E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > The Drowned Man and other stories: an e91 project

04-12-2023, 05:27 AM   #111
Prolix-2
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo + Misc other Euro cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
You could get more ambitious and turn your E91 into an M3 Touring, imagine the fun of driving an S54 powered Touring. Keep up the great work, you're saving one E9x at a time.
At this point I do not feel like creating an E91 M Touring. The idea is very cool, but beyond my skill level and budget of time/money. If I were retrofitting an engine, probably an N55 would be the first choice for the hopeful simplicity and period correctness, or maybe the S54 if that could be done. All of the above are not really in the consideration list for the opening statement. I've got a lot of things I want to be doing, and a project requiring 100-400 hours sounds more like a nightmare than fun.

I guess I'm just not cool like that.

Last edited by Prolix-2; 04-13-2023 at 04:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3531.00
      04-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #112
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolix-2 View Post
Thanks for this. It's probably been 15 years since I've had an M3. I finished up with my e36 faze and hadn't gotten back into BMW until now. I'm a hands on learner, so I have to look/touch to figure out what I do/do not like and experiment.

The e-brake handle, or more than that?

What's different about the sun visors? I hadn't noticed those.

What about the LSD rear diff?

If I have to retrofit the entire front end to get the M3 aluminum hood, I'll probably leave that alone. Both my front fenders are broken and I really don't want to think about putting in rear fender flairs to match the front. Or is it just the front bumper, radiator support, and the coupe/cab headlights? Not sure how I feel about those lights. Looks a bit odd to me. Not sure I would call the M3 bumper better looking than the M sport bumper either, but that's my personal preference.
The e brake handle “cover” and the boot.

The sun visors are just the black m sport ones, better than the tan.

You could throw the LSD in there too. I’m not sure about if the axles also need swapping. I am not sure it would make a a huge difference with the n52 though.

I don’t think the core support has to be swapped for the front end, but fenders, lights and hood do. Fender liners too if you have them.

To complete the m3 look, yes you would want to swap in the rear quarter panels and fab up the m3 rear bumper too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 01:22 PM   #113
Z16A
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quick look at realoem shows the m3 axles and wheel hubs are only compatible with m3 models. The rear wheel bearing shows up under the e91 so in theory you could swap them over. As for the length of the axles you'd have to check. You might need to swap control arms so its wide enough which at that point you might as well swap the whole subframe if that's compatible. Scope creep at its finest.

I'm in the process of collecting parts to put my spare 135i lsd in my e91. I still need 335i MT axles as I have a "large" diff housing and the US e91s came with a "small" diff housing.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #114
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z16A View Post
Scope creep at its finest.

The evolution is real and beyond my time scope and seemingly has limited ROI on an N52. Maybe I'll stick to cosmetic updates from the M3 primarily.

Though, I have a 135i automatic, maybe that's the easier LSD to swap? I didn't realize it had one. Rear subframe bushing have always been a thing in the wings, but not something I felt like attempting real soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 07:20 AM   #115
Z16A
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

The 135i doesn't come factory with an LSD. I purchased one separately for my old 135i.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 08:08 PM   #116
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
The 135i doesn't come factory with an LSD. I purchased one separately for my old 135i.
What all did come with one? The fitment is curious as I'm thinking the 135i and the e91 have the same abs sensor. When mine went out the other week it was a toss up between the 135i and 335i, and the 335i was more convenient to access, so I used it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 10:42 AM   #117
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Only M cars get a Limited Slip these days and option on the M340/M440? Unlike the old days it was part of the cold weather pack and on e30's it was a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 04:57 AM   #118
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
You might need to swap control arms so its wide enough which at that point you might as well swap the whole subframe if that's compatible. Scope creep at its finest.
I have someone lined up for the rear and I did not ponder any more whether my n52 powered car would benefit from a LSD rear. Money > limited ROI on a lot of work.

Scope creep dodged!

--------------------------
Scope creep not dodge however....

I have asked this before, but can I retrofit any of the M3's audio into the e91? The Individual Audio sounds much better than the hi-fi and I was thinking this is something that could go along with the interior swap.

I would assume the amp would have to be coded or something, speakers swapped, and then how great is the return?

I've started looking around and of course have seen the Bavsound and Bimmertech speaker sets. My musical tastes aren't incredibly demanding, but when updating the interior I would like to add sound deadening and upgrade the audio as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:57 AM   #119
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Well, the M3 is almost completely stripped and set out to pasture to hold onto in case I remember something else I want. The individual audio retrofit is not off the table fully, but.... that's a huge amount of work and I ran out of time figuring out where the wiring harness routes under the dash.

