E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Differences between Xdrive and RWD 6 speed manual transmission

06-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 3281 X-Drive

Differences between Xdrive and RWD 6 speed manual transmission

I have a client's car in the shop with a 2011 335 Xdrive 6 speed manual that has lost reverse gear. It has proven quite difficult to find a used transmission for an x-drive. I know finding parts to repair/rebuild the trans is also not an option. Is the RWD 6 speed compatible with Xdrive transfer case?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Unfortunately it is not compatible. RWD 6 speed transmissions do not have that flange at the end that connects to the transfer case.

Pictures for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #3
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep

Thanks Cdirks, I took a look at pics of both online and realized the same. It appears the front half is the same for both but the back section is where the cases and output shaft change.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibroluxious View Post
Thanks Cdirks, I took a look at pics of both online and realized the same. It appears the front half is the same for both but the back section is where the cases and output shaft change.
No problem

As far as procuring a replacement, perhaps a part out from fb marketplace would have something you could use? Not ideal for a business which it sounds like you may be, but better than no trans at all :
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
sav_e92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘07 328xi Coupe

Quote:
I have a client's car in the shop with a 2011 335 Xdrive 6 speed manual that has lost reverse gear. It has proven quite difficult to find a used transmission for an x-drive. I know finding parts to repair/rebuild the trans is also not an option. Is the RWD 6 speed compatible with Xdrive transfer case?
How local do you need the source to be? Searching car-part.com reveals several reasonably low mileage (~100k miles) manual trannys for XDrive in my area (VT/NY). Dunno what it costs to ship one but it may be worth it for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
vibroluxious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGE_VT_E92 View Post
How local do you need the source to be? Searching car-part.com reveals several reasonably low mileage (~100k miles) manual trannys for XDrive in my area (VT/NY). Dunno what it costs to ship one but it may be worth it for you.
That was one of the first places we looked. The two listed are the same trans and it has already been sold.

I'm a 20 plus year Acura Master Tech but I do all of the BMW work in our shop and own 3 of them myself.

First time I've ever had an issue sourcing a part, but I think our parts dept has tracked one down.

Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
That was one of the first places we looked. The two listed are the same trans and it has already been sold.

I'm a 20 plus year Acura Master Tech but I do all of the BMW work in our shop and own 3 of them myself.

First time I've ever had an issue sourcing a part, but I think our parts dept has tracked one down.

Thanks again guys.
Manual with X-drive is not a common combination. When I bought mine, I wanted manual and x-drive. The sales guy had to search all US inventory to find one and there wasn't any. I had to order to be build from Germany that way. Waited two months for delivery. It was 2006, long ago. 14 years later, still going good. It was well worth it.
Appreciate 0