E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LCI adaptive headlight lazy eye

09-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M sport

LCI adaptive headlight lazy eye

I just bought my E90 a few weeks ago, previous owner installed the LED halos/ angel eyes. I noticed the first night I drove the car the headlights are facing at the ground and the adaptive function seems to be acting weird. I'm sure someone did something wrong lol.

The beams don't move in a synchronized fashion. One seems to cross over the other. They both still seem to move in the full range of motion...
The manual lever adjuster on the drivers side must be backed all the way out / stripped. Pretty common on most cars... I'll have to take them apart to fix I assume.

What's a common failure point with aFS ? Level sensors on the control arms for the headlights fail for the beam range height?

Some direction in what to check first would be great before I go and pull the whole front end off the car to check the headlight itself
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The drivers light points down and does not sync with the right at slow speeds or while stopped.

I suggest that you read the BMW write up on the behavior of adaptive headlights.

You may have a problem with the lights or you may be seeing normal operation.

The adaptive lights are dumbed down for the US market but a lot of owners remove the limits making the behavior seem strange to a second or third owner.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
The drivers light points down and does not sync with the right at slow speeds or while stopped.

I suggest that you read the BMW write up on the behavior of adaptive headlights.

You may have a problem with the lights or you may be seeing normal operation.

The adaptive lights are dumbed down for the US market but a lot of owners remove the limits making the behavior seem strange to a second or third owner.
Thanks
I'll dig up that thread
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #4
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

See if the beams go level with each other when you put the car in reverse.

With adaptive headlights the beams equalize when in reverse, and if the fogs are enabled to act as cornering lights they will also turn on.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
See if the beams go level with each other when you put the car in reverse.

With adaptive headlights the beams equalize when in reverse, and if the fogs are enabled to act as cornering lights they will also turn on.
I'm curious about this to I will try it tonight. Not sure if my lights were bad to. I raised them up a bit because my light pattern was way to close driving without high beams couldn't much ahead.

As for cornering lights, it's not necessarily just the fog lights, it could be your inner light on your bulb, where the halogen high beams would be, that act as cornering lights like in my case.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Did some research apparently the adaptive function is Normal

Both level sensors appear to be in good shape

The headlights facing at the ground is a common issue (guess I should of searched more)

Apparently the projector assembly becomes loose ... will be pulling it apart later
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post

The headlights facing at the ground is a common issue (guess I should of searched more)

Apparently the projector assembly becomes loose ... will be pulling it apart later
out of three sets I've pulled apart on pre lci I've never seen a loose projector. the 3 torx that hold it in have loctite or similar on them. 2 out of 3 I did just needed to be adjusted. the adaptive feature is dumbed down compared to the euro ones. code them for right and left traffic I forget the code but I'll dig it up[IMG]undefined[/IMG][IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Quote:

out of three sets I've pulled apart on pre lci I've never seen a loose projector. the 3 torx that hold it in have loctite or similar on them. 2 out of 3 I did just needed to be adjusted. the adaptive feature is dumbed down compared to the euro ones. code them for right and left traffic I forget the code but I'll dig it up[IMG]undefined[/IMG][IMG]undefined[/IMG]
I have them out now

Seems one of the servo balls(top one) that holds the whole projector/ adaptive motor is broken or just popped out of the socket

I'm assuming it's broken but I'll attempt to get it back into place
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Quote:

I have them out now

Seems one of the servo balls(top one) that holds the whole projector/ adaptive motor is broken or just popped out of the socket

I'm assuming it's broken but I'll attempt to get it back into place
most likely it popped out but double check the adjuster screws
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

while you have them out I would double check all bulbs are working and use silicone around any area that are prone to leaking etc also o make sure the cover is on tight before installing the lights back.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #11
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's the top servoball of the internal headlight assembly

I was able to push it back in , I heard it click... unfortunately idk if it's a permanent fix . I noticed there is 2 clips on either side that must snap into something .. one was broken.
But I have it snapped back into place

I was able to reach my finger in the smaller opening of the headlight and apply pressure to clip it in ..
like I said no idea if it will hold but. Worth a shot before I disassemble the whole headlight or buy a new one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Here's the top servoball of the internal headlight assembly

I was able to push it back in , I heard it click... unfortunately idk if it's a permanent fix . I noticed there is 2 clips on either side that must snap into something .. one was broken.
But I have it snapped back into place

I was able to reach my finger in the smaller opening of the headlight and apply pressure to clip it in ..
like I said no idea if it will hold but. Worth a shot before I disassemble the whole headlight or buy a new one
yours are easy to open up you can bake them in the oven the ball popped out most likely from a pot hole
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #13
Matchstick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quick adjustment after I put them back

Looks good . Seemed to work .. let me drive for a few days and see lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #14
FastWagon
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 3.0d

hey, so did it help? seems that i have the same issue with passenger light, after turning to the left, it stays there
Appreciate 0