E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First time Zaino user!

11-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
tt2017
Newb-immer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328Xi (SG)

Garage List
2008 328Xi  [0.00]
First time Zaino user!

I bit the bullet and bought numerous Zaino products....AIO, Z2, Z6, Z9 and Z10. The bill was hefty so I had high expectations. I followed the directions on the Zaino site. At first I could not believe that using the recommended 1/2 oz of product was feasible or possible. I used the Z6 to keep the applicator lightly damp and it went well. Did it all by hand including the claying at the start!

The shine is not as glossy as the one I get using a carnuba wax, but the feel of the paint is great. More important is the protection I should get from it.

Is anyone using more than the 1/2 ounce of of AIO or Z2? I did apply a second coat after 24 hours. Since the car is dark gray I can't say is was much glossier, but again the paint feels like satin. I used Z2 instead of Z5, was this the right choice? Not sure how much it really matters?

I am considering a clear bra because I noticed some small rock chips on the front bumper. The car is on the interstate each day for about 8 miles to and from work. Not sure if they are worth the investment.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Z5 is designed to help mask some surface imperfections. If your paint is in good shape without swirls etc. you will be fine with Z2. I prefer Z2 on my Space Grey E92.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
tt2017
Newb-immer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328Xi  [0.00]
So far it's swirl-less...and hoping to keep it that way. I have taken a new approach to car washing, I used to take my cars through the wash where five guys clean the car as fast as possible. Looks like handwashing will have to be the way to go. Not sure how easy this will be when winter sets in!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
The ZAIO also helps with the swirls, etc,so you really don't need the Z5. Some people like the look of Z5 on darker colors better, but that sort of thing is in the eyes of the beholder.

If you use the ZFX additive, under normal temps and humidity, you can do more than one coat in a day.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
WDW1Fanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i; Lexus RX400h

Garage List
I've used Zaino for probably 10 years by now on both lighter (pearl white, metallic grey) and darker colors (metallic blue) including on my new Monaco Blue E93. Multiple layers of Z2 and/or Z5 will build up the "depth of shine". Personally, I believe that Z5 helps do that better with darker colors, but it takes multiple layers for me to see a difference. As goofy as it may sound, when Z5 came out a few years ago, I stripped the multiple layers of Z2 off my dark blue ride with Dawn and reapplied Z5+Z5+Z2 to see if I could see a difference. I believe I could, and for my dark color cars, Z5 and Z2 is my ritual -- Z2 only on the lighter ones. Yes, Z5 supposedly has some ability to help with swirls but it's pretty minimal in my opinion. ZPC for me does a better job on small problem areas where I don't want to pull out my porter cable -- just remember to reapply Z2/Z5 afterwards.

A few other suggestions: If you ultimately decide to go the Z5 route, always end with a layer of Z2 as it has better reflective properties -- that's per Sal (of Zaino fame, and I take his word as gospel on things like that.) For example, the day my E93 came home a couple of weeks ago, it got 2 layers of Z5 and one of Z2. Since then, another Z5 and Z2. It will be getting a couple more perhaps this weekend. My finish is far superior to what it looked like when I took delivery. As mentioned by DPrichett, you'll likely need to use ZFX (I do) to get multiple layers applied on in the same day -- humidity or use of too much product will significantly increase drying time. .5 oz of product sounds about right for each application when doing it by hand -- the couple of times I've tried machine application, it does take at least double that given the waste involved -- hand application is my preference. The other trick I do is apply Z2/Z5 in vertical lines on the sides of the car, and horizontal from front bumper, over the hood and top and down the trunk and rear bumper. Again, perhaps a slight reflective improvement that Sal (of Zaino fame) mentioned to me years ago and I've been doing ever since.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I used to use Z-2 only on my black car, and after reading some posts here a year or so ago, I started using Z-5 for the base, then layers of Z-2. Not sure I see a difference, but that's what I've been doing since.

Although I've since tried many different products, some of which have a slightly different look than a Zaino shine, I think the Zaino shine looks great. I'm realizing it's all in the prep -- all the products I've tried look good, just very slightly different from product to product. But Zaino seems to last longer than just about anything, so I keep going back for more.
      11-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
tt2017
Newb-immer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328Xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I am on the right track for my first use anyway and I am going to take the advice of using Z-5 then the Z-2. One thing I can say for sure about the Zaino is my paint feels like satin! My wife has commented in it a couple of times. I have not used a PC yet. Not sure that I will invest in one. The Zaino applies very easily so unless the PC is going to give me a more durable application, I'll keep doing it by hand.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #8
WDW1Fanatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 335i; Lexus RX400h

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt2017 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I am on the right track for my first use anyway and I am going to take the advice of using Z-5 then the Z-2. One thing I can say for sure about the Zaino is my paint feels like satin! My wife has commented in it a couple of times. I have not used a PC yet. Not sure that I will invest in one. The Zaino applies very easily so unless the PC is going to give me a more durable application, I'll keep doing it by hand.
My suggestion is don't buy a PC because of the Zaino application... I personally think it's easier and uses less product (therefore saves money) by applying by hand. Just remember to use very little product and be sure it hazes and is absolutely dry before you start removal and it's simple.

The PC is the way to go if you end up needing to do more heavy-duty polishing beyond what is needed with ZAIO/Z2/Z5. e.g. I spent several hours yesterday working on the hood of my new E93 as it had a new big bird @#$* that had etched in I'm afraid from my taking the car in for it's first multi-day service and not letting them wash it. It was also an excuse to resolve some swirls/minor scratches likely introduced by the dealer in their initial car prep... Used the PC to work out the problem areas with machine polish followed by ZPC, then applied 2 coats of Z5 with ZFX, followed by Z2 and it's looking good once again.

There are as many opinions on how to do this stuff as there are people out here on the forum, but if you really get into this detailing thing, or just want to see what someone else uses and does soup to nuts, a couple of pages on my personal website may be of interest -- start with the Detailing and Zaino pages. Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:42 AM   #9
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you are not happy with the gloss, just slap on your choice of carnauba. I always top my Z5 with some CG5050 or some Dodo juice. I find that it doesnt add much gloss, but it makes the paint a lot "warmer" and very very slick.

Or if you dont want to deal with carnaubas, just wipe the car down with Z8 after you are done with z2/z5. Z8 is a "sealant booster" which helps bring out the shine more. You'll find a lot of people swear by Z8 and will always go over the car with it after they seal.
      11-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
tt2017
Newb-immer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328Xi  [0.00]
You guys are awesome! I am becoming addicted to this site already. I need to step up my game and get some tags going. On my next round of Zaino I will try some of the suggestions here.
Appreciate 0