E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Pre-LCI Xenons on LCI Car?

05-31-2023, 11:34 AM   #1
Fireball5657
German Car Caregiver
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i M-Sport

Garage List
Pre-LCI Xenons on LCI Car?

Hey all, I've got a US 2011 E90 328i with the 2009 Accord-style halogen lights and FRM3. I've been wanting to do an LCI xenon conversion for a while now, but they're expensive and most of them I see online have yellowed eyebrows, lazy eyes, or hazy lenses. I've been eyeing Euro Pre-LCI Xenons for a while now, they're much cheaper, usually in better shape, and I feel like they look better too. With all that said, has anyone done this conversion? Will Pre-LCI lights even work with FRM3? What all will have to be coded? Will I have to tamper with the wiring like you do with LCI Xenons?

Any help is appreciated, I can't really find any info on this exact conversion anywhere. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:47 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

FRM shouldn't matter and from the limited searching I've done it's a straight swap (with some coding)
      06-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
Fireball5657
German Car Caregiver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
FRM shouldn't matter and from the limited searching I've done it's a straight swap (with some coding)
Yeah that's what I've been finding too. Pre-LCI halogen and LCI halogen are completely compatible with each other, and Pre-LCI halogen to Pre-LCI xenon just requires a bit of wiring and coding; so LCI halogen to Pre-LCI xenon shouldn't be any different from any other Pre-LCI swap.

I still need to figure out the coding, but once that's done I'll probably bite the bullet on a set of Pre-LCI euro xenons. If all goes well I'll make a post about the swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 08:05 PM   #4
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

What are the differences between the European Pre-LCI Bi-Xenon and the US market Pre-LCI Bi-xenon? Just having gotten back from Ireland I noticed that both Pre LCI and LCI lights have clear turn signal plastic. The bulbs are likely yellow.

What is the situation between adaptive (ights turn with the wheels) and non-adaptive Bi-xenon lights in the EU market? The lights are not the same and there is some additional hardware, sensors, and tuning required.

Where are you looking to purchase your EU lights?
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I did lci xenons to pre lci xenons with FRM3
The pre lci xenon should work on lci halogen but you will most likely have to add the wiring as shown in the DIYs.

You will also only have xenon functions, to add adaptive functions, you’ll need to wire in more stuff.

The lci halogens are decent with some upgraded halo ring bulbs and brighter low/high beam bulb.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #6
Fireball5657
German Car Caregiver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morrin View Post
What are the differences between the European Pre-LCI Bi-Xenon and the US market Pre-LCI Bi-xenon? Just having gotten back from Ireland I noticed that both Pre LCI and LCI lights have clear turn signal plastic. The bulbs are likely yellow.

What is the situation between adaptive (ights turn with the wheels) and non-adaptive Bi-xenon lights in the EU market? The lights are not the same and there is some additional hardware, sensors, and tuning required.

Where are you looking to purchase your EU lights?
To the best of my knowledge, the clear vs orange reflectors is the biggest difference between the Euro and US xenons. As far as the adaptive functionalities go, they can be coded out and the projectors can be set to somewhat of a "default" mode. The errors can also be coded out, which should make them almost direct drop in replacements without having to add level sensors and steering angle sensors and such.

I used to have an LCI E92 with adaptive xenons; they were cool, but the adaptive functions were more of a party trick than anything for me. I'm mostly interested in getting the better looking assemblies and the brighter/crisper light you get from a xenon projector.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
Fireball5657
German Car Caregiver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
I did lci xenons to pre lci xenons with FRM3
The pre lci xenon should work on lci halogen but you will most likely have to add the wiring as shown in the DIYs.
Yeah I figured as much on the wiring. It looks fairly easy from the DIY's I've seen. Coding them and finding a reliable source for the assemblies are my biggest hurdles right now. I've found a few listings for Pre-LCI Euro xenons on eBay, but they're shipping out of places like Malaysia and Thailand so I don't know if I can trust them to make the journey here to America. Also, I'm not sure if they're for RHD or LHD cars.

Quote:
The lci halogens are decent with some upgraded halo ring bulbs and brighter low/high beam bulb.
I agree, I've got LED angel eyes, LED front turn signals, and brighter halogen headlight bulbs with the blue tint on the bulbs that make them whiter. They look about as good as halogens can get IMO. I do like them, but my eyebrows have faded into a yellowish brown, and I think the xenons just look better overall, LCI or Pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

There’s aftermarket halogen options that look ok and eyebrow covers too.
Iirc, the xenon diy doesn’t mention anything about coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:25 PM   #9
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

Have you found a european source for European headlights? I think the clear plastic does look better than the amber. I would be reluctant buying anything headlight related from Asia unless there was an easy return policy with full refund.

As you noted, you need to make sure it is for LHD. I believe Malaysia and possibly Thailand are RHD (would need to confirm). Regardless, you want to make sure the buyer is credible and know what they are selling. Some of the aftermarket lights look Ok out of the box, but I am guessing with a year of sun and road rash they may not hold up as well as the OEM. Sometimes there is a reason for the price differential.
Appreciate 0