E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Why is factory fit Sat Nav still so expensive?

Closed Thread

02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Imaginary M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
But what if you don't want i-drive and don't need or like satnav?

Then it's about as useful as selecting an in car fridge - silly money and pointless.

Not just me that doesn't like it either:

http://themobileexperience.blogspot....lly-sucks.html

And many journos have criticised it too.

Now to have something I find irritating just because it might make the car more attractive to sell (by which time it will be ancient anyway) is insane.

http://www.uselog.com/2007/12/more-b...lution-of.html

Inside the 3-series, the shapes and the controls are mostly carried over, but the materials are upgraded to alleviate the somewhat stark overall appearance. The iDrive system has gone through another round of simplifications. The navigation menu looks suspiciously similar to that of Audi’s MMI system; a few useful buttons let you bypass the system. We don’t exactly love it now, but it’s user-friendly enough not to make you run anymore. You can still skip iDrive altogether by not ordering a factory-installed navigation system

Like the customers who will eventually use it, iDrive will either adapt or die. As my review of the Seven (7 series) will reveal, the actual car-the bit that all this trickery is designed to control-is a superb work of automotive engineering. By adding an uber gizmo, The Boys From Bavaria have revealed a bizarre lack of confidence in and focus on their core values. The company that builds 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' is the one company that should know an over-complicated and dangerous distraction when it sees one. The iDrive is not, as BMW claims, 'A New Way to Drive'. It is, in fact, a new way to die.

Now Irnbru we all know you love having a pop, we all know you won't admit to what 3er you actually drive, we know you love negativity but to suggest a dealer won't take a heavily-in-demand low mileage 335d because it hasn't got xenons or satnav is the most ludicrous piece of self justification I have ever seen. Complete and utter cr4p. Have you added to this thread? No you have just had cheap shots. Do you in fact even own a 3 series BMW? I'm beginning to doubt it.
The new HD based iDrive is far better than the older one maybe if you had first hand experince of that you would know (before your know it all nature kicked in), as few on here have and have commented on in other posts.

How is it complete and utter crap as you like to put it that a dealer wont want a heavily in demand car with poor options list they and leather are two most important ones, i admit that 335d is very popular car for good reason, but the dealer will always look for nicely specd cars first. And if a dealer would bid on a car without those options it would be a very low and poor bid. so get over it... but then agian the car should have been cheap to start with so its all swings and roundabouts.

I was going to add a disclaimer to my post because i knew you would come steaming in as usual, but i thought what is the point...

See your at it again jumping to assumption at what i may or may not have.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #24
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I have the new Nav (hard disk) and love it. Had a tomtom before which is no match to the new nav of BMW. Route calculations are so fast, huge screen, no need to cary around. You can plan routs at home (if you want to make a tour) and load it up using a usb stick.
I pod connection and display of the menu on the screen is great, the same for the phone book. Easy to scroll through with the i-drive.
Then PDC, you see how close you are getting to an obstacle in front and back.

Sure the system is not cheap, but I would still not like to miss it. Especially when you drive a lot it is of great benefit.

Negative point: the upgrades are expensive. I as quoted about 200 euro to get the 2010 maps. This I find crazy!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #25
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

@335diesel Im not having a pop before you start again, maybe your a bit of a technophobia thats why you dont get on with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnbrukid View Post
The new HD based iDrive is far better than the older one...
It is indeed , how much have the graphics improved as well
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #27
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Quote:
@335diesel Im not having a pop before you start again, maybe your a bit of a technophobia thats why you dont get on with it.
Of course, that's why I look after several client websites, help two bands get their sound perfect at gigs, have set up networks for various companies I have worked for, etc, etc. I like technology - when it's useful.

What I don't like is your constant popping at my car when you won't even ADMIT what yours is. I have optional alloys (yes standard SE alloys are grim), leather, full sunroof, sports suspension and two interior packs - that is way more than several 335ds I considered. Stop having cheap shots at my car. I suggest it's probably that you drive some lame engined car specced up to the eyeballs - why didn't you just get a better engine? Or can't you afford the fuel and insurance? I bought my car to DRIVE not fanny around with. It's dripping with technology (already borderline OTT) as it is - it doesn't need anything else. It's a superb car with a perfect spec for us. Every time you post yet another bleating moaning comment, it just makes me realise that you really aren't a very happy bloke at all.

Now what are you doing on this website? It's not to add any comments to. It's not to share a laugh. It's not to give anyone a sense of the "joy" you feel in owning a 3 series (that is if you do at all). It's just to spread the most miserable on-line persona I think I've ever seen.

If you do have a 3 series, I imagine it's for the image and "prestige," to take ridiculous cheap shots others (not just me) and nothing to do with how they drive, are built and how good the engines are.

Why not give it a rest and let the rest of us share knowledge/experience/laughs eh?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #28
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
It is indeed , how much have the graphics improved as well
Yes but some people that dont even have it know better..........
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #29
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Of course, that's why I look after several client websites, help two bands get their sound perfect at gigs, have set up networks for various companies I have worked for, etc, etc. I like technology - when it's useful.

