E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Project Daft 335 | WTCC Widebody Time Attack Build Thread

07-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #45
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
So prior to starting the project, the previous owner had already removed quite a bit of the interior - stock front and rear seats, carpeting, sunroof delete (cf insert), roof liner, etc. So we won't have a true stock "before" weigh in.

So instead, Eric at eFab is weighing bins of stuff that he's removing as he goes. It's really impressive to see how much weight can be shed as you trade off comfort in the name of function.

I'll share an update very soon with photos of the different components we've removed on the scales for documentation purposes (don't think anyone has done that before for the e90). Should hopefully prove valuable as others plan to take on this same endeavor in the future with their e9x's.
Well, you can scale mine, minus the Graco off course, to have an idea how much your car originally weigh. But after installing chassis reinforcements and roll bar it will gain some weight back. That is why I said about 300lbs. 4 doors are little heavier but the chassis is stiffer and better balanced front to rear.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      07-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #46
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Well, you can scale mine, minus the Graco off course, to have an idea how much your car originally weigh. But after installing chassis reinforcements and roll bar it will gain some weight back. That is why I said about 300lbs. 4 doors are little heavier but the chassis is stiffer and better balanced front to rear.

We're thinking that by the time we're done here with the extensive round 1 weight removal and full cage, we should net out between 30 to 70lbs heavier all said and done (depending on how much tubing is used for the cage). And that's assuming a 300lb-ish cage.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #47
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

We're thinking that by the time we're done here with the extensive round 1 weight removal and full cage, we should net out between 30 to 70lbs heavier all said and done (depending on how much tubing is used for the cage). And that's assuming a 300lb-ish cage.
From talking to people 335i 4door starts at around 3600 and when you strip it, carbon roof, carbon truck and hood, shaved inside of door, lighter wheels, lighter brakes, lighter exhaust, battery, it goes down to 3000. Then you add 300lbs rollcage and is around 3300lbs. Of course this is all from talk. I'm yet to see it documented. That is where you come in. vasillalov , local to us, gutted his 335i. Also, BrianMN has itemized thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #48
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProphet View Post
Welcome back homie..!

I've been looking for an E90 6MT and could have swore I just saw this car for sale not too long ago..!
Thanks man! Yeah, it was owned by a good buddy of mine. He and I were in 'talks' prior to him even listing it publicly. Funny enough, a buddy reminded me that my old big twin 335 along with what is now my new 335 track car are actually the main page background cars (gray and black) on the MMP's website www.mmp-e.com. Third car is dbworld4k's beautiful white 335 (which he never should have gotten rid of )

That said, when she's all ready come on out and I'll let you sit shotgun on the track when she's all ready

Last edited by sirdaft1; 07-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Poorgrammar adn speling :)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #49
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I will weigh my car on Monday and I'll tell you exactly how much it weighs. It's fully modded, pretty much fully gutted and without roll cage.

On rough estimate, I reduced the weight by about 270lbs so far, maybe more.
      07-26-2017, 06:07 AM   #50
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I will weigh my car on Monday and I'll tell you exactly how much it weighs. It's fully modded, pretty much fully gutted and without roll cage.

On rough estimate, I reduced the weight by about 270lbs so far, maybe more.
That would be perfect. Seeing your mod list, assuming she's a dedicated track car for you?? Love to connect to hear more. Sounds like you're local as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #51
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
7/27 Update!

Must say, at this moment she looks more like a part out car than a racecar, but it's really exciting to see how far it's progressed.

Interior shot. So much room for activities! That said, it won't be long until this space is filled with a bunch of tubing!

When you go on a diet, every little bit adds up. There are so many mounting tabs and miscellaneous brackets that will no longer be used. Just from removing these small bit, the box of these pieces must have weighed 10-15lbs.

The gray/tan areas on the floor are where the factory sound deadening tar sat. All together, the tar alone weighed in at 17lbs.

