E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A brief encounter.....

10-31-2011, 04:09 AM   #155
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
So, 6 weeks in, is the Jag going to be a keeper (in the relative sense....6 months would be a keeper the way I've been going)?

I was a bit unsure of the XFR even when buying it - I had no issue with the car as such, just whether the whole experience was going to 'satisfy' me once the feeling of newness rubbed off. I was also a bit concerned by the brand image (being a youngster and all that ).
Who? You? You're an old man mate. You've owned more cars in the past 3 years than some 80 year olds since the industrial revolution!

Quote:
Both C63's had steering columns attached to the car with tie wraps (such was the vibration you got through to the wheel - I can't believe other people don't notice this ). Otherwise though, the C63's were spot-on.
But it's a Merc. I mean, they're not bad, but image-wise in Germany they're actually far worse than a Jag: We say it's something for either taxi drivers or old guys with hats and a crotcheted loo roll on the backlight shelf, plus the obligatory sausage dog. You see, something like this:

Quote:
The build quality....absolutely exceptional! In almost any car I've had I'd get stressed about rattles or buzzes or creaks or any kind of trim noise - I hate them But in the Jag, I don't get stressed about any of this as there's just no such noises...even when I listen for them! Driving along, the impression of solidity that you get makes it it's feels like the most torsionally rigid chassis of all the cars I've had and the interior trim doesn't make a peek over any surface (the Porsche may have been even stiffer but it was ruined by all the trim noises).
What's the mileage again on the XFR? Maybe you should wait a bit until it's not factory new anymore...but then you'll already have sold it anyway.

Quote:
It's as refined as the M6 (hitherto, my most refined car), it rides better than all of them
No surprise there! It's a 5 meter, 2 tons saloon dude! In Germany we say "Opaschaukel" to it.

Quote:
I know some of you are unimpressed with this car but this is one case where until you've driven one, you have no idea just how good it is. OK, I can't get away from the fact that it's a Jag but (apart from on here!) I've not had a single negative comment about 'what' it is.
Slagging off aside, it's really an excellent car. I wouldn't want one (and the colour reminds me of Red Riding Hood), but it's large, comfy and fast - what can a guy want more? But then, the REAL Palmnuts kicks in...:

Quote:
So, with all that said.....is it going to be a keeper through winter? Well, maybe!

When I got in it, a new 2012 model with Jag's new sports seats from the XKR-S, sunk myself down into a real 'sports-car' driving position and piloted it out from the forecourt, it felt monumentally different to my car.

It's absolutely nails everything and is, to date, the very best car I've driven bar nothing.
A colleague of mine has had the XKR for a while now and is very happy with it. He's also an amateur race driver and had a GT3 RS before, so he knows what he's talking about. It's still a bit fat and tail-happy on a track, but otherwise a phenomenal car.

Quote:
I absolutely love it and have been telling Ms 'nuts that it's THE car have been waiting for and that she needs to get a 4-door and allow me to get this. If I have my way, I'll have one by December.
Andrew, it's not "if". It's "when", we all know that. I believe Vicky also knows it's only a formality to argue...

Once you're set on a new car, you're like...well, an image springs to my mind:

Won't let go!

Quote:
The negotiations have started both with the other half and with the dealer (both of whom are being very receptive at the minute.
Are you sure you don't need 4 doors? Maybe an estate?

Quote:
Whatever the outcome, keep the XFR or buy an XKR, I'll be happy for the foreseeable and find myself in the unusual position of not hankering after some AMG, M-car or something exotic....I'm just really impressed with Jaguar's latest products and, after driving my dad's 2004 XK8 a few weeks ago (IMO, not a great car), I can't believe just how much their products have changed over the last few years.
Have fun my friend and drive safely!! And I expect you to be in Germany next spring.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      10-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #156
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Ha ha, were you really all that surprised the Dealer handed you the winning raffle ticket? Really? They're not THAT dumb, they saw you approaching, and fixed the raffle - lined up their Christmas bonus nicely I'd say .
Roger, that's exactly my thought! Rigged raffle!! Word has got around all Midland car dealers to keep an eye out for Palmnuts
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #157
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
You are a mentalist mate. A flat out mentalist

But the XKR is clearly the one to go for The best jag in the range and one of the best drivers cars on the market. When I got the inclination you were going for a Jag (and started hassling Rog for the gossip via PM ) I was surprised it was an XF and not an XK you went for then But as you need (needed? ) 4 doors, fair enough.
Don't get me wrong. Both are superb cars. But you know you want the XK Dooo it.

Dave
It's the only car I've had on my driveway that, at 11pm last night when I decided I needed to post a letter (to my local Porsche centre of all places confirming my attendance at their 991 preview event in December ), kept me out for 45 mins and £20 worth of fuel! The postbox is half a mile away!

