E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Seat sensor malfunction

06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
apples and oranges

BLUF: They are required by the Federal Government to replace the seat mat sensor. EVEN IF IT IS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE FAULT.

I know it's a PIA to take time off from work to "haggle" with a dealer.

Ask the dealer to provide written notification to you that this is not the cause of the fault code. In the unfortunate event that someone is hurt or killed from their failure to comply with Federal Regulation this will provide an admission of culpability on the part of the Dealer and (potentially) BMW of North America.

I am not a Lawyer but probably should have been one.

Be nice to the people at the dealer even if it kills you. Your far more likely to succeed and be happier for it.

BMW IS EXTENDING THE WARRANTY TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT TO THE FOLLOWING VEHICLES: MY 2006 6- SERIES, 3-SERIES (STANDARD SEAT), MY 2004-2005 Z4, MY 2004-2006 7-SERIES, MY 2006 X5, AND MY 2004-2006 5-SERIES (COMFORT SEAT). UNDER THE EXTENDED WARRANTY PROGRAM, THE OCCUPANT DETECTION MAT IN A VEHICLE THAT EXPERIENCES THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCAK-08V384-2899.pdf (31.9 KB, 1430 views)

Last edited by smellthebeans; 06-02-2010 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #24
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nky View Post
Are you sure that is the correct part number for the passenger occupancy OC3 sensor? I asked an independent shop and they gave me this part number:

52 10 7 244 127
I dont seem to find any ref. to that number

Are you sure the nr is correct
The nuber dsnīt show as a current or old nr.

strange

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
nky
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
I dont seem to find any ref. to that number

Are you sure the nr is correct
The nuber dsnīt show as a current or old nr.

strange
Yes I'm sure it's the correct part number. I finally got the sensor fixed at the dealer under goodwill. This is what it says on my invoice:

52-10-7-244-127 Basic seat upholstery

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&fg=10&hl=11
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #26
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
hiya, yeah i can see it also on the EPC under part info. The ref nr is accurate, but the part isnt available as a regular item as such ?

Also the ref. in the bmwfans site shows a single clip under "6" .. bloody expensive clip

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #27
cmich325i
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Also experiencing the same SRS problem.

I am having a similar problem with the BMW dealership and BMW customer service with this SRS light/ passenger seat occupancy detector.

The dealership just gave me the part no. 52 107 244 128 as the replacement part. I have an 06 330i sedan with a 07/2006 production date.

According to both the BMW dealer and BMW Customer service, this particular model was not covered...
What am I supposed to do at this point? How am I supposed to find out which specific seat occupancy detector I have and whether its supposed to be covered or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #28
benzo23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmich325i View Post
I am having a similar problem with the BMW dealership and BMW customer service with this SRS light/ passenger seat occupancy detector.

The dealership just gave me the part no. 52 107 244 128 as the replacement part. I have an 06 330i sedan with a 07/2006 production date.

According to both the BMW dealer and BMW Customer service, this particular model was not covered...
What am I supposed to do at this point? How am I supposed to find out which specific seat occupancy detector I have and whether its supposed to be covered or not.
I had the same problem on my car. Mine was CPO and they covered it no problem but my SA told me there was a recall on it anyways, I dont know the cars affected or the yr/model's. I would take it back to them and argue that there was a recall on it and that its a severe safety issue. Its one thing for them to not cover something like a noisy valve lifter, but another for them to deny something like an airbag sensor esp if you have kids. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #29
cmich325i
Rep

Basically, the problem is that according to their records, there is no recall or TSB on this particular vehicle although some other VIN ranges of 06 3 series cars are in fact covered.

They are suggesting that I have it repaired and if they ever decide to recall it, then I would get reimbursed... Supposedly. But the problem is I don't want to come out of pocket almost a thousand dollars to fix something I know they have a problem with.

I didn't know if someone has more information about it than I do.
Do I have to tear the seat down to find out who made the occupancy detector?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #30
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

AUG 05, 2008 | Recall ID# 81074 Hide Details
Recall Reason AIR BAGS:FRONTAL
Recall Date AUG 05, 2008
Model Affected 3 SERIES
Potential Units Affected 200000

Recall Summary
BMW IS RECALLING 200,000 MY 2006 3 SERIES SPORT SEAT, MY 2004-2006 5 SERIES STANDARD AND SPORT SEAT, AND MY 2004-2006 X3 PASSENGER VEHICLES. DEPENDING ON THE MANNER AND FREQUENCY OF THE FRONT PASSENGER'S ENTRY AND EXIT, SMALL CRACKS HAVE DEVELOPED IN THE MAT. IF THIS OCCURS, THE FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE HEAD PROTECTION SYSTEM, WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND THE AIR BAG WARNING LAMP AS WELL AS THE PASSENGER AIR BAG "ON-OFF" LAMP WILL BE ILLUMINATED.