Up on the lift at the mad scientists shop

A/C has been removed. New CSF radiator, low temp oil thermostat and more efficiently designed custom chargepipe (since no a/c, can route cp directly to the FMIC) are next on the underhood list.

Raw tubing has arrived and will start taking shape next week.

Pre-widebody width

Where'd my stereo and A/C go?!

Last edited by sirdaft1; 07-28-2017 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #52
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see what the wide body looks like as well
      07-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #53
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
OOOH! You and me need to meet up! I'd be curious to see the quality of the work at E-Fab as I will be building my cage there as well.

Do you have 6MT or auto? This shifter is very interesting. Is it for 6MT?
      07-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #54
wesley610
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi

WOWW
I love this so far
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      07-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #55
wesley610
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi

Quote:
OOOH! You and me need to meet up! I'd be curious to see the quality of the work at E-Fab as I will be building my cage there as well.

That's for a 6 speed manual transmission
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #56
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see what the wide body looks like as well

Quote:

Yes, absolutely. The car will be at eFab for a while. I try to get up there once a week or so (45 min drive for me). I'm sure you can swing by anytime and Eric can walk you through the details. Are you planning to go full racecar build on yours as well? It would be awesome to have another local e9x 335 guy to run with

And that's a CAE shifter. The best manual shifter on the market IMO. Unfortunately it's not cheap, but it's straight up motorsports.

http://www.hardmotorsport.com/cae-ultra-shifter-bmw/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley610 View Post
WOWW
I love this so far
Thanks!! LOTS more to come.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #57
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
EPIC !!!
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      07-30-2017, 10:11 PM   #58
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
eFab keeps telling me "I swear, we're just doing an oil change"

Rear strut cage downtube mount plates getting welded in...
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2017, 05:41 AM   #59
335REGULATION
Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Coupe MT

Thanks for sharing!
      07-31-2017, 06:06 AM   #60
Rain
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 LCI 30e

Looking forward for more progress photos

P.S.: Is there any benefit choosing sedan over coupe for project car? Few serious projects here are with sedan and somehow I would expect most of them to be with coupes
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      07-31-2017, 07:19 AM   #61
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Looking forward for more progress photos

P.S.: Is there any benefit choosing sedan over coupe for project car? Few serious projects here are with sedan and somehow I would expect most of them to be with coupes
The technical rationale... the B-pillar in the sedan provides considerably more structural rigidity vs the coupe- which has a much longer door opening. With a cage tied into the frame at multiple area, that might become a moot point. The non-technical/highly subjective rationale, I prefer the looks of the sedan over the coupe . Both are great looking cars, but the coupe looks a bit pancaked for my tastes.
Appreciate 2
Rain39.00
feuer4274.50
      08-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #62
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It would be awesome to have another local e9x 335 guy to run with
Heeeeeyyy! Why are you discluding me?

Quote:
The technical rationale... the B-pillar in the sedan provides considerably more structural rigidity vs the coupe- which has a much longer door opening. With a cage tied into the frame at multiple area, that might become a moot point. The non-technical/highly subjective rationale, I prefer the looks of the sedan over the coupe . Both are great looking cars, but the coupe looks a bit pancaked for my tastes.
Excellent answer. 4 door is stronger chassis and look better. 2 door meh
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50
      08-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #63
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Heeeeeyyy! Why are you discluding me?
Sorry I should have qualified that last one...

"It would be awesome to have another local e9x 335 guy who has made the poor financial decision to convert to a full racecar to run with"
Appreciate 2
feuer4274.50
      08-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #64
harendre7201
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
welcome back definitely subbed for the progress
2015 AW F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #65
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
A few photos from my visit to eFab today. The main hoop was bent and tack welded in. Cage should be done within 2 weeks. While this is taking place we have our wiring guy slimming down the main engine harness to include only the basic necessities. Since 95% of the factory systems are going bye bye, we should see some drastic weight savings from the harness and wiring (not to mention MUCH cleaner of a setup). I will be honest, the wiring side of things is what concerns me the most when dealing with a modern CANBUS vehicle. But I'm being reassured that I just need to let the professionals do what they do and trust them with it.

