E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any Flex Fuel news?

07-18-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Any Flex Fuel news?

Hey. I have the Vishnu Flex Fuel kit. I am wondering if anyone has any information out there on the status of the maps. I have been trying to get a hold of people but it has been completely silent. I heard rumors of some beta maps being released "tomorrow" but that was months ago. I have the same error where there is underboost detected, but this error does not show up on maps 0 or 1. It only shows up on the flex fuel map (even if only using 91 octane).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I left Vishnu for jb4! That was never my intentions but the lack of support and future updates caused me to leave.
Since going to jb4 they have updated maps several times.....some to adjust drivability, and others with new features.
Hopefully Vishnu will start to give us stock turbo guys some love again, but seriously doubt it.

With that being said i love my jb4!! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Bump...

I have a can of meth that's been just sitting in my garage evaporating ever since I got the flex fuel kit 7 months ago. I would love to be able to use it again, especially with how hot the weather's been getting lately.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bme30
I left Vishnu for jb4! That was never my intentions but the lack of support and future updates caused me to leave.
Since going to jb4 they have updated maps several times.....some to adjust drivability, and others with new features.
Hopefully Vishnu will start to give us stock turbo guys some love again, but seriously doubt it.

With that being said i love my jb4!! Good luck.
But jb4 doesn't offer a flex fuel sensor, that is what OP is speaking of.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I also have the flex fuel kit, upped RB's and a meth kit. As far as I understood, they are waiting for a car to get the tuning done. I believe one of the forum members would provide his car but seems to be that it has not been happening sofar.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

+1. Just bumping this because it is sinking lower and lower in the forum with no real answers. I too have the FF kit and have been waiting on a non-beta map for what....almost a year?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Die_Low
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the ff kit as well. I went from jb4 + meth to procede + ff. I've had it for about 6 months now. Been having problems with the ff kit since day one. I will admit I was able to fix some of the bugs but still having some issues. I'm frustrated at the point where I'm about to put car to stock and sell the car. The first 2 weeks I called vishnu almost everyday. Got the run around everyday. Was told a few times they would call me back. Even got to speak to shiv himself on the phone, he even promised to call me back. Never got a call back from anyone. They asked me to email them data logs. I emailed them quite a few times of many data logs and videos. Never got 1 email back... Not trying to bash vishnu or shiv. The performance is there with the ff kit but so are the bugs that go with it. This is just the experience I had with my vishnu and my ff kit. I'm sure or I hope others have had better luck than me. Do I recommend the ff kit? I don't to any of my n54 friends. We have over 12 n54's at my car meet. I tell them all to stay away from the ff kit for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_Low View Post
I have the ff kit as well. I went from jb4 + meth to procede + ff. I've had it for about 6 months now. Been having problems with the ff kit since day one. I will admit I was able to fix some of the bugs but still having some issues. I'm frustrated at the point where I'm about to put car to stock and sell the car. The first 2 weeks I called vishnu almost everyday. Got the run around everyday. Was told a few times they would call me back. Even got to speak to shiv himself on the phone, he even promised to call me back. Never got a call back from anyone. They asked me to email them data logs. I emailed them quite a few times of many data logs and videos. Never got 1 email back... Not trying to bash vishnu or shiv. The performance is there with the ff kit but so are the bugs that go with it. This is just the experience I had with my vishnu and my ff kit. I'm sure or I hope others have had better luck than me. Do I recommend the ff kit? I don't to any of my n54 friends. We have over 12 n54's at my car meet. I tell them all to stay away from the ff kit for now.
Wow im glad this thread popped up. I have the open flash and after buying that i looked at there website to see what else they offered and noticed the flex fuel kit. I was originally going to upgrade my pump, but i liked the idea of the sensor.

I pmed shiv 2-3 times already and havnt gotten 1 response back. I was trying to asked him if the kit would work with the open flash or if he had plans to make it work with it. I really dont want to buy a proceed on top of the open flash just for the flex fuel kit.