Consequence
IN THIS SITUATION THE FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY EVEN IF A SUFFICIENTLY SEVERE ACCIDENT WOULD OCCUR AND OCCUPANT PROTECTION PROVIDED BY THE SYSTEM WOULD NOT BE POSSIBLE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REWORK THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT SENSOR MAT SO THAT EXTERNAL FORCE APPLICATION TO THE SEAT DOES NOT CAUSE A CRACK TO THE MAT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 6, 2008. BMW WILL ALSO EXTEND THE WARRANTY ON THESE VEHICLES TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-525-7417.

Notes
BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC

----
Does this means that cars that are recalled have 10 years of comprehensive warranty? Which warranty does the BMW of North America refer to when they say "BMW WILL ALSO EXTEND THE WARRANTY ON THESE VEHICLES TO 10 YEARS FROM FIRST REGISTRATION WITHOUT ANY MILEAGE LIMIT" ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #31
cmich325i
Rep

Well, this definitely looks positive, except for I don't understand why they keep telling me my car is not affected by this recall...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #32
cmich325i
Rep

Well, I found a bunch of complaints on the National Highway Safety/DOT website, but apparently, the 330i's were not covered in this particular recall, according to what I am reading and discovering. Although they apparently have the same problem or type of problem, BMW is not acknowledging that the 330s are affected by this.
So basically, what I did was I filed a complaint on the NHTSA website and I am going to print out all of the complaints and go into the dealership and go to bat...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #33
bugsandry
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW e92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmich325i View Post
Well, I found a bunch of complaints on the National Highway Safety/DOT website, but apparently, the 330i's were not covered in this particular recall, according to what I am reading and discovering. Although they apparently have the same problem or type of problem, BMW is not acknowledging that the 330s are affected by this.
So basically, what I did was I filed a complaint on the NHTSA website and I am going to print out all of the complaints and go into the dealership and go to bat...
I bought my car in the US and now it's imported to Canada...Can I still file a complaint with the NHTSA Website?

Where do you find that 330 is not included since the recall mention 3-series only and not model-specific.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #34
cmich325i
Rep

Try running the VIN number to see if yours would be covered. All that you would get is an extention up to ten years from in service date.

On the national highway safety website, it says model year 06 3 series are covered by the recall, but when you look up complaints about airbags, you find a lot of people with 330's aparently are being denied coverage of the recall. You have to call BMW to find out if you are covered. It does ask you where you are located, so I don't know if being in Canada will impact your case.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
cmich325i
Rep

well, left the car at the dealership all day to try to get this problem resolved with the airbag...

basically nothing happened. They said they can't cover it because the recall is very vin specific and they could have made 200 cars and only 5 specific cars would have been recalled (don't really think thats the case - it would cost too much for such a short production run of specific seat pads), but instead I am thinking that these were pretty much all the same. According to the tech, they are the same and should be covered, but its not up to him.
The story is... the recall is VIN specific and my car, plain and simple (although it has the OC3 seat mat) is just not covered...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #36
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have a 2006 330i with sport seats that has a bad seat mat sensor but when I called BMW they said my car was not covered under the recall. They were polite but told me that because I was the second owner of the car they could not do anything to help me like a goodwill repair. I have a carmax extended warranty so I am hoping that it will cover the repair. It is strange the only time it gives me a problem is when the passenger is around 100 to 120 lbs, anything over or under and it works fine. My wife only weighs 108 so she gets no airbag protection when riding in my car which is not a good thing. Hopefully I can get this resolved this week. I will file a complaint with NHTSA.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #37
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I have a 2006 330i with sport seats that has a bad seat mat sensor but when I called BMW they said my car was not covered under the recall. They were polite but told me that because I was the second owner of the car they could not do anything to help me like a goodwill repair. I have a carmax extended warranty so I am hoping that it will cover the repair. It is strange the only time it gives me a problem is when the passenger is around 100 to 120 lbs, anything over or under and it works fine. My wife only weighs 108 so she gets no airbag protection when riding in my car which is not a good thing. Hopefully I can get this resolved this week. I will file a complaint with NHTSA.

