E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Increased Battery Discharge

10-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Increased Battery Discharge

So for the past 2-3 weeks I have had problems with "increased battery discharge" which I don't really know whats going on.

The only electrical I change was the interior LED lights about 2 months ago. I was suspecting when I was detailing my car, the doors and trunk was open for extended period of time. But if I am not mistaken the interior lights should turn off. So maybe except the trunk... Still its LED it should not be drawing that much compared to the filament bulbs. While detailing my radio wasn't even on.

This happened intermittently for 1-2 weeks but this weekend it started again and its not charging the battery anymore while driving.

So I checked all the lights I can think off if they are on but none even the vanity mirrors.

Anything else I should check?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
So I was washing my car today and after I was done, I tried to leave the car wash bay, my car wouldn't start. Called CAA and checked the battery and with his tool, it says that one of the cells is dead so my battery won't hold charge. He tried to jump the car with those portable jumpers it didn't work, he needed to use two!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

New battery?
      10-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Wow, that's what happened to me over the weekend. Minus the car washing part and CAA. Had some other company who took a while to boost the battery. Needed two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
So I was washing my car today and after I was done, I tried to leave the car wash bay, my car wouldn't start. Called CAA and checked the battery and with his tool, it says that one of the cells is dead so my battery won't hold charge. He tried to jump the car with those portable jumpers it didn't work, he needed to use two!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
The car is just over a year old and seeing possibly battery issues its just annoying.

Couple of weeks ago I jump the car using my friends car but her car was running and my car started right away. I guess those portable jumpers doesnt have enough power.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
GTI-Gabe
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

My car just hit a year, and the battery light turned on. It starts no problem, but don't know for how long. It started using less battery (ie. radio won't stay on after car is off, headlights don't stay on when car is unlocked, etc.)

I'll report back in a week after I take it in.
      11-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

to avoid battery drain, make sure you lock the car. this sends a signal to the DME computer to go into standby.

once in standby the IBS battery module monitors the power remaining and will wake up the DME computer to shut down auxiliary functions if the level drops to where the car may not be able to start.

also, while the car is on, is the power load is too high, the DME computer will shut down auxiliary functions as needed. this can include turning off the radio, rear window defrost, reducing or turning off the fan setting.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
to avoid battery drain, make sure you lock the car. this sends a signal to the DME computer to go into standby.

once in standby the IBS battery module monitors the power remaining and will wake up the DME computer to shut down auxiliary functions if the level drops to where the car may not be able to start.

also, while the car is on, is the power load is too high, the DME computer will shut down auxiliary functions as needed. this can include turning off the radio, rear window defrost, reducing or turning off the fan setting.
The car will go into standby whether or not you lock the car or not. It just may go into standby earlier.

Are you guys driving short distances? Our cars only charge the battery over about 1500rpms. Which is highway driving. So if you drive short distances at slow speeds, you won't charge your battery much.

An AGM retrofit is recommended in this type of situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
The car will go into standby whether or not you lock the car or not. It just may go into standby earlier.
yea thats what i'm saying. if a module is hung up, locking the car will give it 5 minutes then cut power to the module. if you don't lock it, the module can draw power for 30 to 60 minutes before going into standby.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
SG_E92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

same issue

BRAISKI, which interior LED light kit did you install? I have been having the same issues for the last month after installing the ModMy3 LED Interior Kit(http://www.modmy3.com/bmw-e92/bmw-e9...lede92kit.html). Not trying to hate on modmy3, just curious if it was the same kit you installed prior to seeing these issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
We had a bad IBS battery cable that told the DME that the battery was low when it was really not. They replaced the battery first, but a hour after we picked the car up the same symptoms were back. They replaced the IBS battery cable and it has been fine since.
      11-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
mitmoht
Not new member anymore, couple months-old member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Smile

Just take it to the dealer and tell them:

If any issues at dealership, have them pull bulletin 61 81 11 0061380300. It calls for warranty replacement of E82 E88 E9X vehicle battery (new 90AH battery). That should resolve the discussion immediately.

I have helped one person out with this, and several others have found out the same. It will replace your weak 70ah battery with a stronger 90 ah battery. Immediately I had no more problems (last winter my rear defroster stopped working or my radio would only stay on < 2 minutes with engine off).

Good luck.
      11-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #13
evangelion139
Dreaming for Manual Transmission E92M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i MT; 2010 E92 M3

i had this problem too, but my batter has 4 years on it. I used to have low battery icon indicated in the dash after I turned off the car, last week I decided to replace it by a new one.

I have LED interior lights and philips 6700k HID installed to the car, i thought was because of the lights caused more electric and damaged the battery ..
      11-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #14
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmoht View Post

If any issues at dealership, have them pull bulletin 61 81 11 0061380300. It calls for warranty replacement of E82 E88 E9X vehicle battery (new 90AH battery). That should resolve the discussion immediately.

I have helped one person out with this, and several others have found out the same. It will replace your weak 70ah battery with a stronger 90 ah battery. Immediately I had no more problems (last winter my rear defroster stopped working or my radio would only stay on < 2 minutes with engine off).

