E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Smartphone Integration (6NF) on 2009 Models

12-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #89
energy
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i LCI

i think i am using the latest iphone 3gs software, not jailbroken.
version 3.1.2 (7D11)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 01:27 AM   #90
Dante
Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F31 330d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy View Post
i think i am using the latest iphone 3gs software, not jailbroken.
version 3.1.2 (7D11)
Strange, thats the same version I have.

Do you have something connected to the USB port? Because the USB has priority over the iPhone adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:49 AM   #91
energy
Malaysia
Rep

nothing connected to usb ports.
i'll take some pictures and post them later.

thanks.
energy
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #92
energy
Malaysia
Rep

what about the usb snap-in adapter pn 84 212 151 043 02?
i see it on www.realoem.com for my 2009 e90 N52N right hand drive 325i rather than usb adapter with pn 84 212 158 683.

which should i use?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #93
energy
Malaysia
Rep

there is an 'aux (front)' shown active all the time at the top right corner of my idrive. I dont have anything connected to the usb port in the glove compartment nor in the arm rest. how do i fix it?

please advice.

energy
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #94
JPBB
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

iPhone Snap in Adaptor

Read through this long post but I'm still not whether it makes sense for me to buy the cradle or just stick with my USB adaptor.

I just picked up a 2010 3 series with the 6FL iPod and USB Adaptor, but no 6NF Smartphone Integration (was already built so I didn't have a choice).

I would like to play music/make calls/charge iphone.

It appears the my current setup with just the USB adaptor will play music and make calls but not charge the phone. Am I correct on this?

It also appears from reading through these posts that if I do get the 84-21-2-158-683 SNAP-IN ADAPTOR, it will allow me to charge my phone/make calls but not listen to music from the iphone.

Sorry if the question seems redundant.

JP
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #95
Sirrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Sorry I don't have a definative answer for you, but from what I've experienced (2009) and read your iPod Y-cable should charge your phone. The charge is very slow because the USB port doesn't provide very much power.

The thing I really don't like is that you can't see the phone when it's in that compartment. I'm thinking about running an iPod extension cable to a mount so I can use a GPS app while listening to music.

In short, it looks like the only benefits are enhanced reception via the sharkfin and having a secure place for the phone.

Last edited by Sirrus; 02-06-2010 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #96
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I actually have an unopened iPhone snap-in adapter (part 84212158683) that I don't need. It works with both the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #97
csekar15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 740Li

iphone 3GS integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
EVERYONE:

The snap-in adapter does NOTHING with regards to allowing you to "control the iPhone via the iDrive menu". ALL control of the phone (regardless of whether the phone is in your pocket, in the trunk, lying on the ground next to your car, plugged into 6FL, or even plugged into the snap-in adapter) is done via Bluetooth connection.

What the "old" snap-in adapters did was simply give you a place to put the phone, connected a power source to charge the phone, and gave access to the roof antenna. That's all. The car is still communicating with the phone through bluetooth, and only bluetooth, at all times.

6FL allows accessing USB devices to play music. For the specific case of the iPod (or an iPhone, which can act as an iPod over USB interface), the car can control the iPod portion of an iPhone via the USB Y-cable connected to 6FL.

With the advent of the iPhone (and other phones that allow accessing music files on the device via a USB connection) you then have to make a choice: i.e. you cannot connect to both the snap-in adapter (for roof antenna access) and 6FL (for USB access to music) at the same time.

BMW's solution was come up with new prewiring and a new snap-in adapter, the combination of which allow putting an iPhone (for example) into the "new" type of snap-in adapter and giving connection simultaneously to both 6FL, power, and the roof antenna, all at the same time. Option 6NF is simply the prewiring and factory preparation so that the car is ready to have the new type snap-in adapter added by the owner.

BMW's solution was somewhat of a kludge, in that the USB connection in 6NF/new-snap-in is really the same USB connection used by 6FL. The car is still designed/programmed to accept only one USB device in the armrest. So, BMW simply set this up so that any time a USB device is connected to 6FL, it will be detected by the car, and the USB device in the 6NF/new-snap-in will be ignored. If no USB device is connected to 6FL, the car will detect the USB device in 6NF/new-snap-in. This is what I mean by "kludge" - what they should have done is allowed both connections to be live, and allowed selecting between the two USB devices through iDrive. Having said that, I was thrilled that BMW aknowledged the conflict (i.e. that iPhone users previously had to choose between used of the old snap-in or 6FL) and provided some kind of solution (at least for new-build cars).

So, there is really NO new phone functionality being added here - just the ability for the phone to be in a snap-in adapter (of the new type and with 6NF) and also be connected to 6FL at the same time.

All of the iDrive photos and demos above that show phone operations actually have nothing to do with 6NF or the snap-in adapter (aside from the demonstration of better reception due to roof antenna use). Operation of the phone through New iDrive is identical, whether or not 6NF/snap-in are installed.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.
I hope you can help me. I don't know what the snap-in adapter is or 6FL or 6NF is. I just bought a brand new 2011 740Li. I asked the dealer to add teh smartphone integration. What I was hoping to get with that was a clean way (not using the Aux jack that comes in that Y-cable) to listen to music. I was hoping to place my iphone 3GS on the adapter and have access to my music (without the use of the accessory jack) and have the phone charge and have access to the roof antenna.

Is that possible? What are the items I need? The dealer claims that he installed the smartphone integration today at the dealership, but can't get music to play. He doesn't know what needs to be done. Is the smartphone integration kit option for $150 a factory installed option? Or can it be installed at the dealer?

Also, do I need the snap-in adapter on top of the smartphone integration kit to play music, charge and have access to antenna?

Remember, the car I bought did not come preinstalled with the smartphone integration. The dealership is selling me something to install now.

Please help with understanding what 6FL and 6NF are.

Thanks
Chandra
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #98
UAgeek71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335

Garage List
Please forgive me if I'm missing something, but after going through this thread I have a few questions for anyone who has an 09 or greater with iDrive, USB aux and the smartphone snap in for iPhone 3g(s). (Both 6nf and 6fl)

I understand the charging, external antenna access, and apparently data access, but my question relates to music playback. If I understand this correctly, with an iPhone in the tray, there is no connection to the aux in stereo mini jack. Does this mean that audio is being taken from the dock connector, streamed via bluetooth or some other method all together? Basically what is the method of audio playback via this setup?

And since this does not use the Aux In, has anyone tried to attach an ipod touch, or classic to the smartphone tray interface to see if you are able to bypass the need for the "Y" cable?
Appreciate 0