E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Why is factory fit Sat Nav still so expensive?

Closed Thread

02-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #67
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Another classic thread.

Many car journos rubbish aspects of cars they just don't get used to. I-Drive needs some time to get used to. This doesn't make it rubbish. There was a similar panning of the SMGII gearbox in the M3, but once you got used to it and could change smoothly with skill I thought is was brilliant. This no doubt makes me a "non-enthusiast", whatever that is.

Integrated Nav and I-Drive is better than Tomtoms (which I also have). Tomtoms have trailing wires, screens are tiny, even touch screen can be fiddly, often out of reach on windscreen, you have to take them off when you park, you have to clean off the tell tale suction marks, the TMC never bl**dy works, etc. The interface in some ways is simpler with the touch screen, but aside from some amusement from taking directions from Yoda or Darth Vader, they just are too much of a faff.

The ability to scroll using the wheel for most functions is really easy and not distracting at all. The radio station function is brilliant for scanning stations. The TMC functionality is superbly executed with informative graphics. Scrolling through MP3 tracks - easy. Coupled with the Voice input, which I must admit at first seems like a gimmick, it really becomes an easy way to access stuff. Compared to the old E46 Sat Nav with a single twiddle/push knob i-drive is miles better.

Saying that a car without I-drive is better than one with it makes no sense, given that it only makes functions easier - which functions are easier without I-drive exactly?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #68
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
What I have said again and again and again is that I (that's ME) don't like i-drive after several bad experiences. Then added to that there are even BLOGS about how much people hate it. And poor journos reports - so I am not alone despite yet another E90Post attempt at isolation on this (and many) subjects.

What happens here is that if I dare suggest I don't want i-drive, don't see the point in a 320d Coupe, don't like massive alloys, didn't want M Sport kit, etc then god knows how many jump in and have a go because they don't just disagree, they just cannot see a different point of view.

Each time I suggest something a little "different" a motley crew gets all narkey and has a little hissey fit.

Sorry I bought a BMW for different reasons to most of you. Sorry I bought it for the engine, the chassis, the build quality. Sorry looks and gadgets weren't top of my wanted list. I must apologise for not wanting a rock hard 4 pot with a NASA computer and a poor ride. Sorry I want a car that actually blends in subtly yet still goes like the clappers. Sorry I don't want blacklines or a remap. Sorry I have no interest in a black grille, oversized tyres that are impossible to get in essential non RFT form, wheels that have never ever cracked and aren't from a Tonka toy. Sorry that the power, the torque and the handling are more than I ever wanted and that the car brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it when I really should be crying at the lack of a pointless (to ME) computer system and black headlining. Sorry I am not the same as every one of you and bought the car simply to do a perfect job of fun and comfort.

I am sorry, I truly am
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:56 AM   #69
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335diesel View Post
god knows how many jump in and have a go because they don't just disagree, they just cannot see a different point of view.

Each time I suggest something a little "different" a motley crew gets all narkey and has a little hissey fit.
Pot. Kettle. Black.

I have been a moderator over on the BMWCar forum for about 8 years and there's getting on for a million postings on there. In all that time I don't think I've ever come across anyone who gets quite so irate when his views are not subscribed to nor anyone who goes to such extravagant lengths to justify himself or his opinions.

Lively debate is all well and good but your total dismissal of virtually anything that's not a 335d SE with a panoramic sunroof gets tiring.

Do you not see that saying "I don't see the point in a 320d Coupe" (which is an undeniably handsome car with getting on for 200bhp, the figure that was decried as irresponsible not so long ago when the RS Cosworth appeared) might offend somebody who has just proudly purchased one?

If you don't see how that might put somebody's nose out of joint then you may very well have the bipolar disorder that was hinted at on another thread.

I don't see why you get so confrontational and so incredibly defensive about everything.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #70
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Xenon - maybe it's because I get a little sick of everyone piling in and having a go for the sake of it. I express opinions then a little merry gang (always the same people) jump in and have a bleat. I suggested that i-drive is not for me - everyone steps in and states how I'm wrong and how the lack of it makes a car worthless despite numerous others agreeing with me (outside of E90). I mention that I'm not that interested in M Sport stuff - again an opinion shared with many others - but not on here - Suddenly an SE, regarded by many as the best compromise of comfort and handling for UK roads it "sh*t edition" or whatever. The 17" alloys I have, stated by at least two well known mags as giving the best ride, are mocked constantly for being too small.

Perhaps it should just be ignored but when no one agrees with you, not one person says a good word about the car you are chuffed to bits with, when everyone seems on a mission to cut you down and generally have a nasty dig, it gets tiresome.

This website is very useful, helpful and often funny but there is a hardcore of members that I think are here for the wrong reasons - there's no excitement, no enthusiasm - just a desire for a car that looks "better" than anyone elses with "look at me" spec - it's worse than the Joneses.