Good luck.
This.

They replaced my battery, which had no problems, under this recall.

OP, I think you and I live close to each other. Our dealer will definitely do this, they are the ones who told me about it.
      11-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmoht View Post

Good luck.
I'm pretty sure the battery isn't "stronger." It has a higher reserve capacity which just means it will last longer before needing a charge.

But I think the CAs and CCAs are the same for all OEM batteries.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I have had my oem battery for over 5 years and
For the last 2 years i had the yellow low batt icon but enough to always start my car with no problems. I have no warranty. Would the recall apply to me? Thx

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I'm pretty sure the battery isn't "stronger." It has a higher reserve capacity which just means it will last longer before needing a charge.

But I think the CAs and CCAs are the same for all OEM batteries.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
ckhm1st
CKHMALWAYS
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 2011 E90 2019 M2C

I had the discharge alarm and it got progressively worse. First the welcome lights went. Then the remote roof operation didn't work and finally the comfort access almost never worked. Took it to the dealer and they determined the problem to be a faulty ISD sensor. Replace that and the car is like all BMWs are - PERFECT! I drive a 2009 335i convertible.

Hope this helps.

PS: Dealer replaced the battery since they said the sensor may have damaged the battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Josh.O
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i (e90)

2006 BMW 330i e90 having similar problems ( PLEASE HELP)

Last night I installed external LED lights in the cabin of my 330i and everything seemed fine. I took it for a drive and when I got back I sat in the car for maybe 30 to 40 minutes just listening to music with the LED lights on. I accidentally put some weight on the gas pedal while the car was in park (the engine was not running) and all of a sudden I hear a faint mechanical whir under the dashboard and the ac stopped blowing hard. It would make fan noise but not blow cold air hard at all. It seemed to be a quick issue so I just took the key out and turned the car on again. Low and behold the ac worked on full blast for maybe 5 seconds and then got clogged or whatever again. Then things got progressively worse really fast. The brakes locked up and an " ABS" warning light popped up. Then when I tried to press the brake to start the car it would cut off the power completely, then the moment I let go of the brake the radio and lights came back on. Soon afterward I realized that when I press the start engine button the car doesn't start. It just makes a clicking noise from somewhere in the car, turns on the dash warning lights for a split second, and jerks a little but doesn't start. I really need help. I'm currently charging the battery to see if that helps but it won't jumpstart so I'm really scared as this is my only mode of transportation.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.O View Post
Last night I installed external LED lights in the cabin of my 330i and everything seemed fine. I took it for a drive and when I got back I sat in the car for maybe 30 to 40 minutes just listening to music with the LED lights on. I accidentally put some weight on the gas pedal while the car was in park (the engine was not running) and all of a sudden I hear a faint mechanical whir under the dashboard and the ac stopped blowing hard... I'm really scared as this is my only mode of transportation.
Hi Josh,

NOT a sermon, just a "REALITY Check". If a 14-year-old car is your ONLY mode of transportation, perhaps spending time/money on DIAGNOSTIC Software and how to use it (INPA for instance) would be more practical than LED Cabin Lights.

Unless I misunderstand your description above, you sat in the car for 30 to 40 minutes with engine OFF, listening to music (Car Audio System in operation?) and with A/C blower ON? THAT would drain ANY battery to the point of NOT engaging the Starter Solenoid.

1) Did you hear a "Ratchet-like" clicking, from the area of your footwell? If Battery Voltage is insufficient to engage the Starter, you WILL hear such a sound, or at least ONE click from the area of the Starter (beneath the rear of the intake manifold).

2) Do you have a Multimeter to measure Voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals under the hood?

3) Do you have a Battery Charger that can charge the battery at a rate of 6 to 10 Amps?

Don't panic. Fear of the unknown, particularly when YOUR car is involved can be stressful, but try to just look at it as a logical assembly of mechanical and electrical parts, and try to understand what happened and why. NOTHING in your description of what happened suggests anything other than a discharged battery, which can NOW be recharged with NO damage to anything.

A) So try charging the battery for several hours.
B) Measure the voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals BEFORE you try to Activate the Starter.
C) Then if > 12.0 Volts, try to Start the engine in normal fashion;
D) IF the engine starts, measure the Voltage with engine running at the same place: Jumpstart Terminals;
E) IF the engine does NOT start, measure the Voltage at Jumpstart terminals, and if your battery NOW only has ~ 10 Volts charge, you have a bad battery which "Flunked" the Load Test applied by the starter.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 09:19 AM   #20
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, it turns out that I had a poor battery cable connection, the negative terminal was loose, so it caused the error message to appear. Cleaning the battery post from corrosion and re-tightening it made my car work properly. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " BMW Increased Battery Discharge on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 09:28 AM   #21
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

For me it happened because of the battery being old (about 10 years), replacing it instantly solved it. And no, the terminals were absolutely not loose when I replaced it.
Appreciate 0