I've already retrofit the M3 cowl, front seats, CF leather trim, and the door cards. I was still considering not going to a black interior even with the m3 interior sitting here, but then I discovered the M door pulls were leather wrapped instead of the gummy soft touch stuff that is standard. There was no more discussion after that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 11:44 PM   #120
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

If the dash is the extended leather dash, I’d remove it before it sits any longer. A nice upgrade from stock or worth money if you sell it.
The wiper fluid reservoir is also good to keep in case you do an oem fender swap later.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #121
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
If the dash is the extended leather dash, I’d remove it before it sits any longer. A nice upgrade from stock or worth money if you sell it.
The wiper fluid reservoir is also good to keep in case you do an oem fender swap later.
Hmm, I didn't notice that it was an extended leather optioned dash. Truth be told I never knew that as an option before. I had the extended leather on my Z4 and that had leather on the A pillars, sun visors, and a few other places. I didn't notice anything like that on this on.

Google search shows the lower dash as leather and the center console also as leather. I didn't look closely at the dash, but the console is definitely plastic.

But I've learned something new. Thank you for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 05:38 AM   #122
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, a delayed update to where things stand.

The e91 was in a queue of projects leading to a big trip to Carlisle PA for the import auto show that I go to every year. As the event was drawing closer I scaled back of things I wanted to do before the trip in keeping of my life axiom of: do not create unnecessary stress.

I limited the updates pre-trip to:

* M3 front swaybar
* M3 seats and door cards
* M3 front strut brace

Interior looked a bit janky but I was glad I did not push myself further to do more as I will explain.

Trip up was most excellent. Same incredible back roads with long lines of sight and almost nothing on the road. Was the road trip experience every car nut looks for. Scenery, mixed driving environments, and a solitary driving environment outside of your own crew.

Coming out of it I had a couple thoughts:

1: my body does not like the m3 seats at all. I'm not really sure why, but in the 10-15 hours of driving over the weekend I could not get comfortable. Lower back was upset or my legs or something was always complaining no matter what. I've had quite a number of really bad car accidents in my younger years and this has made the demands on seats difficult. Sport seats have become less comfortable for me as time goes on and this makes me sad.

2: I definitely need more power. The point car this year was a 08 CLK550 cabrio, and that car was the epic touring leader. So much effortless power. Comparing notes, especially after some aggressive long hill climbs, the CLK driver reported were rarely past half throttle while I was discovering without realizing it that I was full throttle on numerous occasions.

2:2 I'm in conflict on how much power is "needed" as being able to drive to limits does have strong appeal. I'm going to do the intake swap and a few adjustments before calling this a loss. Not remotely considering an engine swap or anything extreme. Just a mental thought to go through since the CLK is also my car so I can have that absolutely wonderful engine on hand at all times as well.

3: I've been scaling back my projections on the car's character. The what I "feel the car needs" to fit what I want it to do is changing a lot. I have a habit of creating personalities for my long term use cars, and the E91 is Charlotte Rampling. For those of you old enough or cultured enough, I'm especially considering her more controversial German roles in the 70's as a mental image. I've always loved how she's aged so gracefully and admired her career.

So, take away from the long trip is my expectations and aspirations for this car has changed a lot. I try to avoid trying to fit each car into a box of catch all, as extremes are always bad. My goal is a sport touring but not punishing daily functional use car. It needs weather-ability and to feel good about itself with patina and common use dirt. I don't abuse my cars and I keep them clean, but I do not obsess over any of them. I don't want anything really delicate in the daily use car category as I just don't have time for that.

So, just some rambles and I will ponder what seat I can put into it now that my back declares the M3 seat is a bust... Enjoy a couple photos from the weekend!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-22-2023, 01:44 PM   #123
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
2: I definitely need more power. The point car this year was a 08 CLK550 cabrio, and that car was the epic touring leader. So much effortless power. Comparing notes, especially after some aggressive long hill climbs, the CLK driver reported were rarely past half throttle while I was discovering without realizing it that I was full throttle on numerous occasions.

2:2 I'm in conflict on how much power is "needed" as being able to drive to limits does have strong appeal. I'm going to do the intake swap and a few adjustments before calling this a loss. Not remotely considering an engine swap or anything extreme. Just a mental thought to go through since the CLK is also my car so I can have that absolutely wonderful engine on hand at all times as well.
No intake swap or any other modification is going to get you to make it feel anywhere near the CLK. I absolutely love my 330 6MT and I will not voluntarily part with it, but there's no comparison to the 335i power.

