E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

01-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #67
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitzi View Post
So from my understanding using Spotify directly from the unit causes poor sound quality? Does the steering wheel buttons work with the apps?
The quality from Spotify directly on the unit sounds clear it's just flat compared to stock you end up missing most of the bass. And in order to have the steering wheel controls work in the Spotify app you must open Bluetooth audio first on the avin and play a song then back out and open Spotify it will work. It will not work if you just turn on the unit and open the spotify app.

Maybe I'll make a video with the different sound options but I don't know how well it will pick up
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #68
kaitzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

So do the logic7 equalizer settings still apply?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #69
aclearersky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitzi View Post
So do the logic7 equalizer settings still apply?
Yeah they do. It's still adjustable but the internal equalizer/ sound card in the avin sucks bad
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #70
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

From what I read on different posts from the F30 side, a lot of people say the media player sucks with respect to sound quality and other apps sound better.

Probably a software issue...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #71
aclearersky
Private
Rep

Yeah I'd imagine its prolly a software issue but the problem is they must lock you out of it. The only equalizer that does anything at all is the included equalizer with the three setting and frankly it's garbage. If I could use viper4android I'm sure the audio would be much better but all the equalizers make no difference in sound
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #72
kaitzi
Private
Rep

Damn, was excited for this since the ccc Idrive needs to be replaced but now I dunno... Also read that it was designed for e60 so it requires minor modifications to install
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #73
leafsrule531
Rep
Drives: E90 330i sports package, e46 z

So what's the final verdict from users who have purchased this? Is it worth the buy if you're looking to add NAVI + backup camera in your e90?

If so, any folks interested in a group buy?

also sorry for all the questions but should we buy from avin or the chinese website on youtube? lol

Thanks for all your help and feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:43 PM   #74
kaitzi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule531 View Post
So what's the final verdict from users who have purchased this? Is it worth the buy if you're looking to add NAVI + backup camera in your e90?

also sorry for all the questions but should we buy from avin or the chinese website on youtube? lol

I emailed the Chinese dude, it ends up being around the same price but a in seams to have better costumer service and free shipping vs shipping from China is around sixty bucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #75
iM_a_TT
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd be in for a GroupBuy if i dont go ahead a pull the trigger on this sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsrule531 View Post

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #76
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
Based on what I've read on the f30 avin post is that if your car is equipt with the enhanced Bluetooth you can play audio though oem Bluetooth and bypass the display for anything other then being a display. But the aux isn't the issue because if I plug my phone directly into the aux port of the car the audio quality is great. It's the audio quality from the unit itself that sucks. I'm trying to figure out how to improve this but funny enough avin doesn't respond to emails when you ask questions about what seems to be known issues ie Bluetooth music quality sucking.
Do you know if it's only BT that has an issue? Is other sound direct from the device nice and clean?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #77
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Any comments about carplay? Does it work well? Trying to decide if I want to add that $99 option.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #78
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Any comments about carplay? Does it work well? Trying to decide if I want to add that $99 option.
For me CarpPlay works poorly - sometimes fails to connect, sometimes crashes the headunit. I've installed the so-called "gen2" 8.8" AVIN headunit in a 2009 E90 with CIC, original nav, iDrive, enhanced BT, not Logic 7. Use with an iPhone 8.

Good news in CarPlay is that at least the iDrive controller can move the focus to all the options on the screen. In normal Android mode, the iDrive controller only works on the top level screen - useless in my opinion. BTW pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel dumps you bad in OEM mode, does not activate Siri. For that matter, I have yet to figure out how to get the Android mode to respond to any voice command.

For whatever reason, audio quality in Android mode is much lower than in OEM mode - for me that is a deal breaker. An additional problem is that the headunit will occasionally forget about switching AUX input (necessary for Android audio) off and on. The fix is to shut the engine off and restart. Just lovely. AVIN support has known about the low quality since the day they released the unit. AVIN obviously doesn't manufacture it - it seems likely they just rebox someone else's product - and they seem to have little influence over the manufacturer. Don't hold your breath for any kind of fix.

For that matter, support is not very helpful - Tommy often responds with an answer to a question you hadn't asked. Sometimes, you don't get any response at all.

Another terribly annoying feature for me is that the screen is very dim when in OEM mode - often cannot see it in the daytime. As far as I know, no one else has posted about this. This is one of the problems that gets an irrelevant answer from AVIN support.

One of the reasons I bought the AVIN was so i wouldn't have to bring a phone into the car for map changes using MHD flasher. Unfortunately, MHD in programming mode conflicts with the headunit in some way and causes it to reboot. Not useful. To be fair, you can log using MHD and to get code readouts, which is useful. I don't know if the JB4 piggyback will have conflicts with the headunit but you'd want to make sure before buying if you use the JB4 tuning system.

This thing doesn't even fit properly into the dashboard after all the proclamations to the contrary. The holes for the two screws in the upper part of the headunit are incorrectly placed.

I've basically given up using the device in Android mode except for MHD logging.

