E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Have a Rant Thread...

02-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
FHE92
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nothing interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknar View Post
Oh crap you guys make me terrified. I'm buying a cam right NOW. Used to have a blueskysea cam from ebay and it was good and cheap. If you have recommended brands/models pls let me know. No excuse not to have one and protect yourself.
I use the blackvue DR650GW-2ch. It is amazing and great coverage seen as it records both the back and front.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #46
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I'm with admiral. The excess brings the premium right down. In the next year or 2 I'll be dropping the premium as my no claims rises back up.
Hopefully I never have to be concerned with the excess, exactly as I wasn't before. It's a gamble but long term seems worth it.

I run mobius dash cams front and rear and I've now taken to keeping a usb charger in my glove box so that I can keep one cam running when I leave the car anywhere different.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #47
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHE92 View Post
I use the blackvue DR650GW-2ch. It is amazing and great coverage seen as it records both the back and front.
This is very classy but waaay outside my price range

Nextbase is more like it. Looks almost identical for my blueskysea I had. Although, 2 channel is the way to go! Where do you fit the rear one?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #48
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

I have a cigarette lighter in my centre console/armrest so plan on using a dual usb-cigarette lighter charger to support the front and rear cameras. Just need to find a couple of long cables and a discreet way to run one through to the rear cam.

Will probably mount the rear one in the corner of the window
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #49
FHE92
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is very classy but waaay outside my price range

Nextbase is more like it. Looks almost identical for my blueskysea I had. Although, 2 channel is the way to go! Where do you fit the rear one?

I have it just under my high-level (3rd) brake light on the rear windshield. The rear camera connects to the front, the front gives the rear power and access to the memory card (memory card only in the front).

Overall, it works really well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #50
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I used the cigarette lighter power supply but soldered my own wires inside it so there was no visible wires or adapter.

Next time I'll probably connect direct to the accessory fuse box.

I'm really tempted by the convenience of the dual modules. 90$ is my budget. Rear quality suffers but rear is less important. Important is discretion and motion-detect buffer features:
https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #51
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I used the cigarette lighter power supply but soldered my own wires inside it so there was no visible wires or adapter.

Next time I'll probably connect direct to the accessory fuse box.

I'm really tempted by the convenience of the dual modules. 90$ is my budget. Rear quality suffers but rear is less important. Important is discretion and motion-detect buffer features:
https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/
I'm finding rear to be almost more important than the front where I live - that's why i'm opting for separate cams. Also considering wifi cards to automatically remotely upload video files to my NAS drive but it'll take some thought before I put that into practise.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #52
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

That would be neat!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #53
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I think cars should start coming with cams as an optional extra. It took a while for manufacturers to make the USB port standard. Well that was a move to annihilate the after market head units in part and keep customers locked into their own head units and audio systems.

Anyhow my rant is lane drifters. This morning on the A406 a guy started to drift into my lane. I flashed him once very briefly. At the lights he rolls down his window: "oi why you driving up my ass and flashing me u fking pussy." I ignored him but I wish had a cam in case I had not seen him drifting and ignoring his shoulder check. I kept calm. It was the guys behind me who drove up his bum because he was doing 30 on a 50 stretch in his brand new focus std
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #54
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Another cam advantage: make youtube videos of stupid drivers, interesting things you notice...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #55
FHE92
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
I'm finding rear to be almost more important than the front where I live - that's why i'm opting for separate cams. Also considering wifi cards to automatically remotely upload video files to my NAS drive but it'll take some thought before I put that into practise.
very true, as since I have had the the cameras (6 months), I have used the rear footage as evidence for an accident I was near!
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #56
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
I think cars should start coming with cams as an optional extra. It took a while for manufacturers to make the USB port standard. Well that was a move to annihilate the after market head units in part and keep customers locked into their own head units and audio systems.

Anyhow my rant is lane drifters. This morning on the A406 a guy started to drift into my lane. I flashed him once very briefly. At the lights he rolls down his window: "oi why you driving up my ass and flashing me u fking pussy." I ignored him but I wish had a cam in case I had not seen him drifting and ignoring his shoulder check. I kept calm. It was the guys behind me who drove up his bum because he was doing 30 on a 50 stretch in his brand new focus std
I wish people like that would do us all a favour and let natural selection take it's course
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #57
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
I have a theory on this, the morons who do this, are incapable of positioning a car between two lines, or half blind, or too lazy, so they need to park right up against another car, so then they "know" where to park

I always park with at least ten spaces empty in all directions, going back to the car on one occasion I spot a stupid cow in a shitty Kia about to take out the side of my M3, the "about to" should tell you what happened next, me sprinting at my car/her car, she decided I was a loony, and suddenly pulled off and did the same to some other poor sod.

Never had the chance to one of these morons, to ask WHY, to test my theory.

I feel a little better now
Haha so...I come back to my car at work today - despite parking it away from everyone else on purpose....and look what I found. Yes I parked slightly more to one side of the bay but that entire side of the car park was empty the whole day.

Please...someone explain this to me?! Luckily the windows on the E92 slide down if you hold the unlock button so I could get in easily but i'm 100% sure he/she will have hit my car.

Appreciate 1
      02-02-2016, 11:11 PM   #58
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
I have a theory on this, the morons who do this, are incapable of positioning a car between two lines, or half blind, or too lazy, so they need to park right up against another car, so then they "know" where to park

I always park with at least ten spaces empty in all directions, going back to the car on one occasion I spot a stupid cow in a shitty Kia about to take out the side of my M3, the "about to" should tell you what happened next, me sprinting at my car/her car, she decided I was a loony, and suddenly pulled off and did the same to some other poor sod.