I get the same thing. When my daughter sits in the front passenger seat and she weighs just shy of one hundred pounds also it will set off the overhead warning light. Mine is a CPO 330i with 08/2006 build date that had the seat mat replaced under what looks like the CPO inspection prior to my purchasing the car. Not really able to tell looking at the service paperwork if it was covered under warranty or not. Guess I will have ask my dealer, although I have the car stored for winter, it will have to wait until spring when it goes in for service.

The paperwork lists SIB657506

Also it does list the Mat as P/N #52-10-7-244-128

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 04:09 AM   #38
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
denied not supprised

Sad to see all of the complaints on the NHTSA website. Especially, those who BMW has denied claims/coverage too all in an effort to drive up profit margins.

I owned an X3 & E90 both with sport seats and both replaced under the original warranty.
      01-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #39
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtural View Post
This I believe is a recall item. Check out the NHTSA web site and search for:
NHTSA Action Number: EA08001. It should not cost you any money out of pocket.

If you bought the car from an independent used car-dealer, it is highly likely that the recall was not done.
Wow. The NHTSA website is not that easy to use. Typical.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #40
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Not to defend BMW or anything but the recall is limited to 200,000 units. It also includes 04-06 5 series (standard and sport seats) and X3 Seats.

Think about how many 5 series and X3 vehicles were sold before the 3series with sport seats went on sale at the end of 05.....

That doesn't leave much inventory to install in 06 MY 3 series vehicles.

I had my passenger sensor mat replaced under CPO...$50 deductible. I don't have sport seats but my mat cracked as well.

It sucks that KNEELING on the seat will expedite the cracking in the mat but BMW can't replace everyones mat for free. Should they? Yes. But it's technically a wearable part as is the leather on the seat. Nothing is made indestructible.

I realize the mat is part of the safety release system and it is impotent but the whole safety restraint system isn't disabled. The head restraint and curtain airbags will still work.

Also to the person who mentioned children in the front seat....most children's weight will not activate the front airbag anyway. And it's a law in some states that children have to ride in the back seat.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
It's perfectly understandable that wear and tear items break. However, BMW admitted that certain seat mat sensors provided by Continental did not meet manufacturers requirements set for durability (Hence the recall). Those sensors were used in the manufacture of the sports seats. At least that's what they said to the NHTSA.

Unlike other common "wear and tear" items, replacement of the seat mat sensor item is not a simple shade tree mechanic job. I dont think it's unreasonable to expect safety related items last longer than 48 months. Many of these sensors dont make it that far. Following your logic we should also replace antilock break sensors, master cylinders, and power steering pumps every 48 months?

Like every other manufacturer in the market they need to maintain profit margins. Especially because they are relatively low volume manufacturer in the world market. They do that by denying defects unless prompted by the government or public opinion and denying good faith repairs that previously would have been approved. (People in NA should be happy because I dont think good faith repairs exist here in Germany) The only reason this recall has not been expanded is because it has not killed or injured anyone yet.

I completely agree with Mike Miller. The quality of BMW manufacturing processes are on the decline and the cars are overly complex. Remember way back when passenger side airbags first came out? You could go to the dealer and have them install a manual cutoff switch. It was ALWAYS on. Why is it not like that now? Now, consumers are stuck with a fancy pants electronic scale in the passenger seat. BMW's sales numbers may be bucking the trend now but at some point the chickens will come home to roost.
      02-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #42
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got denied too. There is no recourse? Basically the same as telling us yes we sold you a bad product but too bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #43
typeszh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just filed a complaint to the NHTSA. You have to download a form then upload it.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/portable/index.cfm#upload
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
CaptainMegaTarp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My production date was 01dec2005 and according to TSB:SI B 72 02 06 the VIN's included on recall campaign #08v-384 were through nov2005. Dealership insisted they would go to bat for me on this but BMW NA case manager said nothing could be done.

That TSB describes my symptom exactly and dealership confirmed the same problem.

So I am stuck with $850+$135 diagnostic on something that is 100% BMW's fault...or trying to DIY my passenger air bag system...

I will def be speaking to BMW NA, my dealership, Massachusetts AG office (already filed formal complaint with DOT).

Anyone have experience with a similar situation? All advice is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0