E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Exhaust burrbles/gurggles on our platform compared to N55 w/ PPK

05-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #89
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW MY12 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
There's a bit happening, but there's only so much one guy can do. You won't really find much info here though. Have a good read through this one for progress:

XDF Progress
He's really pushing forward, got to read more on that forum, seems way more technically oriented than here (no offense to anyone). My 'dig' was more at the likes of COBB, who could have recruited some guys to do this 9-5 everyday and move it forward but instead just picked off the low hanging fruit, profited, then left when the going got harder with newer platforms.

What was awesome in the Evo world where I'm from, is there's loads of jaymonas and martials, all chipping away in their spare time, first finding all the tables and when that was complete, adding features that weren't in the stock rom like full flex fuel control, launch maps, dual mapping and on the fly map switching, the list goes on. Thing is now though there's enough guys trying to make a living from tuning that they hold onto their knowledge to benefit only them, which I understand, but is sad from a wider community standpoint. Luckily though the guys who did the most development shared it with everyone and continue to do so now. Buying a BMW has blown my mind, it's like I've gone back in time to 2001 when we were just defining the first tables and identifying the most basic subroutines for the Evo 6 ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
would it be possible to base our tunes on the N54 PPK rom?

it seems it is possible to flash MSD81 with PPK for free, but then no xdf for the tables????
The PPK rom likely alters values in tables no one can see or understands! Other than the normal load/boost control/timing/fuel tables.

Last edited by T1M; 05-01-2016 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #90
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
would it be possible to base our tunes on the N54 PPK rom?

it seems it is possible to flash MSD81 with PPK for free, but then no xdf for the tables????
The PPK is still the same IJE0S ROM type, so the IJE0S XDF works just the same. There are differences between stock and PPK that aren't defined in the XDF. They may or may not be useful changes. My thoughts are that if BMW changed it for a higher power ROM, then it's probably a change worth having! I'm going to use PPK as a base for my next ground-up tune once the RR600s are fitted.

There is a bit of info from post #70 onwards here:

Anyone have a PPK BIN?
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #91
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

How's this for N54 crackles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=aqIAKu7-Fd8
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #92
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by einserM View Post
Jesus
      05-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #93
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

After hanging around/driving with my mates RS3, and listening to the always crackling video I posted above a few times, I think the 'always on' crackling might get a bit annoying, especially if you drive the car everyday.

What Audi do on the RS3 is they don't just have crackle on decel. It only crackles when free-revving OR after an acceleration event breaching a given load threshold, it will crackle during decel after a downshift if no throttle is applied. This means you get nice normal overrun sound if you just back off then back on the throttle (and also keep EGT's in check plus don't beat up on the turbo too much) but if you back off the throttle then downshift while staying off the throttle, then it crackles. It adds IMO the right amount of character without overdoing it.

Now we just need a Jaymona to write some new code that references load, TPS%, and gear, and if the right conditions are met then *crackles*
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #94
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Anybody tried that guys? I can't test it out yet until my ankle heals.
I have his base map and working with him currently with some progress.

There is a n54 ppk map over on the bb forum but don't know what rom version it is and have not tried.

j dub any insight on your progress?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:43 PM   #95
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
I have his base map and working with him currently with some progress.

There is a n54 ppk map over on the bb forum but don't know what rom version it is and have not tried.

j dub any insight on your progress?
Yea there is but I heard that the ppk exhaust over there does not produce burbbles or gurggles. I hope that's false though.

No progress from me. I have an injury so I can't help BuraQ anymore until I get healed up.

Is that base map u have sound nice from a burbble/gurggle stand point? I hear it's only for those with Cobb. Sucks for us with MHD
      05-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #96
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Yea there is but I heard that the ppk exhaust over there does not produce burbbles or gurggles. I hope that's false though.

No progress from me. I have an injury so I can't help BuraQ anymore until I get healed up.

Is that base map u have sound nice from a burbble/gurggle stand point? I hear it's only for those with Cobb. Sucks for us with MHD
he's working with me on tuner pro and MHD pid. he does cobb but getting to know tuner pro. It's not quiet ppk sound on park yet but driving i do hear pops on downshift and decel so making some progress i'll update when we something significant ready.

