E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Wireless Charger

07-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
nsardello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Wireless Charger

Anyone have experience with adding a wireless charger to either the dash, sunglasses holder, or the cubby that comes with the non-smoker package? Looking for something that will work with an iPhone X. Already added Bluetooth audio via tune2air, but trying to get rid of all cables. I see there is an option on ECS for the E8x, but not our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Here you go. Wireless charger I bought off Amazon. I'd put up the link but honestly you could get half a dozen variants with quick charge. Don't forget to get the one that's iPhone compatible since the magnets can't be dead center due to the charging coil in the phone.

Uses a vent clip and I purchased a right-angle mini-USB. Pulled the trim back and routed it over and down the area for the radio. You will probably need to pull the radio put to manuever the wire properly. If you don't have a center channel speaker, you could possibly pop the center vent near the windshield for alternative access (but seems like just as much work with less control).

Routed the wire down and to the passenger side so I could just run it slightly under the trim that goes up the middle and up into the center console. As long as you don't have the OEM phone solution in the center console you'll be able to easily pull up the rubber matting and reveal what's basically a nice pathway that leads up from the bottom of the right side (see pics). FYI, you won't need to move or remove seats — easily done with just fingertip pulling/nudging.

From there, just connect to an appropriately powered cigarette/12V accessory plug and insert your USB.

In hindsight, I've figured out a few things:
1) maybe starting the usb cable routing from the console would be easier if you're going to pull the radio and HVAC controls anyway.

2) I will probably adjust this later but if you're like most who don't close your HVAC vents that this would sit on, you could route the wire through the vents. It'll give you a cleaner look.

When you pull the trim away, the front section of the vents will come with it. There is some foam gasket/buffer (well its permanently attached) at the connection point and you could probably get the wire through there and drop it behind the radio as well. It's not as if its a completely sealed system so I doubt you'd affect much.

Anyway, good luck. Hope this gives you an idea. Let me know if you need more detailed pics or info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

I bought and then modded a storage bin.

Bought the parts from ebay (3xcoil charger), then made up and tested, it works perfectly with my iphone SE, anything bigger wont fit here.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post

Bought the parts from ebay (3xcoil charger), then made up and tested, it works perfectly with my iphone SE, anything bigger wont fit here.
Nice! More pics of it in action!

I was thinking about that as well. Have you tried something angled and upright? I can fit an iPhoneX in there as well as a 6S Plus angled up but the charger coils would need to be on a platform at the right angle and in the right position.

I like mine up so I can see and adjust pretty close to the navigation level, but your way requires less hardware on the phone (I need a magnet or a magnet strip based on which type of charger I bought). Very cool...did I mention "more pics?"
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

#rant Damn it, I need a 3D printer.
I too have done a similar mod when I used Nexus 5 as my daily phone. The sunglass tray is perfect for it but small for my Nexus 6P.
The charging board is around $12CAD from aliexpress. Make sure to get one with more than one coil to cover a bigger area.
If I had a 3D printer; I would print a custom insert/holder

Come on now, there has to be someone here in Calgary with a BMW and own a 3D printer.

Last edited by gamesfrager; 08-01-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:

Wait... the SE has wireless charging??

Oh, maybe you're using it with a 3rd party case that supports wireless charge?

Pics with phone/case in cubby please?
      08-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
nsardello
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:

Nice! More pics of it in action!

I was thinking about that as well. Have you tried something angled and upright? I can fit an iPhoneX in there as well as a 6S Plus angled up but the charger coils would need to be on a platform at the right angle and in the right position.

I like mine up so I can see and adjust pretty close to the navigation level, but your way requires less hardware on the phone (I need a magnet or a magnet strip based on which type of charger I bought). Very cool...did I mention "more pics?"
Also looking for a solution for the iPhone X. Surely our collective minds can think of something! After all, we are on the e90 forum and not the F30
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #8
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

I put a coil under my sunglasses tray in my old car and it worked flawlessly, until I upgraded my phone. Didn't work with my Samsung S8 though
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 06:44 PM   #9
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Need to start working on this. Keep the ideas coming
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #10
Trainwreckor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I replaced my ashtray with an oddments tray from ECS.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/51169198283/
And bought their wireless charging kit by inbay.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-inbay-pa...240000-03~iby/

The oddments tray has a small hole in the bottom for the rubber mat to snap into. I was able to feed the power cable thru and attached the rubber mat to the charger. I added some foam to the rubber mat so it would sit properly without moving. My Samsung S9 with a case fits and charges with no issues. FYI, the phone in the picture is a slightly smaller S6 Edge as I was using the S9 for taking the photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #11
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreckor View Post
I replaced my ashtray with an oddments tray from ECS.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/oddments-tray/51169198283/
And bought their wireless charging kit by inbay.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-inbay-parts/wireless-charging-retrofit-kit-3-coil/240000-03~iby/

The oddments tray has a small hole in the bottom for the rubber mat to snap into. I was able to feed the power cable thru and attached the rubber mat to the charger. I added some foam to the rubber mat so it would sit properly without moving. My Samsung S9 with a case fits and charges with no issues. FYI, the phone in the picture is a slightly smaller S6 Edge as I was using the S9 for taking the photos.
Exactly what I was originally thinking. Well executed! Only limitation there is what phone size you can fit. If seeing your screen wasn't an issue as you drive, the center console is even easier to pull this off - but just like the original BMW iPhone mount, you'd have to limit the movement of the phone...or get a lot more charging coils hehehe.

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0