I'd just like to see more stuff about the positives of the E90 rather than just "where can I get blacklines/a remap/25" alloys"

Seems I'm asking too much?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #71
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Sorry I bought a BMW for different reasons to most of you. Sorry I bought it for the engine, the chassis, the build quality. Sorry looks and gadgets weren't top of my wanted list. I must apologise for not wanting a rock hard 4 pot with a NASA computer and a poor ride. Sorry I want a car that actually blends in subtly yet still goes like the clappers. Sorry I don't want blacklines or a remap. Sorry I have no interest in a black grille, oversized tyres that are impossible to get in essential non RFT form, wheels that have never ever cracked and aren't from a Tonka toy. Sorry that the power, the torque and the handling are more than I ever wanted and that the car brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it when I really should be crying at the lack of a pointless (to ME) computer system and black headlining. Sorry I am not the same as every one of you and bought the car simply to do a perfect job of fun and comfort.

I am sorry, I truly am
Passive aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #72
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Don't knock it until you've tried it, the latest idrive is a vast improvement over the old and as for the Nav function, because the system is on in the background all the time satellite acquisition is instant and so therefore is route calculation.

The HD allows for decent storage capacity,

Bluetooth works flawlessly with the two Nokias I've used

Car systems and setting are much easier to navigate
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #73
Penyfan1960
Trooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Don't knock it until you've tried it, the latest idrive is a vast improvement over the old and as for the Nav function, because the system is on in the background all the time satellite acquisition is instant and so therefore is route calculation.

The HD allows for decent storage capacity,

Bluetooth works flawlessly with the two Nokias I've used

Car systems and setting are much easier to navigate
+1
Have always liked the idrive - old and new. Always thought that people who can't handle idrive are the sort who used to always have a down on computers.
And there's not much around which can equal the dual display of the Prof Sat Nav and the idrive controller is so easy to use, it is just different to most systems and some do not like the unfamiliar.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 04:04 AM   #74
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
We need it. Too much talk of blacklines, remaps, blacklines, remaps, blacklines, remaps.....

On topic though, a lot of people who moan about i-drive dont realise there is a really basic shortcut that save you having to return the to the menus. (And I had a 53 plate 7 series and that I -drive was cool too).

If you have it, you appreciate all the little extras - voice controlled stopwatch remember

If you dont have it, its because you didnt have the patience or cash to wait for the right car. When you selll it on, every punter wants I -drive, and all the dealers use no I-drive as an excuse to pay crap p/x.

I'd never spec it on a new BMW though, cos I wouldnt buy a new one
Not this sort though - its like a cyclical routine ranging from direct attacks, predicatable retorts and insecurity.....

All in favour of banter Paul you know that. Now remind me.... why should I fit blacklines

On that stopwatch thingie, why on earth does it not do 1/10 of seconds though?

Last edited by TMP; 02-09-2010 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #75
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This website is very useful, helpful and often funny but there is a hardcore of members that I think are here for the wrong reasons - there's no excitement, no enthusiasm - just a desire for a car that looks "better" than anyone elses with "look at me" spec - it's worse than the Joneses.
You don't get to decide what the 'right reasons' to be here are.

Quote:
Seems I'm asking too much?
If you believe that this entire website should revolve around you then you are asking far far too much.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 04:45 AM   #76
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Okay, fair enough - no one else think along remotely similar lines, anything I don't like is an "attack" and I'm a fool for avoiding certain options and would have been better off with a 318d M Sport with a zillion options. And for daring to express opinons and think differently, I'm trying to make the forum revolve around myself. Eh?

Yawn.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 04:48 AM   #77
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Okay, fair enough - no one else think along remotely similar lines, anything I don't like is an "attack" and I'm a fool for avoiding certain options and would have been better off with a 318d M Sport with a zillion options. And for daring to express opinons and think differently, I'm trying to make the forum revolve around myself. Eh?

Yawn.
You don't give anyone an opportunity to attack you. You tend to get your defence in first.

I posted earlier in this thread that choosing the factory nav was a matter of personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #78
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
You don't give anyone an opportunity to attack you. You tend to get your defence in first.

I posted earlier in this thread that choosing the factory nav was a matter of personal choice.
And I agreed. What I did object to was the implication that by avoiding it, I am "missing out" and killing the value of my car. I disagree. In a long winded manner.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #79
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
And I agreed. What I did object to was the implication that by avoiding it, I am "missing out" and killing the value of my car. I disagree. In a long winded manner.
Not sure about killing the value of your car, but your are hurting it*.

*Fact as Glasses guide price book inlcudes Nav.
      02-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #80
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So by avoiding something I didn't want, my car might be worth slightly less.

I can live with that. I bought it for us, not someone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #81
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Not wishing to become embroiled in this argument I would suggest that by buying used, 335 has avoided the whole "the car is worth less than a model with it" argument - this would surely only apply had you bought the car new and stood to loose a greater percentage of the cars value as initial owner?

