E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 VRSF DP fix proper calibration *MHD users*

09-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

N54 VRSF DP fix proper calibration *MHD users*

Hi all

After battling out this DP fix, I now know how to calibrate it properly. This is for non-jb4 users. This should also work for BMS DP fix users but don't quote me on that.

THIS GUIDE IS FOR RACING VEHICLES ONLY ON PROPER TRACKS. I AM NOT TEACHING YOU HOW TO BEAT SMOG. USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY.

First things first, flash back to complete stock, remove MHD completely. Map 0 is not going to work. You *NEED* to be on the factory tune.

I am not going to give installation instructions because there are already plenty. If you need help installing it, DM me.

Prerequisites:
1. Double check your installation. This goes without saying but check it.
2. Have MHD ready

Here's where calibration starts. Start with the dial at 7 o'clock. There's a lot of people who say start at 5. Don't. Start at 7 o'clock.

Once you set the dial and start the engine, if you have a check engine light on for cats, you installed something wrong. There should be no CEL at all.

If you have no CEL, congrats because you installed it right. Next thing is to open MHD and go to the *READ DME CODES.* When you first scan you're probably going to see a bunch of related DME active codes. There is nothing to worry about just clear the codes.

On the bottom of that screen pay attention to the following:

Catalyst
Evaporative System
Oxygen Sensor
Oxygen Sensor Heater

These are all your emissions monitors that will need to be calibrated to "COMPLETE."

From here you'll need to start driving the car. Some people say do the driving cycle, I didn't. I drove on the freeway for about 10 minutes at 80 mph. The Oxygen Sensor heater showed as complete.

I got off the freeway and coasted on the street at about 30 mph for about 3 minutes and the Catalyst and Oxygen Sensor showed up as complete. Let's just say I didn't need to worry about the Evaporative System. Depending on where you live, you may need to have this complete.

Without going into too much detail, everything worked out for me.

There is always a chance that you'll need to change the dial. If you do, change it a little at a time. I originally started at 5 o'clock and nothing was changing so I shot it over to 7 o'clock just for kicks and it worked. If you need to change the dial, turn the car off and then do it just to be safe.

Hopefully this helps. DM me if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

following!
2009 335i xDrive 6MT // Black Sapphire / Cold Weather / M Sport / PDC / Premium Package / Aerodynamic Kit / Anthracite headliner / Keyless Entry / AR Design Catless Downpipe / Style 313 19" Wheels/ OEM Euro Taillights / LUX H8 160
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
Quote:
There's a lot of people who say start at 5. Don't. Start at 7 o'clock.
Except don't.
If your car is running like it should (proper injectors,plugs,coils) and combustion is good, then 5oclock is spot on. It is for a lot of people and it also was the case for me. I got readyness @ 5oclock after only a few miles (highway) driving.
Little adjustments should only be needed. Going too far off will cause hard to erase error codes and even more trouble reaching readiness.
Start at 5 and adjust from there if needed exactly like the manual is telling you. And you did just that. Nice job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
Quote:
There's a lot of people who say start at 5. Don't. Start at 7 o'clock.
Except don't.
If your car is running like it should (proper injectors,plugs,coils) and combustion is good, then 5oclock is spot on. It is for a lot of people and it also was the case for me. I got readyness @ 5oclock after only a few miles (highway) driving.
Little adjustments should only be needed. Going too far off will cause hard to erase error codes and even more trouble reaching readiness.
Start at 5 and adjust from there if needed exactly like the manual is telling you. And you did just that. Nice job.
Please explain how your coils, injectors, and combustion has anything to do with the DP fix.

When I got mine from VRSF it actually was at 7 o'clock. I changed it to 5 because of what I read. It didn't work.

It will create hard to delete codes? Examples?

Lastly there was no manual with mine. Could you provide pictures of yours that way there is one everyone has access to?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Please explain how your coils, injectors, and combustion has anything to do with the DP fix.

When I got mine from VRSF it actually was at 7 o'clock. I changed it to 5 because of what I read. It didn't work.

Lastly there was no manual with mine. Could you provide pictures of yours that way there is one everyone has access to?
I'm unaware of it creating any hard to delete codes. I've never had any problems deleting codes on my BMW either so that statement sounds a bit strange to me. What I have heard though, is that if you run with the DP fix installed for too long it can mess with your fuel trims or something like that because the car is being tricked into seeing O2 readings that aren't actually true.

However I also have to disagree with the OP who says you need to be on the stock tune in order for this to work. I said it in the other thread you posted that you just have to have the the o2 sensor/cat converter codes enabled in the tune in order to set readiness. These codes are 29F4 and 29F5. Here's the link again showing what I mean

Additionally, here's an image showing how to set readiness. Although many people find this difficult to achieve even when following these instructions. I say just drive it for a few days and check whenever you think its ready. Also don't clear any codes or else you will have to achieve readiness again.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post

I'm unaware of it creating any hard to delete codes. I've never had any problems deleting codes on my BMW either so that statement sounds a bit strange to me. What I have heard though, is that if you run with the DP fix installed for too long it can mess with your fuel trims or something like that because the car is being tricked into seeing O2 readings that aren't actually true.

However I also have to disagree with the OP who says you need to be on the stock tune in order for this to work. I said it in the other thread you posted that you just have to have the the o2 sensor/cat converter codes enabled in the tune in order to set readiness. These codes are 29F4 and 29F5. Here's the link again showing what I mean

Additionally, here's an image showing how to set readiness. Although many people find this difficult to achieve even when following these instructions. I say just drive it for a few days and check whenever you think its ready. Also don't clear any codes or else you will have to achieve readiness again.

I recommend putting it back to stock because it just wasn't calibrating for me on any MHD map, including Map 0. But maybe I was doing something wrong.

How long did it take yours to calibrate?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
The Wanderer
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi

Vrsf dp fix

Where did you purchase the dp fix from. I can not find it available anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Where did you purchase the dp fix from. I can not find it available anywhere.
They stopped selling them online as it may have gotten a bunch of vendors in trouble. You'll have to find a used one on the classifieds section, more than likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

You should only use the DP fix to pass emissions and then take it off your car. It should not be daily driven with it on as it can alter fueling and cause other issues.
Appreciate 0