E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW NA and one unhappy owner.

03-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
E90Daddy
Rep
Drives: 10 E90 sedan XDrive

Angry BMW NA and one unhappy owner.

So when my wife told me she was pregnant (first child woo woo) It was time to sell the fun car and buy a family car. Having 2 BMW's in the past I knew immediately I wanted another BMW for the safety and reliability. Boy I feel like I made a mistake.... So the story goes, I found this beautiful 2010 328i X Drive living in Ohio and living in the Snowbelt wanted X Drive for the safety sake. So I found this one owner no accident low mileage (60k) beautiful machine. I was in love instantly. unfortunately shortly after a trip to the grocery store one day me driving and the wife in the passenger seat it all started to go down hill fast. later that day just myself in the car my car was telling me to buckle up, as I reach over I notice I am indeed wearing my seat belt so I reach over to the unoccupied passenger side and buckle the seat belt and the car stops dinging at me. I call the local BMW dealership and they let me know that there is a warranty extension for the occupancy mat and they are know to go bad so I made an appointment.

Later in the week I arrive at the Dealership and after waiting for 20 mins they tell me that my car is not covered because the vin number is not listed for the warranty extension even though it is THE SAME BAD PART AS THE OTHER CARS!!!

I go home and call BMW NA and they take my information and noted the bad part and I guess if enough complaints happen I guess they will do a recall but now I have to pay to get my car fixed with a known bad part out of pocket...

my car now has 70k miles and is out of federal emissions warranty by one year but is 10,000 miles under and has a bad catalytic converter. Lets face it the cats do not go bad by age. I am so angry at BMW for not standing by there good name and making this right,

Thank you for reading my rant,
-One Unhappy Owner-

Last edited by E90Daddy; 03-21-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Daddy View Post
So when my wife told me she was pregnant (first child woo woo) It was time to sell the fun car and buy a family car. Having 2 BMW's in the past I knew immediately I wanted another BMW for the safety and reliability. Boy I feel like I made a mistake.... So the story goes, I found this beautiful 2010 328i X Drive living in Ohio and living in the Snowbelt wanted X Drive for the safety sake. So I found this one owner no accident low mileage (60k) beautiful machine. I was in love instantly. unfortunately shortly after a trip to the grocery store one day me driving and the wife in the passenger seat it all started to go down hill fast. later that day just myself in the car my car was telling me to buckle up, as I reach over I notice I am indeed wearing my seat belt so I reach over to the unoccupied passenger side and buckle the seat belt and the car stops dinging at me. I call the local BMW dealership and they let me know that there is a warranty extension for the occupancy mat and they are know to go bad so I made an appointment.

Later in the week I arrive at the Dealership and after waiting for 20 mins they tell me that my car is not covered because the vin number is not listed for the warranty extension even though it is THE SAME BAD PART AS THE OTHER CARS!!!

I go home and call BMW NA and they take my information and noted the bad part and I guess if enough complaints happen I guess they will do a recall but now I have to pay to get my car fixed with a known bad part out of pocket...

my car now has 70k miles and is out of federal emissions warranty by one year but is 10,000 miles under and has a bad catalytic converter. Lets face it the cats do not go bad by age. I am so angry at BMW for not standing by there good name and making this right,

-One Unhappy Owner-
Sorry to hear of your frustration. That does suck about that VIN not being covered while others are but cats can certainly fail from age and more likely if the previous owner at some point let an issue like a bad upstream O2 sensor linger. It's frustrating but I hope you still enjoy the car once you get the issues sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Worst case scenario you can get an occupancy seat bypass. I did it on my old E46. It just activates the airbag all the time, that's about it.

You'd also need to code off the passenger seatbelt chime so it won't ding at you constantly, but that's a pretty easy fix with NCS-Expert.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

I can code out the occupancy sensor remotely if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Occupancy sensor can be coded out easily. Look above, you even have someone offering to help!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by codinge90 View Post
Even better!

btw I love your website
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:29 AM   #7
M.chowdhury1
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 318d

Quote:
Hey I live in the UK with an e92 320i 2007 ...nobody is sat on the passenger but the chime would bellow at me.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 02:36 AM   #8
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.chowdhury1 View Post
Quote:
Hey I live in the UK with an e92 320i 2007 ...nobody is sat on the passenger but the chime would bellow at me.
Sounds like the occupancy sensor is bad. Feel free to PM me to set up a remote coding session, I can remove that warning and chime
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I think only the sport seats had the mat issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
you even have someone offering to help!
I suspect he's not doing it for free though lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #11
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think only the sport seats had the mat issue.
Nope. My base seats do the same thing. Waiting for a nice day to install my occupancy sensor bypass
      03-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
So the story goes, I found this beautiful 2010 328i X Drive living in Ohio and living in the Snowbelt wanted X Drive for the safety sake. So I found this one owner no accident low mileage (60k) beautiful machine.
You are frustrated understand, but you have to look at it from this perspective too: you bought a 9 year old car, not a brand new car of the dealer's lot. Things are going to fail, problems will occur.

The cat failure as someone mentioned most likely previous owner's ignoring a problem long enough, which may have been fixed before sale. There is not much mention of cat failures in this forum on these cars, not common issue based on that.

The seat occupancy sensor has long history. BMW initially extended warranty only on sports seats and certain years, I think. Then it got extended more, or it started to included non-sports seats but may not be extended for all years. You can search NHTSA.gov for the recalls and extended warranties on your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:

-One Unhappy Owner-
Honestly these are pretty minor issues that can be fixed fairly easily. Do you have all the maintenance from the previous owner? The cats are not a part that normally goes bad on thee cars. I would suspect neglected maintenance before getting mad at BMW NA.

I don't get why you would think that a 9 year old wouldn't have an issue here or there, I especially cant imagine being mad at BMW NA for a car that is 9 years old... get realistic. Guess what, realistically its going to need an oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and a new starter, along with an expansion coolant tank, thermostat, waterpump, and while in there you might as well replace the OFHG too... this is all going to be needed most likely in the next 20-30k miles if they haven't been done already. Now you might get lucky and get to 130k+ before you need some of these things, but my point is you bought a 9 year old luxury car with 60K on it and are upset with BMW NA because they won't fix it for free???

Now if you bought the car from THIS BMW NA dealer and they provided a CPO warranty or PPI with a guarantee and they are not fulfilling their side and BMW NA isn't taking care of you, that's a different situation.
Appreciate 0