car, but I do put my vehicle through a good workout on public roads. Relying on driving skill is more meaningful to me than having to rely on the absolute best brakes or some tune to compensate. Plus, I like a clean car, but don't have time every week to go clean thoroughly. If I wanted a less interesting driving experience, I’d own something non-turbo, an automatic with four doors...

Last edited by E93Dude; 05-18-2021 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #35
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd be making different pad choices were I tracking this car, but I do put my vehicle through a good workout on public roads. Relying on driving skill is more meaningful to me than having to rely on the absolute best brakes or some tune to compensate. Plus, I like a clean car, but don't have time every week to go clean thoroughly. If I wanted a less interesting driving experience, I'd own something non-turbo, an automatic with four doors...
Sorry, what I am talking about is not skill. I live 100 yards from school. Driving 30mph on OE brakes and 30mph on Akebono POS and having kid running out between cars is not about skills, it is about which pad is going to grab fastest.
So, forget track. I will take any semi metallic pad over ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #36
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, what I am talking about is not skill. I live 100 yards from school. Driving 30mph on OE brakes and 30mph on Akebono POS and having kid running out between cars is not about skills, it is about which pad is going to grab fastest.
Imagine thinking the difference between ceramic and semi-metallic from two reputable companies that pass all the same legal braking specs at 30mph is literally life and death.

This post might be worse than shit audiophiles say.
Appreciate 2
E93Dude369.00
whyzee1251677.00
      05-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #37
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Imagine thinking the difference between ceramic and semi-metallic from two reputable companies that pass all the same legal braking specs at 30mph is literally life and death.

I think everyone agrees that safety should be a critical priority when operating a motor vehicle. But I just don't believe for regular driving there is enough difference between pad formulations from reputable brands to say that one is unsafe, especially if you don't drive like a maniac on public roads. On the track, after the pads are blisteringly hot, running in and out of chicanes, we can have a different conversation. Operating at those margins can be razor thin.

I ran on original OEM semi-metalic pads for years/thousands of miles before switching to a ceramic pad. The only material difference I noticed was significant reduction in brake dust that I previously had to continuously clean off. That said, for normal driving (plus some spirited sprints in the country), they both grabbed fine. Never an "oh shit" moment. Never hit any kids, but squirrels...maybe. I may have "accidentally" hit the accelerator in some of those cases....

Last edited by E93Dude; 05-22-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Gregrobin578.00
      05-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #38
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Legal braking specifications? Do tell us what that means? I was test driver but I have never heard about legal specifications that will determine braking distance on specific vehicle. If that was the case Toyota Yaris would have as capable brakes as La Ferrari, but it doesn't.
Akebono is reputable company. They are one of suppliers for F1 teams. Their Euro line is the way it is not bcs. they don't know how to make pads that are more aggressive, but bcs. they choose not to aiming at specific market.
But when you buy their brakes you buy bcs. less dust. You cannot have both ways.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #39
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think everyone agrees that safety should be a critical priority when operating a motor vehicle. But I just don't believe for regular driving there is enough difference between pad formulations from reputable brands to say that one is unsafe, especially if you don't drive like a maniac on public roads. On the track, after the pads are blisteringly hot, running in and out of chicanes, we can have a different conversation. Operating at those margins can be razor thin.

I ran on original OEM semi-metalic pads for years/thousands of miles before switching to a ceramic pad. The only material difference I noticed was significant reduction in brake dust that I previously had to continuously clean off. That said, for normal driving (plus some spirited sprints in the country), they both grabbed fine. Never an "oh shit" moment. Never hit any kids, but squirrels...maybe. I may have "accidentally" hit the accelerator in some of those cases....
Actually on track AK would be preferable if that compound could deliver modulation and grab of track pads. The compound AK is made of has exceptional high temperature resistance. That is why that material is preferred on family vehicles like minivans etc. as people use brakes much more than needed.
Problem performance wise is that they have horrible modulation characteristics and really bad grabbing which is extremely important when one counts on every single ft. of stopping distance.
I have seen people running them on track bcs. they have good reputation, except they didn't pay attention what that reputation is about.
One good thing about them is consistent performance on track, a problem is that it is not much of performance in the first place.
I had them on my VW CC just to give it a try. Took them off after 3,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:16 PM   #40
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
After the debate in this forum, and reading other materials, I'm just going to go with an FCP Euro kit - solid rotors and ceramic pads. I thought the drilled disks might help with braking in wet conditions, but I don't think that is really the case anymore. And even if I were concerned about aestetics, you can't really see my disks clearly though my rims (stock). Thanks everyone for all the input.
I think this is the way I will go as well. Have you been happy with this selection?

Is this the kit you purchased: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...4116855000ktf3

Last edited by Gregrobin; 08-16-2021 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #41
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

Quote:

Wow, that is a lot of dust. I'm running TRW Dtec since 2019 on my E46 here in Sweden and I'm satisfied with the dust levels, not much to talk about. I'm running Textar Epad (Dtec equivalent) on my E90 and happy with those as well, although TRW stuff would be cheaper. Both brands are cheaper than ATE Ceramic here in Europe.

325i '06, 323Ci '00, A3 2,0TDI Q '10, 740 GLT 16V '88
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 03:56 AM   #42
TH4X
Running In The Night
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E92 320i & F31 328i

ATE Low Dust Ceramic pads have been very satisfying when it comes to the dust levels.

Yes there is a price-tag to it (at least here in Europe), but it has outdone all of the other brands I've tried so far that are so called 'Low Dust'.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #43
Jolee
Jolee
Rep
Drives: BMW 330

Am I getting scammed

Hi I have a 2019 330 with 25k miles on it new tires just 10k miles ago.

Service is telling me my front brake pads are 7 and the left rear is a 2 they want me to pay for rear brake pads
They are also telling me that my front roters are warped and that is covered under warranty and they will replace them.

Could the front rotor issue cause the rear pads to have excessive wear? I do not ride the brakes nor do I take it up the mountain.

Thaks for any advice
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #44
macloren
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

If you hate brake dust, Akebono ceramics is the way to go.
Appreciate 0