Given that 335 bought a car without it, he has arguably paid less than he would have for a car wth it (as so many have suggested), so he can afford to sell it for less when it comes to sale time.

However, I would suggest that, a 6 cylinder model will take longer to sell without nav than those with it. Given the 335i/d are, M3 aside, top of the 3'er range all the dealers I have spoken to say it's a lot harder to move one without nav than it is with it.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #82
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penyfan1960 View Post
+1
Have always liked the idrive - old and new. Always thought that people who can't handle idrive are the sort who used to always have a down on computers.
And there's not much around which can equal the dual display of the Prof Sat Nav and the idrive controller is so easy to use, it is just different to most systems and some do not like the unfamiliar.
Although my previous car (CAYMAN S) had a nice computer, with some neat touches, like being able to send TXTs while on the move I still think the new idrive is a nicer package.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:31 AM   #83
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I'd have considered and in fact was considering a 335 without the hump - now I have the hump and use the hump - I would not consider a car in future without the hump.

This is my opinion and one I am legally entitled to. If anyone else wishes to disagree with said opinion then please feel free, but don't expect me to argue my opinion - it's an opinion - not an argument....
      02-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #84
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So have you specifically asked a dealer "is it harder to sell a 335d without nav than with?" or is this based on what you guess is true? I can't think of many situations where that question would be asked.

And yes, I paid a good price for the car - which we will keep until it's near worthless anyway. So the dubious resale issue is completely irrelevant.

Hell our boat doesn't have a depth/fishfinder (that we don't need) either - silly me as I'll struggle to sell it

What I'm struggling with is the amount of people outside of this website who have agreed completely with me on this one yet there doesn't seem to be a single one on here. Same with preferring SE to M Sport - plenty are the same but if I mention here, I get massively flamed. Maybe it's just because you love to get a rise out of me?

Why is not wanting a centralised computer to do what perfectly decent traditional controls do fine so wrong? I also prefer the "cleaner" dash - I guess that's wrong too? I didn't avoid i-drive because I couldn't afford it - I actively avoided it because I don't WANT it. That's an OPINION shared by many others. I'm sick of having what is an OPINION so completely cut down and claimed wrong.

Did you all buy your 3ers to drive or was it to fiddle around with a computer system that many cannot stand? My inlaws ditched their 535d mainly because of i-drive after 4 months - that lost them a lot of money and it was a lot of hassle yet they hated it that much. And no, they are not technophobes - far from it. And he loved the chassis, the engine and the other aspects of the car but the i-drive just killed it for them (and caused loads of related problems). It went back because of the computer failing. Now why would I want to risk the same thing? When I bought the 335d the first , rather hesitant question was "has it got i-drive?" When I said it didn't he was over the moon.

But of course you'll all ignore that once again and tell me how wrong I am... Yawn

Last edited by Em135eye; 02-09-2010 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #85
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I think it's like leather, expected on the more expensive models, sure there will be someone who prefers alcantara, but on the whole Nav is preferred on £40k models
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #86
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So have you specifically asked a dealer "is it harder to sell a 335d without nav than with?" or is this based on what you guess is true. I can't think of many situations where that question would be asked.

And yes, I paid a good price for the car - which we will keep until it's near worthless anyway.

Hell our boat doesn't have a depth/fishfinder (that we don't need) either - silly me as I'll struggle to sell it

What I'm struggling with is the amount of people outside of this website who have agreed completely with me. There doesn't seem to be a single one on here. Same with preferring SE to M Sport - plenty are the same but if I mention here, I get massively flamed.

You know what pal, you really are a prick.
I've spent the last week watching you get lambasted on these (and other forums) and thought to myself "Is that really fair, is he really bringing this on himself?"

So, when I had a point that might have helped you out a bit I thought "I'll post this, give him a bit of an ally on the form"

And how do you respond? Like a total twat, questioning the one tiny element that you didn't like the sound of.

Yes, I did ask dealers about how nav affects value and speed of resale.
I asked half a dozen dealers in fact.
I did this nearly three years ago when I was dilligently researching purchasing my NEW 325 coupe which, I'd run for two years and moved on before you even showed up on here.

As far as I'm concerned the dogs can have their pound of flesh, you're beyiond even being civil too.

Best of luck surviving the hounds. Better men than you have tried and failed.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #87
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Sheps that's really useful. Apologies for daring to question you. Your first two paras were completely fair and I actually thought "someone understands" but then you wrecked it with the third para.

A shame. You seem nice a decent bloke too.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #88
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Sheps that's really useful. Apologies for daring to question you. Your first two paras were completely fair and I actually thought "someone understands" but then you wrecked it with the third para.

A shame.
No, my post wasn't wrecked.
What was wrecked was your 'argument'.

When I was buying, I didn't know whether I should specificy i-drive or not.

I spoke to a number of dealers, all of whom told me that 6 cyclinder cars were harder to move without nav. FACT.

Don't cry just because someone has pissed on your chips.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread