E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > PSA: Caution updating xDelete

12-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

PSA: Caution updating xDelete

Just a FYI.

In the most recent app update, xDelete now requires you to create a login and have a valid internet connection to use xDelete. If you have a non cellular tablet in the glove box for car apps, it will need to be connected to the internet every couple weeks to "re-authorize" the app.

The last version wasn't like this and you could leave the tablet in the glove box and switch modes anywhere, at any time.

Hopefully this prevents someone from getting stuck in a remote area.

Found the old APK but unfortunately xDelete blocks it from re-initializing and forces the app to shut down.

Last edited by carguy138; 12-04-2019 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Nismo G50.00
      12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

It's just bad design by their part to insure people don't crack the app and use it for free. I mean pro-tools lets you save the log in details for 5 days for bullshit like this. If I knew they were going to lock me out because I don't pay for data on my phone I would never buy the product in the first place. One big blemish on a rather amazing product.
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
BooSSted
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Just to clarify... Will the app stop working and remove the xDelete feature from the car, or will it stay the same and you're just not able to make additional changes until you re-connect to the internet?

Sorry for the newb question. I don't have this yet, but looking at getting it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Pittz1
2018 M3 ZCP / 06 330xi
Rep
Drives: 330xi 2006 / 18 M3 ZCP

Flawless app. I would imagine this is a big problem for iPhone people. I do not see it being an issue logging in or having internet connection. If this means I get to keep using the 2wd feature, I can live with it. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Basically it means that you cannot reflash (i.e. from 2wd to AWD) without an internet connection. Every couple weeks the "login token" or whatever expires. So for someone like me who generally leaves it in 2WD most of the time but only turns AWD on when needed, I better hope I can access the internet.

Several years ago I had an older Samsung Galaxy phone that I kept in the glove box just for using a couple car apps. CEL popped up around annual inspection time and the app wouldn't work. At some point everything switched to Google Play and I couldn't authorize the app. So even though I paid for it, and it worked great on the phone, the authorization process killed it from working.

So the annoying part is lets say in 3-4 years the owner sells the car and needs to switch back to AWD. Device has connectivity problems with Google Play and now can't flash it back. Happened to me with Torque and was a real pain in the neck.

Really, really dumb for RBT to do this.

Essentially the app was good to go for "life" as long as it was installed on your android device. Now RBT imposed a "digital shelf life" that makes the app contingent on connectivity.

Last edited by carguy138; 12-05-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

In the grand scheme of things, how many of us are really in a remote location switching between awd and 2wd? If you have a secondary tablet that doesn't have internet, just create a hot spot on your actual cell phone and connect your tablet to that network.

I do agree that it's stupid we even have to do that, but at the end of the day, does this cause me to go way out of my way? No.

The xdelete should almost work like the Cobb. Once it's "on" your car, it can't be installed on another car until it's deleted from your current car. This seems like the best practice.
      12-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo G View Post
In the grand scheme of things, how many of us are really in a remote location switching between awd and 2wd? If you have a secondary tablet that doesn't have internet, just create a hot spot on your actual cell phone and connect your tablet to that network.

I do agree that it's stupid we even have to do that, but at the end of the day, does this cause me to go way out of my way? No.

The xdelete should almost work like the Cobb. Once it's "on" your car, it can't be installed on another car until it's deleted from your current car. This seems like the best practice.
Yeah I get that and it makes total sense.

The bigger problem lies the whole network behind it. I've been burned a couple times with apps exactly like this. First time it was the transition from the google store to google play. The old samsung phone that I used to check/clear CELs couldn't be updated to the newest android operating system and thus couldn't use google play. Could no longer use the app Torque anymore because the authorization process killed it.

Next stunt was with Carly. It was once a buy once type deal but they switched it to a subscription service. Sure they grandfathered prior users in but each time there was an update, the additional features wouldn't transfer over. Always involved contacting them, sending them receipts, reactivating, etc. Then they bricked the Carly Gen II OBD adapter with a free "update". Only solution was to buy their newest adapter. They also require an internet connection to use it and push updates without the consent of the user. Just a few weeks ago, Carly killed the app through a push update and forced an upgrade.

It's just tiring to buy a product but have no control over it.

If you bought Cobb for a 335i in 2008, it would still work now. An app based product likely wouldn't. The problem here is that RBT took something that would last as long as the device lasted and updated it to have a shelf life.

With this, you could very realistically buy xDelete and deactive AWD. Drive around for a few years and then decide to sell the car. Google Play has another update and your old device won't connect/authorize. Now you're stuck with a more complicated problem that usually involves buying a new tablet or phone.

Can't blame them though, from a business perspective tracking user data is very valuable. Since you can log in with a google or facebook account, I'm sure they are getting a cut from that in some way.

Last edited by carguy138; 12-18-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 04:24 AM   #8
Mark963
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
I was curious about xDelete and thought I might try it out next summer, but I'm tired of dealing with the Android mess of constantly changing apps and what works one week goes away or starts collecting more data the next. I'm glad I hadn't tried it yet and don't think I ever will. Thank you for spreading the word so I could make my own choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Yeah I get that and it makes total sense.

The bigger problem lies the whole network behind it. I've been burned a couple times with apps exactly like this. First time it was the transition from the google store to google play. The old samsung phone that I used to check/clear CELs couldn't be updated to the newest android operating system and thus couldn't use google play. Could no longer use the app Torque anymore because the authorization process killed it.

Next stunt was with Carly. It was once a buy once type deal but they switched it to a subscription service. Sure they grandfathered prior users in but each time there was an update, the additional features wouldn't transfer over. Always involved contacting them, sending them receipts, reactivating, etc. Then they bricked the Carly Gen II OBD adapter with a free "update". Only solution was to buy their newest adapter. They also require an internet connection to use it and push updates without the consent of the user. Just a few weeks ago, Carly killed the app through a push update and forced an upgrade.

It's just tiring to buy a product but have no control over it.

If you bought Cobb for a 335i in 2008, it would still work now. An app based product likely wouldn't. The problem here is that RBT took something that would last as long as the device lasted and updated it to have a shelf life.

With this, you could very realistically buy xDelete and deactive AWD. Drive around for a few years and then decide to sell the car. Google Play has another update and your old device won't connect/authorize. Now you're stuck with a more complicated problem that usually involves buying a new tablet or phone.

Can't blame them though, from a business perspective tracking user data is very valuable. Since you can log in with a google or facebook account, I'm sure they are getting a cut from that in some way.
and so this is why my Carly no longer reads the codes? this is rather infuriating. they bricked the old Gen Ii?! wtf
Appreciate 0