Never had the chance to one of these morons, to ask WHY, to test my theory.

I feel a little better now
Haha so...I come back to my car at work today - despite parking it away from everyone else on purpose....and look what I found. Yes I parked slightly more to one side of the bay but that entire side of the car park was empty the whole day.

Please...someone explain this to me?! Luckily the windows on the E92 slide down if you hold the unlock button so I could get in easily but i'm 100% sure he/she will have hit my car.

Suggestion no. 1 of many
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 12:58 AM   #59
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Quote:
If only I could explain, it happens so regularly, that law of averages says one of them will be doing it when I get back to the car. Then they won't be leaving until they have explained WHY, not that it will make sense, because any reason/excuse defies common sense.

As an aside, have you got "naughty" plates, your camera flash producing that flare from the front plate would suggest it, certainly cannot read your plate, and it doesn't look like a typical "photoshop" number removal

Last edited by MERLIN335i; 02-03-2016 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #60
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

lmao I'm tempted to do that next time.

MERLIN335i I hope it's not a naughty plate haha! Only had the car a few months so no idea where the plate came from. Now that you mention it, it's quite different to the car next to it eh! Hopefully it's just a lucky camera angle
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #61
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have a cigarette lighter in my centre console/armrest so plan on using a dual usb-cigarette lighter charger to support the front and rear cameras. Just need to find a couple of long cables and a discreet way to run one through to the rear cam.

Will probably mount the rear one in the corner of the window
You can run the cables underneath the rear seats and under the edge of where the seats or plastic parts meet the fabric. That's what I've done. You don't see any wires.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #62
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Another cam advantage: make youtube videos of stupid drivers, interesting things you notice...
I'm still waiting to capture something interesting. Does help to remember the numbers of unmarked cars you see going past with their lights on though
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #63
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

My career is taking another nice backwards step/frustrating turn.
I've been turned down for a role I applied for within my own company. I have 6 yrs experience and used to do the job which became vacant again. A useless person was fired. Someone I said was useless from the start.

I've also not had a pay rise in 2 years since one particular person decided they didn't like me. There's a clique of people who run things here and i'm not popular with them, despite showing I have great ability. None of my good work get's noticed by people further up the chain. I've been black balled.

I'm looking at a graduate diploma in law as one option to becoming a solicitor. Is anyone on here a solicitor?

How would they rate the stress levels of the job and the typical salaries that are available.

The other option is to go contracting as a tester. £400 a day looks possible. I'd plan to work 6mths a year in salary calcs. To be realistic of annul take home pay.

I'm absolutely disgusted right now.
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #64
loknar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I feel for you

I hate office drama. Blame poor management for letting this sort of thing happen. By incompetence, or just because they like it this way - since they bathe in injustice every day. But usually it's just lazy, incompetent management.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #65
Craig242
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
My career is taking another nice backwards step/frustrating turn.
I've been turned down for a role I applied for within my own company. I have 6 yrs experience and used to do the job which became vacant again. A useless person was fired. Someone I said was useless from the start.

I've also not had a pay rise in 2 years since one particular person decided they didn't like me. There's a clique of people who run things here and i'm not popular with them, despite showing I have great ability. None of my good work get's noticed by people further up the chain. I've been black balled.

I'm looking at a graduate diploma in law as one option to becoming a solicitor. Is anyone on here a solicitor?

How would they rate the stress levels of the job and the typical salaries that are available.

The other option is to go contracting as a tester. £400 a day looks possible. I'd plan to work 6mths a year in salary calcs. To be realistic of annul take home pay.

I'm absolutely disgusted right now.
That's unfortunate mate. Why did they turn you down for it?

Regarding contract software testing, this is what I do currently and from what I've seen £400 /day is do-able but does depend on your skill set for that rate. What skills do you have?
Coding? Automation frameworks? Agile? Continuous integration? etc..

If yes to the above then that rate is certainly within reach, however if mainly manual testing experience I would aim slightly lower.

Cheers,
Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #66
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
AWSAWS - You need to leave! Stop falling for the company bullshit. They couldn't give a crap if you were found in a ditch tomorrow (excuse my brashness). Unless you have some real love for the company or it makes some revolutionary technology and you see yourself climbing to the top, just get out. It's not worth working places where there is a thick layer of cosy management, just keeping themselves in a job merely by turning up and not ever allowing anyone else a chance.

Several friends from my old employer are in the same situation as you, as was I until I left. Lots of hot air promises and kept on low wages, despite being very capable engineers. They have stagnant wages while the CEO, who did just resign with immediate effect on Monday gave himself 5% rises every year. They guy was earning more than the 20x larger competitor's CEO despite the company not even turning a profit. . Top level management was just a joke. No one making a difficult decision, constant buck passing.

In that case, seems the new chairman is finally sorting things as of this week, but after 4-5 years of wrong decisions, how long before that company turns around? I could have waited it out, but what for? What am I gaining from that?

You've got 6 years under your belt. It's time to leave. People start to ask questions when your CV says 1 job over 10 years. Try another company, you'll learn a lot more from new people than you will butting heads with the same old faces.

I start a new job at the end of the month, and I already have a plan of what job I want after that and what skills I need to acquire in this role to achieve that goal.
Appreciate 1