But there is one feature that seems to work very well for me - backup camera. My car is equipped with PDC so I'd get the beeps anyway. But the headunit immediately senses when reverse is selected and switches the screen to Android mode for PDC + camera and displays guidelines that move as the steering wheel is turned (you have to install a camera of course). After deselecting reverse, it quickly switches back to whatever mode was initially selected.

The reverse camera is literally the only function I have found that is fully integrated into the car's electronics systems.

The AVIN device can be useful if you have a specific type of need but do not expect it to act like it was engineered by BMW and do not expect the level of integration to improve significantly

For me it has been a terrible disappointment
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #79
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
For whatever reason, audio quality in Android mode is much lower than in OEM mode - for me that is a deal breaker.
Thank you for the great review/feedback. Just wanted to confirm, was the above comments for BT streaming audio? or was audio quality an issue even when playing music directly from the unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #80
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

To be clear, you have iDrive already correct? I'm wondering if it's better when installed in a non-iDrive car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #81
aclearersky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
To be clear, you have iDrive already correct? I'm wondering if it's better when installed in a non-iDrive car.
Hard no... It seems like the audio quality smooths out when it's been running for a minute but the sound quality is garbage compared to stock. It looks cool but that's about all it has going for it
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #82
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Thank you for the great review/feedback. Just wanted to confirm, was the above comments for BT streaming audio? or was audio quality an issue even when playing music directly from the unit?
I haven't directly compared because the only music I have on/in the Android headunit are the few examples that came with it and I don't have those particular songs on my iPhone. However, the sound seems about the same in both modes.

Sound is noticeably better streaming via Bluetooth from my iPhone to the iDrive headunit (actually to the Combox since that is where the BT circuitry is) than it is streaming to the Android unit - either via CarPlay or the Android BT. This is really disappointing because BT streaming to the iDrive headunit is already noticeably worse than connecting to it via USB cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 06:50 AM   #83
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
If you were asking the question of me, yes, as I mentioned in my post I have iDrive, Nav, enhanced BT
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #84
ProAktion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i

Garage List
2008 BMW / 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hard no... It seems like the audio quality smooths out when it's been running for a minute but the sound quality is garbage compared to stock. It looks cool but that's about all it has going for it
Sound quality all around? Like just listening to radio or SAT radio? Or just using a blutooth device?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #85
Gavc
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I’ve gotta mirror the complains on sound quality, it’s terrible.
Bluetooth or connected via USB.
The android stuff side is buggy at best, but I figured I could just use CarPlay and bypass everything else.
Unfortunately when I get in my car now, it defaults to I-Drive, I need to hold menu, change to Android, select one of the functions that launches CarPlay, tap on the screen twice to authorise USB, wait 5 seconds for CarPlay to launch, then choose the CarPlay app I want.
The other frustration is Siri and nav instructions are very crackly, and she doesn’t understand me while connected to avin.
I got great support in the beginning, but as soo. As I brought up these issues I stopped getting replies, then when I asked what the return procedure is, I still got ignored.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #86
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavc View Post
I’ve gotta mirror the complains on sound quality, it’s terrible.
Bluetooth or connected via USB.
The android stuff side is buggy at best, but I figured I could just use CarPlay and bypass everything else.
Unfortunately when I get in my car now, it defaults to I-Drive, I need to hold menu, change to Android, select one of the functions that launches CarPlay, tap on the screen twice to authorise USB, wait 5 seconds for CarPlay to launch, then choose the CarPlay app I want.
The other frustration is Siri and nav instructions are very crackly, and she doesn’t understand me while connected to avin.
I got great support in the beginning, but as soo. As I brought up these issues I stopped getting replies, then when I asked what the return procedure is, I still got ignored.
Exactly!
I'll give the latest "update" a try tomorrow but my expectations are not high.

This might be worth a try:
Quote:
Some good news guys. For those without enhanced Bluetooth I managed to add a few things that greatly improved audio quality. I'm not responsible if your unit breaks or explodes from doing the following. If you're not techy maybe avoid this.its not too difficult but it can break your device.

1. Root with king root
2. Use supersume to get rid of king root and install super su
3. Install flashfire
4. Download ainur Nero zip
4. Download james dsp zip
5. Download viper4android apk
6. Use flashfire to install both zip files one at a time( it will reset in between)
7. Install viper4android
8. Set all the avin audio eq settings to 0
8. Mess with all the settings and enjoy significantly improved sound quality

There are still some crackles every once and a while but it's so much better in terms of clarity and fullness. Makes me a little less sad for buying this unit.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...374452&page=69

Last edited by dpaul; 02-10-2018 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #87
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Just wanna add my 2 cents, my experience with Bluetooth is terrible, I have so much static and noise in the background and I must have adjusted every setting, aux volume, phone volume, radio volume, avin volume, the music sounds terrible compared to CD. Been a huge disappointment. Also if anyone has figured out how to stop the whole lowering the music volume when in reverse it would be great .
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #88
aclearersky
Private
Rep

https://youtu.be/snk8YiJjHWE I tried to make a video with the difference of audio quality between avin unit and phone directly plugged into aux but i dont think it turned out too well
Appreciate 0