E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Food!

03-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #89
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I completely missed this as I have not been on here for ages Tone.

Congratulations mate looks a blinder and my kind of restaurant.

Will be popping in when I am next down for sure.

My brother is down at the weekend seeing Tom Aikens, so I will get him to come and see you. He is a head chef so likes to try all these places out, although being a chef never actually eats much!!

I wish you all the best with your new venture mate, sure it will be extremely successful.

Guy
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #90
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I completely missed this as I have not been on here for ages Tone.

Congratulations mate looks a blinder and my kind of restaurant.

Will be popping in when I am next down for sure.

My brother is down at the weekend seeing Tom Aikens, so I will get him to come and see you. He is a head chef so likes to try all these places out, although being a chef never actually eats much!!

I wish you all the best with your new venture mate, sure it will be extremely successful.

Guy

Thanks Guy

Just had another review in the local London papers...

Click here
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #91
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Thanks Guy

Click here
I'll be testing you in the next two weeks Tone so stay posted for the 'only review that counts' hehe!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #92
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks Guy

Click here
Good review, and well deserved Tone
      03-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #93
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Congrats Tony, that must have been a tremendous effort to launch let alone with 'niggles' like flooding!

Reviews are fab
      03-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #94
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

wow Tony looks grest, congrats and good luck I think have found location for my next wedding aniversarry
      03-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #95
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
wow Tony looks grest, congrats and good luck I think have found location for my next wedding aniversarry
You'd be hard pressed to find a better location, especially for something as important as a wedding anniversary.

Su and I had a fantastic lunch there today.

The atmosphere and ambience was superb, the staff were attentive, knowledgeable,immaculately turned out, and made you feel as though you were the most important clients to walk through the door that day.

The food was fantastic,Su had toad in the hole followed by chocolate fondant with mint choc chip ice cream, I had the yorkshire pudding with beef, I made special mention of the yorkshire because I have never seen such monsters, and were the size of the sideplates.
My cauliflower cheese was without doubt the best I've had and the gravy was to die for.
My dessert was chocolate soup, yes soup!, with unbelievable moorish shortbread biccies and mint choc chip ice cream.

I could eulogise all night, come up with every fine food cliche ever written, and it would probably still lack sufficient praise.

In all it was a fantastic experience, and one we will look forward to doing time and time again.

Tony, many thanks for your time today, it was good to see you again and catch up.
The Penny Black Restaurant is a great credit to you, and will without doubt be a runaway success, and sooner than I think even you could envisage.

PS. I was wrong about my Penny Black, but I do have Penny Red's and quite a few, so when the time comes, which it will undoubtedly, there yours
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #96
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Fantastic work Tony. Fantastic review too.

I'm aspiring to have a classy restaurant one day (I have Sandwich bars at the moment) but I'm a little scared that the recession might be swinging into full effect in the next 12 months up here in the North.

I have a question: How often do you change the menu? do you have a weekly or monthly rota?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #97
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
You'd be hard pressed to find a better location, especially for something as important as a wedding anniversary.

Su and I had a fantastic lunch there today.

The atmosphere and ambience was superb, the staff were attentive, knowledgeable,immaculately turned out, and made you feel as though you were the most important clients to walk through the door that day.

The food was fantastic,Su had toad in the hole followed by chocolate fondant with mint choc chip ice cream, I had the yorkshire pudding with beef, I made special mention of the yorkshire because I have never seen such monsters, and were the size of the sideplates.
My cauliflower cheese was without doubt the best I've had and the gravy was to die for.
My dessert was chocolate soup, yes soup!, with unbelievable moorish shortbread biccies and mint choc chip ice cream.

I could eulogise all night, come up with every fine food cliche ever written, and it would probably still lack sufficient praise.

In all it was a fantastic experience, and one we will look forward to doing time and time again.

Tony, many thanks for your time today, it was good to see you again and catch up.
The Penny Black Restaurant is a great credit to you, and will without doubt be a runaway success, and sooner than I think even you could envisage.

PS. I was wrong about my Penny Black, but I do have Penny Red's and quite a few, so when the time comes, which it will undoubtedly, there yours
Ian, I wish I had known you were there today...Fiona and I also had lunch at The Penny Black today (and it was fantastic) and it would have been good to meet another forum member. We were in London for an early 10th wedding anniversary (not actually until May but this weekend suited the diary).

Word of warning, don't eat for a few days before you go....we both had scallops, fried potato and bacon to start and the beef (with plate sized yorkshires) for main and we just could not finish the main let alone have a dessert...and they sounded really good. Fantastic food though and the restaurant is gorgeous, just our cup of tea. The food has a real wow factor - the couple next to us burst out laughing (in a very good way) when our main course platter arrived!

Good to meet Tony too although as we were rushing for a flight home we could not hang around too long. Definite thumbs up from us and we will be back next time we go to London.
      03-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #98
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Ian, I wish I had known you were there today...Fiona and I also had lunch at The Penny Black today (and it was fantastic) and it would have been good to meet another forum member.
I only found that out once you had left!

I was talking to Tony and your being there came up in the conversation, you were at one point sat directly behind me

Shame
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:47 AM   #99
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I only found that out once you had left!

I was talking to Tony and your being there came up in the conversation, you were at one point sat directly behind me

Shame

For future reference, here's a photo of Ian.