Last edited by Supra2k6; 05-05-2016 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #97
jyamona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Pretty sure I found the tables to enable this on N54
      05-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #98
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
he's working with me on tuner pro and MHD pid. he does cobb but getting to know tuner pro. It's know quiet ppk sound on park yet but driving i do hear pops so making some progress i'll update when we something significant ready.
I admit, on driving I hear pops but it's always cause my foot is applying 1% slight throttle tip in and I'm literally straight pipes from turbo all the way back with no X pipe, or H or Y pipe in the way. And no mufflers or cats. Glad he's working on trying to get a flash for MHD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyamona View Post
Bro....... The anticipation is killing me
      05-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #99
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i'll donate for some noise got videos?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #100
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Tonight hopefully
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #101
T1M
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You have no idea how happy that will make so many people. It should be the injector fuel cut tables responsible, they should exist, and by default they should close the injectors on throttle lift...

I posted a video above of a 1M crackling very aggressively in Monaco, so unless they have achieved it some other way it's been done on N54. That car is not daily-drivable like that though, way too aggressive IMO. I ran antilag in the street in my Evo and it was out of control, disabled it pretty quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #102
SlimE92
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M
Quote:
You have no idea how happy that will make so many people. It should be the injector fuel cut tables responsible, they should exist, and by default they should close the injectors on throttle lift...

I posted a video above of a 1M crackling very aggressively in Monaco, so unless they have achieved it some other way it's been done on N54. That car is not daily-drivable like that though, way too aggressive IMO. I ran antilag in the street in my Evo and it was out of control, disabled it pretty quickly.
Agreed. Although I'd daily that 1m
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #103
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
subscribed...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #104
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

if it sounds closer to the f-type than the awkward 1m, i'll have my windows down a lot more often this summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #105
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This... I'll also donate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
Tonight hopefully
Says the guy with PI & ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post

How will this affect MPG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu? View Post
if it sounds closer to the f-type than the awkward 1m, i'll have my windows down a lot more often this summer.
I can't agree more. I love the F-type burbble off throttle.
      05-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #106
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post

not daily drivable because of the noise? I guess that depends on the person i don't daily my car but would not mind that noise everyday (1m). anyways it looks like thats their shop car according to their FB page.

also straight pipe 4cyl don't sound great in general no offense had a 500hp mr2. My friends ppk n55 sounds exotic pe oem dp but again it's all subjective.

The tuner i'm testing maps for on mhd has achieve this on cobb.

His cobb stage 1-2 maps are ready to go for any lucky cobb user if anyone is interested(vid below). the last revision he send me needs some work but making progress.

Keep in mind the car doesn't sound like this every time it's on decel or coasting while applying some throttle and still very daily drivable to me.

bmw.n54@web.de

[u2b]https://youtu.be/akhLjnr_86s[/u2b]

Last edited by Supra2k6; 05-05-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #107
89mustaine
Stuff and Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 535i Sport W/SAT MHD

Subscribed and willing to Donate as well. What a great thing it is to watch an idea come to life in the course of a few pages on an enthusiast forum! Thanks to all who have collaborated!!
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #108
jyamona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
not daily drivable because of the noise? I guess that depends on the person i don't daily my car but would not mind that noise everyday (1m). anyways it looks like thats their shop car according to their FB page.

also straight pipe 4cyl don't sound great in general no offense had a 500hp mr2. My friends ppk n55 sounds exotic pe oem dp but again it's all subjective.

The tuner i'm testing maps for on mhd has achieve this on cobb.

His cobb stage 1-2 maps are ready to go for any lucky cobb user if anyone is interested(vid below). the last revision he send me needs some work but making progress.

Keep in mind the car doesn't sound like this every time it's on decel or coasting while applying some throttle and still very daily drivable to me.

bmw.n54@web.de
Saw this on Facebook and commented there as well. This is the incorrect way to implement it (shoehorn into low load timing and AFR).

The correct way is coming soon via (new) fuel cut tables, and will be a part of MHD.
      05-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #109
tofu?
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54

Quote:
Saw this on Facebook and commented there as well. This is the incorrect way to implement it (shoehorn into low load timing and AFR).

The correct way is coming soon via (new) fuel cut tables, and will be a part of MHD.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #110
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Can you elaborate for us (me) non tuning people. Any reason You believe he's doing it certainly Way and what exactly hes doing.

Thanks
Appreciate 0