I know you ruled out an engine swap, but with the donor cars you have access to, I personally think a N54 E91 even with an ZF6 automatic would be awesome, and not too difficult.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2023, 04:15 AM   #124
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
No intake swap or any other modification is going to get you to make it feel anywhere near the CLK. I absolutely love my 330 6MT and I will not voluntarily part with it, but there's no comparison to the 335i power.

I know you ruled out an engine swap, but with the donor cars you have access to, I personally think a N54 E91 even with an ZF6 automatic would be awesome, and not too difficult.
No, I still have no interest in a drive train swap. I would like it a lot, but for where I'm at with what role this car fills in the stable, I can't justify that time/costs involved. Why does no one suggest the N55 though? If not chasing big power, isn't the n55 the more reliable engine?

-------------------------

SEATS however, that is the hot button topic of search.

Seeing as all the E9x seats I've tried thus far have all proved sub-optimal, the question is then what can be retrofit in that are better?

I need to pull apart an E90 seat and see how things fit and then explore what options can be swapped into the frame, or how to retrofit wiring into something else.

The sticky part is of course that most modern seats have fully electric controls and that's less easy to retrofit. An aftermarket could be an option, but I think the only thing hitting quality standards would be something things like the Recaro Ortho seats.

I'm told the E60 seats are to large to fit, but that the F30 is a close to easy plug and play option.

I've been fascinated by the the current gen M3/M4 CF competition seats, but I'm very doubtful that is going to be more comfortable for the GT driving experience I'm looking for. Current gen parts cars are also worth $$$ and that is likely out of the budget scope of what I've set for this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 03:40 AM   #125
RaptoR228
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Interesting Project. Keep on going
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:16 AM   #126
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptoR228 View Post
Interesting Project. Keep on going
I've not posted anything in a while but the story does keep going. I have some things in the works that will be some more subtle and not so subtle tweaks forwards the ultimate goal.

Teasers maybe next week; to be determined when I take delivery of the next big batch of things.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 05:07 AM   #127
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, this weekend the minor updates arrived with swapping in the front M3 control arms.

Usual stuff here, nothing to surprising. Annoyingly the oil pan gasket leak is progressing happily. That will likely be a fall update, but I'm not so concerned about it since this is a rwd and thus significantly easier than a xdrive.

The bigger updates are still to come.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-21-2023, 08:49 PM   #128
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

So, the bigger updates are these two parts cars:

F80 was chasing the curiosity of trying on the 513m wheels for size and to see what I thought of the seats. The seats to my back rank as not an improvement from the e90 seats, so we will move on. Seriously though, is there anything the f80 is better at than the e90? What a disappointment of a car to drive. Better looking, but not to drive.

The e92 was a curious animal of a car that someone loved intensely at some point, but was passed between more than a few owners, and by the time it was wrecked the driver has a little forest of scent trees and plenty of condoms handy in the center console. But much of the love that someone put into it still shines with the Dinan exhaust, updated air filter box, and more.

The final photo is the tan interior as I am currently using. Not really sure the carbon leather goes with it, but I can't think of anything better to put in it at the moment, so it'll stay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 04:19 PM   #129
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Today I installed the three stage intake and the "performance air intake." Looks more proper, but this air filter box has only marginal gains for air flow me thinks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-26-2023, 06:15 PM   #130
E93Seattle (Racerbruce)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 & 2021 X3

Quote:
Today I installed the three stage intake and the "performance air intake." Looks more proper, but this air filter box has only marginal gains for air flow me thinks.
marginal gain + aesthetics upgrades = win!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #131
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Either you got really lucky on the OEM Performance Airbox find…or you spent a pretty penny! 💰 🫣😊

Looks beautiful! Trust the process!

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2023, 04:39 AM   #132
Prolix-2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
Either you got really lucky on the OEM Performance Airbox find…or you spent a pretty penny! 💰 🫣😊

Looks beautiful! Trust the process!
Oh, if you see the previous post, I got it from the black car. The factory CF brace actually survived as well, but annoying I can't use it in combination to the M3 braces, so I guess I'll re-market it.

The black car also has a Dinan exhaust, so I do plan to install that. One of my other parts cars has a magnaflow exhaust, but that's a bit loud for me and I hate a loud exhaust. For reference, I replaced my SL550 with a F-type in July and the stock exhaust on the F, much loved by almost everyone, makes me self conscious. I'm a boring sod like that I guess.

But, I am enjoying the process. Consciously tweaking this and that, improving towards a goal and made myself a spreadsheet to organize a bit this weekend. This e91 always gives me nostalgic feels every time I drive it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
4 Doors1169.00