E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Emergency Hazard Wire Broke

07-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Emergency Hazard Wire Broke

Anybody have experience fixing this? Was replacing the center dash trim, unplugging the DTC etc and the second plastic plug just snapped in half on me, had to disassemble the whole unit to get the connector piece unstuck

Name:  DTC Wire.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  123.1 KB
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Anybody have experience fixing this? Was replacing the center dash trim, unplugging the DTC etc and the second plastic plug just snapped in half on me, had to disassemble the whole unit to get the connector piece unstuck

Attachment 2107925
Put it back together and repin it, if not I'm pretty sure u can order the connector online
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Ouch. That's annoying. The good news is it can be repinned if needed.

Are all the pins still in tact? I can't really tell, but if so, you should be able to push them back into a new connector.

Worst case scenario: check the part-out forum for a wrecked car, or go to a pick n' pull near you. Get a snipped connector and solder your wires onto the new connector, matching the colors with each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #4
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Put it back together and repin it, if not I'm pretty sure u can order the connector online
I haven't checked Realoem yet, but having been there before I am kinda not thinking that specific connector is easy to find. Maybe I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Ouch. That's annoying. The good news is it can be repinned if needed.

Are all the pins still in tact? I can't really tell, but if so, you should be able to push them back into a new connector.

Worst case scenario: check the part-out forum for a wrecked car, or go to a pick n' pull near you. Get a snipped connector and solder your wires onto the new connector, matching the colors with each other.
Yaaa I couldn't push the wires back in, I had the bottom piece still slid on at one point trying to push them back in, was as careful as possible but they wouldn't go back then it just fell apart and turned into that mess.

Good idea about the pick and pull, cuz ya I'm out of options lol
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Let's us know if u find one, there is an e90 at my pick n pull currently rare around where I'm at
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      08-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #6
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Bumping this:

I ordered a new connector to re-pin it, however does anyone know in what order the wires/colors go?? I lost track of it as you can tell

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... Was replacing the center dash trim, unplugging the DTC etc and the second plastic plug just snapped in half on me [What REALLY happened? ]...
Quote:
...I ordered a new connector to re-pin it, [and you are NOT going to tell us WHERE to get Electrical Connectors??? The Dealer perhaps?] however does anyone know in what order the wires/colors go??...
TIS shows the Switch S18a to which that 6-pin connector, X516 is attached, but you have to look at three different wiring diagrams to see the wire colors for each of the 6 pins (Each schematic shows ONLY 2 of the 6 pins):

(1) Central Locking for Centerlock Button wires: Pin #2, Gray/Red wire, & Pin #6, Yellow/Brown wire:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/brA34mn

(2) DSC Switch Functions for DTC Button wires: Pin #1, Blue/Violet wire, & Pin #3, Brown/Black wire:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...switch/oRkTjxQ

(3) Hazard Switch, Turn Signal for Hazard Button wires: Pin #4, Blue/Brown wire, and Pin #5, Brown/Blue wire. Do NOT get those two confused/swapped, as Details Matter: Brown wires Matter.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cator/CkU9Oy6T

Here is the TIS "Connector View" showing the shape of the 6-pin Connector, X516, and the numbering of the pins in reference to that shape:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VnXuiDzt2

Now WHERE did you say you found that Connector (X516)???

George
Appreciate 1
BSM n54iS2684.50
      08-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #8
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
TIS shows the Switch S18a to which that 6-pin connector, X516 is attached, but you have to look at three different wiring diagrams to see the wire colors for each of the 6 pins (Each schematic shows ONLY 2 of the 6 pins):

(1) Central Locking for Centerlock Button wires: Pin #2, Gray/Red wire, & Pin #6, Yellow/Brown wire:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...inputs/brA34mn

(2) DSC Switch Functions for DTC Button wires: Pin #1, Blue/Violet wire, & Pin #3, Brown/Black wire:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...switch/oRkTjxQ

(3) Hazard Switch, Turn Signal for Hazard Button wires: Pin #4, Blue/Brown wire, and Pin #5, Brown/Blue wire. Do NOT get those two confused/swapped, as Details Matter: Brown wires Matter.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cator/CkU9Oy6T

Here is the TIS "Connector View" showing the shape of the 6-pin Connector, X516, and the numbering of the pins in reference to that shape:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VnXuiDzt2

Now WHERE did you say you found that Connector (X516)???

George
Dude, holy shit! You're a life saver, that's as clear cut as it could be

Lol I thought I was the only one man-handling their interior no one else was asking or commenting on how to fix theirs. ECS actually has all the connectors, various 3 pins etc and I found this one also

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...132359992~oeb/

I haven't received it yet, next week. But a half hour of talking with them they said it's the correct one and looks to be. Will update and confirm

On a side note, anyone have any good ideas for changing up the 'DTC' button looks?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Just an update, all is in good working order once again. Kind of a pia getting the wires crimped and put together but then again what isn't on these cars so no biggie, normal dtc button also I'm done with that shit lol
Appreciate 0