So far i have 35% ethanol in my car on the stage 1 open flash tune and it pulls great. I just wish i could go 100% which is what made me interested in this kit. It was already a concern to have to get a proceed but after what you guys are saying its looking like its not even worth the extra money since you've had it for so long and its not working right.

Maybe i'll just go back to my original idea of getting my inline walbro pump and running 60-70% ethanol since the tune adjusts well to it already.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

So....Nothing? Why is this thread being ignored?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserN54 View Post
So....Nothing? Why is this thread being ignored?
I feel bad for you guys...I was thinking about making the switch to flex fuel bc all the headache flash tunes are when filling up e85...Reading these responses makes me feel better about not switching...im sorry that doesnt help you guys but here is a bump to hoping you guys get a solution soon...This is for the 5+ guys in this thread who shelled out good money for a working kit and tune..
      07-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooringhusky View Post
I feel bad for you guys...I was thinking about making the switch to flex fuel bc all the headache flash tunes are when filling up e85...Reading these responses makes me feel better about not switching...im sorry that doesnt help you guys but here is a bump to hoping you guys get a solution soon...This is for the 5+ guys in this thread who shelled out good money for a working kit and tune..
I agree, it sucks too because i want a full e-85 kit.

Looks like the better choice is running the walbro 392 (for less than $100) and getting a custom dyno tune is a better option right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die_Low View Post
What are your issues? Do you have the inline pump as well? I have been running this kit since the first it was released without issues. I have had non-tuned related issues, the typical stuff, injectors, plugs and coils, but nothing with the kit itself.

Let us know about your specific issues, as it could be something not related to the FF kit itself.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #13
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
typical Vishnu style. Pretty soon there will be FlexFuel rev2 kit out and your existing hardware will be left buggy and unsupported.
      07-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
What are your issues? Do you have the inline pump as well? I have been running this kit since the first it was released without issues. I have had non-tuned related issues, the typical stuff, injectors, plugs and coils, but nothing with the kit itself.

Let us know about your specific issues, as it could be something not related to the FF kit itself.
Joec, my main issue is that there are no upped turbo maps with or without meth. I'm a long term and happy user of Vishnu parts but having a 1000 dollar part useless in the car is a bit much for months... :-)
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My attempts to contact support have gone unanswered for months, as well. I am not even sure how my Procede is configured to accept flex fuel sensor data. So, if something goes wrong, I fear that I might be hosed.

My current problem arises from the "underboost" DME code upon partial sustained throttle at highway speeds. This has thrown the error for 4th gear through 6th gear.

I would love it to be fixed, but I must say that I have a bit of a sinking feeling that it will not be fixed. I do not want to revert back to stock, but I feel that my options are dwindling. This is the only true flex fuel option that is offered, as far as I know. It works 80% fantastically. I just would like to straighten out the remaining 20% to have a truly reliable kit.

I'll put an aside here: FFTEC has done an amazing job with everything they have done, and my interactions with them have been excellent. Their clutch install was top notch and their installation of the Flex Fuel kit is holding up perfectly, hardware-wise.

I would just love to get a more sustained stream of information regarding updates to our Flex Fuel kits. Even if there are bumps along the way and negative information regarding problems encountered in development. I'm fine with that. It's still information, and that is what I am lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:25 AM   #16
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

I'm running the flexfuel kit and have been since it came out, there were some issues but since testing shiv's new firmware, I have had zero issues with the kit, perfect cold starts on straight e85, as well as no cutting out up top. I put down 446whp and 503wtq on straight e85 with the new firmware, no meth. I believe shiv was testing the firmware on JoeC's car before he was going to release it to everyone. I believe he has his hands tied up at the moment helping with the OpenFlash maps.