That said, some bad news. We discovered the suspension on the car is KW V3's and due to either PO install error or some design flaw with KW using all stainless materials (it doesn't rust though, right?? ), the lower part of where the strut mounts to the rear lower control were busted up (threads were completely stripped on one, the other just broke off when we tried to remove the nut). KW said they can rebuild the rears for a reasonable amount, while the fronts are completely fine. Since we weren't planning on keeping them anyways, I'll gladly sell them to someone who wants a V3 setup for cheap (PM me if interested). That said, were working on lining up a killer MCS suspension setup that's dialed in specifically for this car. Should be a BIG upgrade over the V3's and much more track car oriented.

Not much has changed on the exterior yet. Heard from Jake at HARD Motorsports today and they are finishing up the Leichtbau Widebody and should have it in the mail within the next few days. M-Tech bumper has arrived and will go on after cage is complete. New CSF radiator is ready for install, along with low temp HARD Motorsports oil cooler thermostat. Planning on venting the hood and installing aerocatch hood pins.

The plan is to run sans aero kit for the next 10 months to really explore the limits of the car; then consider adding aero mid-season 2018 (completely dependent on how dialed in we can get the car by then).

PROGESS.

I'm a tall guy (6'3") and the e90 has plenty of room to fit the main hoop a little further back to accomodate me.

My what beefy plates you have

A view to from the front. Within two weeks, there should be many more bars in place. That's our male model and the mastermind behind this build; Eric with eFab over to the left giving his best Blue Steel impression

Below is the stock 335 lower control arm (bottom horizontal blackish/grayish piece). Because we need new suspension anyways, replacement M3 lower control arms on order to properly fix the stock crappy 335 design that uses a rubber bushing where the strut mounts to the lower control arm. The plan is to run 335 front suspension with M3 rear suspension since we're replacing the suspension with MCS's anyways. The m3 version uses a solid mount which translates to far less slop and better response/feedback

If planning to do this same upgrade that requires m3 rear struts, it's worth mentioning that brand new lower m3 control arms can either be bought new for $200+ per side ($400 total from Bimmerworld, ECS, etc.), or good condition used versions can be found ALL OVER eBay for a fraction of that. I found a good used pair for $150.

And for anyone wanting to upgrade from the crappy rubber bushing without going full M3 mode, AKG makes a rear lower shock mount which adapts the stock 335 rear dampener to a solid spherical bearing setup. That said, NVM will likely be increased. Link to said bushing:
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...e9x-spherical/

I come from the e30 world prior to this and the 335 guibo is about twice the size of the e30's! It's YUUUGE.

Last pic... since we plan on running proper aero at some point, that means no more beautiful ECS Carbon Fiber CSL trunk. Excellent looks but we'll be running a full on wing at some point, and the CSL lid is unfortunately more for 'show' than it is for 'go'. I found a local enthusiast parting out a BSM LCI e90 with the stock trunk and tails for a good price, so that's going to be our setup going forward. That said, the Carbon Fiber pre-lci CSL boot lid is up for sale here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408443

(think we should keep the 328i badging?? )

Last edited by sirdaft1; 08-02-2017 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #66
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
4 doors are little heavier but the chassis is stiffer and better balanced front to rear.

I don't know about balance but the chassis stiffness comment piqued my interest and I may be about to take this thread on a tangent so sorry in advance. Its a moot point once you had a cage.
Traditionally at least, Coupes were the sportier variant for a lot of makes and models because less doors means more welded chassis and higher rigidity as a result.

For those interested :-
This thread, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=340216&page=2

specifically says that E92s are 25% stiffer. I followed the link in the thread but its expired but i still believe that the coupe would be stiffer.