03-21-2011, 03:09 AM   #100
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

thanks alot im hungry again... lol on a serious note looks great hope it turns out well!
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #101
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
For future reference, here's a photo of Ian.

That was 10 years ago Will, I'm better looking now
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #102
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

right now just to sort out baby sitter and we off
      03-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #103
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Well, I sampled the delights last night of The Penny Black as I was down in London on business, and was absolutely blown away, what a treat.

Me and my business partner arrived in London late yesterday and headed over to meet Tony. The restaurant had kindly e-mailed over tube directions so finding the place was a doddle.

Lovely place, nicely decorated, and we were made to feel like royality from the moment we stepped in. This was the first time I'd met Tony and must say what a gentlemen he is; really nice guy. Sorted out our drinks and chatted away to us before taking us to the table.

I had the London Particular to start (pea & ham soup) and it was gorgeous. Then we both had, rather predicably, the Beef Wellington. Tony had said before we ordered that we'd be stuffed after out meal but, as I eat like a gannet, thought nothing of this and put it down to some sort of bravado; how wrong was I!!! When the Beef arrived, I quickly regretted having the soup, as it was massive, such a great big piece of meat, and cooked to absolute perfection - a delight.

We were both blown away by how nice the food was and were both truly stuffed afterwards.

All the alcohol we consumed was also top-draw. The largers, wines, port and g&t went down extremely well too. Still can't get my head round how a 44 year old port hasn't gone off!!!!!

Many congratulations Tony, the place is a real credit to you, and deserves to do extremely well. Oh, and your choice of female staff, easily as classy as your food. Thalia, who served us, was not only charming & helpful but bloody gorgeous and my business partner can't stop thinking about the blond young lady who greeted us at the door .

Keep up the good work and we'll certainly be back next time we venture down south.

Here's a quick crappy snap of yours truly and the main man (I was feeling fairly 'relaxed' at this point )...
Attached Images

Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 03:37 AM   #104
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
You're wearing well for 50 Rog!
      03-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #105
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Felt like 50 stone at the time .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #106
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Well, I sampled the delights last night of The Penny Black as I was down in London on business, and was absolutely blown away, what a treat.

Me and my business partner arrived in London late yesterday and headed over to meet Tony. The restaurant had kindly e-mailed over tube directions so finding the place was a doddle.

Lovely place, nicely decorated, and we were made to feel like royality from the moment we stepped in. This was the first time I'd met Tony and must say what a gentlemen he is; really nice guy. Sorted out our drinks and chatted away to us before taking us to the table.

I had the London Particular to start (pea & ham soup) and it was gorgeous. Then we both had, rather predicably, the Beef Wellington. Tony had said before we ordered that we'd be stuffed after out meal but, as I eat like a gannet, thought nothing of this and put it down to some sort of bravado; how wrong was I!!! When the Beef arrived, I quickly regretted having the soup, as it was massive, such a great big piece of meat, and cooked to absolute perfection - a delight.

We were both blown away by how nice the food was and were both truly stuffed afterwards.

All the alcohol we consumed was also top-draw. The largers, wines, port and g&t went down extremely well too. Still can't get my head round how a 44 year old port hasn't gone off!!!!!

Many congratulations Tony, the place is a real credit to you, and deserves to do extremely well. Oh, and your choice of female staff, easily as classy as your food. Thalia, who served us, was not only charming & helpful but bloody gorgeous and my business partner can't stop thinking about the blond young lady who greeted us at the door .

Keep up the good work and we'll certainly be back next time we venture down south.

Here's a quick crappy snap of yours truly and the main man (I was feeling fairly 'relaxed' at this point )...
Was good to finally meet you Rog

Hope you got back to the hotel ok. Glad you enjoyed the food - hope to see you down this way again soon
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #107
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Ian, I wish I had known you were there today...Fiona and I also had lunch at The Penny Black today (and it was fantastic) and it would have been good to meet another forum member. We were in London for an early 10th wedding anniversary (not actually until May but this weekend suited the diary).

Word of warning, don't eat for a few days before you go....we both had scallops, fried potato and bacon to start and the beef (with plate sized yorkshires) for main and we just could not finish the main let alone have a dessert...and they sounded really good. Fantastic food though and the restaurant is gorgeous, just our cup of tea. The food has a real wow factor - the couple next to us burst out laughing (in a very good way) when our main course platter arrived!

Good to meet Tony too although as we were rushing for a flight home we could not hang around too long. Definite thumbs up from us and we will be back next time we go to London.

Great to meet you also and I hope you managed to get your flight ok. Did the little ones enjoy their Hamleys' bag of goodies?!

Hope to see you again
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #108
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

Just sent out the second newsletter for the restaurant

Name:  The Penny Black Restaurant Newsletter 02 20110329 Small.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  685.1 KB

The Penny Black Restaurant Newsletter 02 20110329.pdf
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #109
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Great to meet you also and I hope you managed to get your flight ok. Did the little ones enjoy their Hamleys' bag of goodies?!

Hope to see you again
They certainly did Tone...and the sweets from Harrods!!
      03-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #110
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Blimey Roger...is that really you?

I thought you'd be like early 40's....you know, really OLD ....don't ask why as I've no idea why I thought that!

But no, you look like you're similar age to me...an youthful person in your early 30's

Could just be very effective surgery though

I am going to run and hide now!
Appreciate 0