What I don't like is your constant popping at my car when you won't even ADMIT what yours is. I have optional alloys (yes standard SE alloys are grim), leather, full sunroof, sports suspension and two interior packs - that is way more than several 335ds I considered. Stop having cheap shots at my car. I suggest it's probably that you drive some lame engined car specced up to the eyeballs - why didn't you just get a better engine? Or can't you afford the fuel and insurance? I bought my car to DRIVE not fanny around with. It's dripping with technology (already borderline OTT) as it is - it doesn't need anything else. It's a superb car with a perfect spec for us. Every time you post yet another bleating moaning comment, it just makes me realise that you really aren't a very happy bloke at all.

Now what are you on this website? It's not to add any comments to. It's not to share a laugh. It's not to give anyone a sense of the "joy" you feel in owning a 3 series (that is if you do at all). It's just to spread the most miserable on-line persona I think I've ever seen.

If you do have a 3 series, I imagine it's for the image and "prestige" and nothing to do with how they drive, are built and how good the engines are.

Why not give it a rest and let the rest of us share knowledge/experience/laughs eh?
See there you go again cant help yourself... why i asked if you were a technophobe was the fact you were 'moaning' about your two PC's at the business and thinking about changing to a mac to give you an easier/better user experience thats all.

How am i having cheap shots at your car all i said and i stand by it 100% is 'i' wouldnt buy a 335 without those options end off... you are happy with your car and it suits your needs so thats all that should matter to you, it really seems to bother you or you wouldnt make such a fuss about it would you.

I dont drive some small engined specd to the eyeballs car, i drive a car that does exactly what i need from it at this time, i dont think its the greatest thing since sliced bread and need to spread the word all over the internet.
Oh and i can afford to insure and run it.

Why am i on this website, why are you on it?? if you hadnt noticed ive been a member longer than you have i dont feel the need to splatter my whole fantastic life all over the site, i only really post when i think i have something relevant to say about what is being discussed but will always read posts everyday doesnt mean i need to post everyday.

And the biggest laugh ive ever heard you commenting on someone elses online persona fuck me were you not banned from here!!! for your 'persona' how many other sites have you been hounded out of because of your crazy nature, threatning people on here in Pm's and such.

If was buying a car for prestige or image would it not be an Audi, im just wondering why you dont have one, you know a 'cocks' car.........
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #30
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

Now what are you doing on this website? It's not to add any comments to. It's not to share a laugh. It's not to give anyone a sense of the "joy" you feel in owning a 3 series (that is if you do at all). It's just to spread the most miserable on-line persona I think I've ever seen.

If you do have a 3 series, I imagine it's for the image and "prestige," to take ridiculous cheap shots others (not just me) and nothing to do with how they drive, are built and how good the engines are.

Quick Matt - have another one of your pills before the red mist comes down

Seriously though, if anyone has experienced the original idrive in the 7 series, they will understand why it was criticised by journalists. The 'eight way' selector was stupidly complex and confusing.

The system that debuted in the 3 series was MUCH better, but by then the damage had been done. It still wasn't perfect though, it was slow, prone to locking up and the most important shortcuts were not well explained or intuitive.

That said, anyone who used the old system for more than a couple of hours, who was moderately techo-literate would figure it out and begin to see the benefits of it.

The new system is better yet, with shortcut buttons to make it simpler still and a hard drive format to speed everything up.

No-one should be fooled by negative idrive reviews anymore as they simply aren't based in fact.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #31
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nice little insult there Irnbru.

So you'd rathe remain some bitter little keyboard warrior than actually admit to having a real life?
You'd rather just dig at everyone else's car/life/business while not letting on anything about yourself? I wonder why? Could it be because if you did, you'd reveal yourself as seriously short of anything to say? Because your posts strongly suggest that you don't get out much, don't do a lot, go to great lengths to try and insult and bring down others, assume I'd be bothered enough to search all your posts (which you have clearly done to me), etc, etc.

You aren't an enthusiastic, you are just a poorly disguised troll.

Hey, the ones on here that have met up - are they "splashing their lives all over the internet" too? I'm guessing you've never met anyone from here? Thought not.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #32
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Seriously though, if anyone has experienced the original idrive in the 7 series, they will understand why it was criticised by journalists. The 'eight way' selector was stupidly complex and confusing.
I'm going to have a nightmare just thinking about it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #33
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
I'm going to have a nightmare just thinking about it
I nearly bought a seven series and it was really annoying. Instead of N,S,E and W movements you also access functions by pushing the selector NE, SE, SW and NW. So eight way movement.

Far to complicated for the average seven series owner
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
When I tested a 750i with the Independent (in that piece where readers test cars for them and write it up) I couldn't believe that it:

1)Had no proper handbrake
2)Was techno overload x 1110000000
3)Had a stalk for gear selection (!)