For everyone who has the kit, if you want to sell it, go right ahead, but I'm telling you that the new firmware is worth waiting for, my car on e85 runs as smooth as it does on pump gas, with straight mixes. I'm sorry that there has been this long of a wait, but the end result is promising, you can take my word or leave it.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
I'm running the flexfuel kit and have been since it came out, there were some issues but since testing shiv's new firmware, I have had zero issues with the kit, perfect cold starts on straight e85, as well as no cutting out up top. I put down 446whp and 503wtq on straight e85 with the new firmware, no meth. I believe shiv was testing the firmware on JoeC's car before he was going to release it to everyone. I believe he has his hands tied up at the moment helping with the OpenFlash maps.

For everyone who has the kit, if you want to sell it, go right ahead, but I'm telling you that the new firmware is worth waiting for, my car on e85 runs as smooth as it does on pump gas, with straight mixes. I'm sorry that there has been this long of a wait, but the end result is promising, you can take my word or leave it.
That is certainly promising information. For the sake of convenience, I have no plans on uninstalling it. Like I said, it works 80% great. Everything you mention no longer getting is precisely what I am still getting. I am on new plugs and coils now, though. I believe the injectors also got replaced pretty recently.

Just out of curiosity: what other mods do you have? The only other piece of hardware I plan on getting is an intercooler, but that's about it. For other parts of the engine, I definitely want to install the factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #18
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Quote:

I wonder if they'll give me this new firmware if I bring my car in to get my FF kit installed. It's been sitting in my room for the past few months.

I'll also need their flash and I guess inline pump?

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When the kit works, it is truly relentless! I also drive a friend's 996 turbo on an almost daily basis and I can categorically say that the 335i is faster in a straight line. (emphasis on straight line, the 996 turbo eats through corners scarily fast)

I understand the need to perfect beta maps before releasing them to public. It would just be great to know what the progress is. I do not know when, exactly, the OpenFlash development started, but, from the perspective of a commoner forum user, I get the sense that an older partly-finished project was put on hold for a newer project. This is certainly not necessarily reality, though! It's just the impression I get. I would love for this to not be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhvinn View Post
You'll need a flash to remove the software fueling restrictions (this is the extent of my knowledge). Unless you are planning on running tons of horsepower on pure E85 (500 wheel horsepower or so?), then the upgraded low pressure fuel pump should not be necessary. I am only running a little over 400 at the wheels, so I have not needed a fuel pump upgrade. AFAIK replacing the stock fuel pump with a Walbro E85 pump (400 liters per hour?) should be fine. I have heard rumors of the Walbro having a short lifespan, though. I have no idea how true those rumors are.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #20
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio
Quote:

That is certainly promising information. For the sake of convenience, I have no plans on uninstalling it. Like I said, it works 80% great. Everything you mention no longer getting is precisely what I am still getting. I am on new plugs and coils now, though. I believe the injectors also got replaced pretty recently.

Just out of curiosity: what other mods do you have? The only other piece of hardware I plan on getting is an intercooler, but that's about it. For other parts of the engine, I definitely want to install the factory oil cooler.
My mods are DCI, AR 3" DPs, procede 2.5, procedeflash, inline booster pump, stock intercooler, stock CP, and stock DV's at the moment. I plan on upgrading the intercooler and charge pipe soon.

I was having the 30FF code at partial throttle in 4th before the new firmware, but it seems it had disappeared for the time being.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #21
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhvinn
Quote:

I wonder if they'll give me this new firmware if I bring my car in to get my FF kit installed. It's been sitting in my room for the past few months.

You will need the flash, also if you plan on running straight e85 or stronger mixes than ~E50 you'll want to upgrade your lpfp, I suggest the Vishnu/fftec inline booster pump, as I have had zero issues with it since it's install about 8 months ago. It takes away the headache of having to measure out mixes.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
You will need the flash, also if you plan on running straight e85 or stronger mixes than ~E50 you'll want to upgrade your lpfp, I suggest the Vishnu/fftec inline booster pump, as I have had zero issues with it since it's install about 8 months ago. It takes away the headache of having to measure out mixes.
2nd on the inline pump. Yes it costs A LOT More than the DIY Walbro jobs, but it works and reliable. It's worth it to me as I don't have the time or patience for fuel pump failures when I am out and about.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0