I was truly gutted when I handed it back today which means yes, I do want the XKR and will likely 'do it'! Soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
Glad your liking it Andrew (or are you just saying this to prove us all wrong ) Saw my mates Friday and was very impressed he ending up getting a XK Portfolio although surprised for such a big Car how little space there is inside (Boot and Back Seats) I know you always get a good deal anyway but I'd be careful with prices as my Friend was getting offered less than 6 Month old Cars with the equivalent of about 35 - 40% off (+ the VAT if Qualifying)
Residuals are scary on it and after speaking to the dealer today, they know where I'm at and appear to agree - they're trying to get funding from Jag on a new one to get me the kind of discount that a) makes it affordable and b) mitigates the depreciation somewhat.

I don't think many people roll in looking to buy a brand new XKR and I've always got in the back of my mind that 1 year old examples are selling for around the £50k mark (or less). The only real reason I'm looking for a 2012MY one is the seats but I might seriously ditch that idea if the discounts aren't big and just get a heavily discounted (and still brand new) 2011MY version (we're talking £55k for one with 100 miles on the clock and my XFR, a car which I paid no deposit on just 6 weeks ago, taken off my hands!).

It makes a massive difference this time that I'm dealing with Sturgess in Leicester who are simply the most enthusiastic dealer I've ever come across - all the people working there appear to be very long-standing employees who are proper petrol heads and genuinely knowledgeable and excited by their product. They're an independent and a world away from the relatively poor experience at Guy Salmon (Sytner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Ha ha, were you really all that surprised the Dealer handed you the winning raffle ticket? Really? They're not THAT dumb, they saw you approaching, and fixed the raffle - lined up their Christmas bonus nicely I'd say .
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Roger, that's exactly my thought! Rigged raffle!! Word has got around all Midland car dealers to keep an eye out for Palmnuts
Rigged That dealer didn't know me 3 weeks ago!

Or did they..........?

They certainly do now !

Whatever - they've got my attention and they're even sorting out a factory visit for me and a Jaguar track day and I didn't even buy my XFR from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
What's the mileage again on the XFR? Maybe you should wait a bit until it's not factory new anymore...but then you'll already have sold it anyway.
My car is hardly factory fresh now - it's over a year old (it's a '10 plate....oh the shame!) and has just ticked over 10k miles....every BMW I've had (M6 excluded) rattled by that mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
A colleague of mine has had the XKR for a while now and is very happy with it. He's also an amateur race driver and had a GT3 RS before, so he knows what he's talking about. It's still a bit fat and tail-happy on a track, but otherwise a phenomenal car.

Andrew, it's not "if". It's "when", we all know that. I believe Vicky also knows it's only a formality to argue...

Have fun my friend and drive safely!! And I expect you to be in Germany next spring.

Alpina_B3_Lux
Yep, I'm fairly confident that in a few weeks, big red riding hood will have gone to the wolves.

Whatever I have next year, it'll be interesting to see if you still have the legs on me on the autobahn....whether it be either my XFR or the XKR, my supercharger pulley has been ordered and is being made as we speak - I just need to decide what car to fit it to

So, that'll be in the region of 580-600bhp...mmmmm!

I'll have to see what deals they come back with in the next couple of days and decide whether I go down the new or nearly new route - whatever it is, these Jag dealers do like to do a deal and, whilst I guess this is reflected in the relatively poor residuals, the indications I've had are that they'll get me out of my XFR with next to no pain.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #158
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Interesting reading as always!!

A mate of mine posted on Facebook yesterday:

"In Germany getting ready to lap the Nurburgring in a Jag XKRS....."

Lucky sod!!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #159
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

So how come in the space of 3 or 4 weeks the massive need for a 4 door car has gone away.

Sounds like it was just an excuse to change car, not that there is anything wrong with that of course!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #160
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
So how come in the space of 3 or 4 weeks the massive need for a 4 door car has gone away.

Sounds like it was just an excuse to change car, not that there is anything wrong with that of course!!
He sent the children back using the 28 day cooling off period; they ruined his playboy image .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #161
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbin View Post
Interesting reading as always!!

A mate of mine posted on Facebook yesterday:

"In Germany getting ready to lap the Nurburgring in a Jag XKRS....."

Lucky sod!!

This is a very good point Andrew, will you be taking the XKR to the nurburgring when you get it?
      11-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #162
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
This is a very good point Andrew, will you be taking the XKR to the nurburgring when you get it?
At least he won't have to pay for the Channel crossing.
      11-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #163
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Only the wide sections
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #164
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
Fook me you seem to change cars more often than I change my underpants !!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #165
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Yep, I'm fairly confident that in a few weeks, big red riding hood will have gone to the wolves.

Whatever I have next year, it'll be interesting to see if you still have the legs on me on the autobahn....whether it be either my XFR or the XKR, my supercharger pulley has been ordered and is being made as we speak - I just need to decide what car to fit it to

So, that'll be in the region of 580-600bhp...mmmmm!
Yeah, that'll be interesting! If I leave my car as it is, I think I won't stand a chance.

I can still have my revenge on the 'Ring then! I assume you'll be coming around here again, now that the insurance problem seems to have been solved?

Alpina_B3_Lux