The journo (David Wilkins) had driven from London in it and HATED the i-drive so went to major lengths to get around using it!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #35
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Nice little insult there Irnbru.

So you'd rathe remain some bitter little keyboard warrior than actually admit to having a real life?
You'd rather just dig at everyone else's car/life/business while not letting on anything about yourself? I wonder why? Could it be because if you did, you'd reveal yourself as seriously short of anything to say? Because your posts strongly suggest that you don't get out much, don't do a lot, go to great lengths to try and insult and bring down others, assume I'd be bothered enough to search all your posts (which you have clearly done to me), etc, etc.

You aren't an enthusiastic, you are just a poorly disguised troll.

Hey, the ones on here that have met up - are they "splashing their lives all over the internet" too? I'm guessing you've never met anyone from here? Thought not.
If anyone is a keyboard warrior or thinks they are its you, you seem to want to wage war on anyone who doesnt agree with what you say.

How am i having a dig at whatever you own/do etc.. your car (engine excluded) is not for me so get over it, when did i bring your business into it i dont even know (or care) what you do, well i know you live in cornwall or something since its splattered all over here, it will be a good quality of life for you and your family down there oh and you like to surf.

As for me not wishing to splash my private life all over the internet, thats just me im not a billy blowhard (not saying the users on here are), ive got loads of friends have a great social life but dont need to shout from the rooftops about it.

I havent been away looking up your all your posts i'l leave that to you, when you dragged up some argument from another forum (3 months ago) over here last week that others here linked to all the forum thats you spread your nasty nature around... thats when all your skeletons came out the closet. You are the one thats been looking at my profile the other day so whats your answer to that.

Im a troll get a grip, why just because i dont agree with what you say or think, how many of the forum meets have you been to?? you stay closer to most of them than i do. And is it a rule that if your a member here you have to attend the meets?

And who else's car have i been having a pop at while were at you could tell me who they are as i dont seem to recollect me doing that.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #36
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

So we have taken quite a interesting thread and yet again a ruk has started....

oh well
      02-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #37
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

He could start a row in a phonebox without being on the phone.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
I have the new Nav (hard disk) and love it. Had a tomtom before which is no match to the new nav of BMW. Route calculations are so fast, huge screen, no need to cary around. You can plan routs at home (if you want to make a tour) and load it up using a usb stick.
I pod connection and display of the menu on the screen is great, the same for the phone book. Easy to scroll through with the i-drive.
Then PDC, you see how close you are getting to an obstacle in front and back.
I'd agree Marcel.
Funnily enough my last car (factory ordered) did not come with the I-drive (choice) as I had experienced the last system and was far from impressed, and a Tom Tom was as good as if not better than the BMW system.

The latest Nav and I-drive is a breeze and as I never specced it, I think it's great. You'd have to be seriously brain challenged to not work out how to use it within a couple of minutes.

Quote:
When I tested a 750i with the Independent (in that piece where readers test cars for them and write it up) I couldn't believe that it:

1)Had no proper handbrake
2)Was techno overload x 1110000000
3)Had a stalk for gear selection (!)

The journo (David Wilkins) had driven from London in it and HATED the i-drive so went to major lengths to get around using it!
Really?

You were the only one to mention the i-drive in the feature, and you were quite impressed with the car.

As a matter of interest, did you get a fee for your review?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #39
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
He could start a row in a phonebox without being on the phone.
He could start a fight in an empty room
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #40
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
He could start a fight in an empty room
Padded one would hope
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #41
Irnbrukid
Major
Scotland
Rep

Who me?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #42
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Who me?
I think not somehow
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #43
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd agree Marcel.
Funnily enough my last car (factory ordered) did not come with the I-drive (choice) as I had experienced the last system and was far from impressed, and a Tom Tom was as good as if not better than the BMW system.

The latest Nav and I-drive is a breeze and as I never specced it, I think it's great. You'd have to be seriously brain challenged to not work out how to use it within a couple of minutes.

Really?

You were the only one to mention the i-drive in the feature, and you were quite impressed with the car.

As a matter of interest, did you get a fee for your review?

Of course I didn't get a fee - that's not how that feature works. I thought the car was brilliant DESPITE the i-drive techno shite. It was a shame that it overloaded on techical nonsense because the chassis and engine are excellent.

David Wilkins doesn't mention it but he does have a voice as well as the written word - he thought the i-drive was daft but otherwise liked the car too.

Now this padded wallpaper - anyone any idea where I can get some?

Just cleaned the car with our little boy (he sort of helps by "cleaning" the Jimny) - lovely feeling of clean car, kept him happy for a bit and now it's gleaming.

That Supagard stuff seems poorly rated but five months after getting the car, it's still very easy to get it deeply glossy and sparkling. With the wheels "sealed" even the alloys are breeze to wash (with a pressure washer of course).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #44
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
David Wilkins doesn't mention it but he does have a voice as well as the written word - he thought the i-drive was daft but otherwise liked the car too.
So the written feature was pretty much pointless than,yes?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread