E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Overheated twice in two days. New Waterpump and T-Stat, no codes

06-15-2023, 08:48 AM   #23
dosboy1
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Xdrive

there must have been, but I still can't understand why it threw the water pump codes. I'll keep monitoring it over the next week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Those are normal temps

Was there an air pocket?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:25 AM   #24
dosboy1
Rep

Well, it overheated again this morning after quite some time of working fine. So, I booked it in to the shop that replaced the water pump and the thermostat back in October. I am hoping they can find what the issue is. I believe it may be electrical as someone one else suggested.

I monitored the temperature and it was fluctuating and quickly moving down from 114 degrees back to 89 and then up to 105 or so and then back down, so something is going on for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 11:57 AM   #25
dosboy1
Rep

Hi All,

Just an update. I had it back to the shop that replaced the waterpump. From advice here and from another local bmw owner, electrical issues seemed to be the consensus and sure enough there was a corroded wired that was arcing near the powerblock. they repaired/replaced the wire and tested the pump and all is working as it should. the arcing wire was causing the pump the randomly turn off at time and that was causing the overheating
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 11:59 AM   #26
dosboy1
Rep

You were absolutely correct. It was a corroded wire that had to be traced back from the water pump. Thanks for you help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboy1 View Post
We cleared the codes (2E81, 2E83, 2E84) and then I took the car out to drive to reproduce the overheat, so those codes are the latest after the yellow engine hot light came one.

I did the bleed procedure after those codes and I was connected to a charger but it was set at the 2A trickle charge. should I bleed again with the charger set at a higher amp?

for questions 5 and 6, I'll have to ask my friend to come back with Protool to see if any of that can be done.

After I did the bleed procedure, I did take the car out for a drive and I activated the hidden menu to see the water coolant temperature. This time the car did not overheat after driving for about 20 minutes and the temperature reached a high of 108 degrees Celsius which is 226 degrees farenheit.

The mileage is correct all those codes seem to be generated when the yellow engine hot light came on.
Appreciate 0