E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Make your choice early in your ownership

05-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
Mythos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe

Make your choice early in your ownership

Clear bra the entire front end (yeah, it ain't cheap, mine was $1400 for Xpel)

OR

join the others here who are complaining/asking how-to fix little dings, chips, scratches, headlight covers, mirror chips, etc...

I would post a photo, but you cannot tell it is even on it...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

I bought a 15' x 6" roll of XPEL for around $40 and made my own clear bra. Still have tons left for my phones or whatever else I want to protect. Did my mirrors too
      05-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
ajaye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi SGM

This is good advice.

That seems a bit pricey unless you went all the way back to the windshield/front doors? My mom just bought a brand new Murano and splurged for the fully loaded top-trim model. I convinced my dad to get at least the front bumper and headlights done, he ended up going back 1/3 of the hood fenders + mirrors for a little more than 1/2 that price. The Xpel is an interesting product, I'm curious to see how well the self leveling/self healing works.

Now if I could just get my dad to listen to me about car washing/paint care...I pulled up to take him to drop the Murano off to get this installed and see he's drying off the car with an old bath towel.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
andysat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

Does it chip/discolour?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #5
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysat
Does it chip/discolour?
Nope!

I've had it on my car for 5 years now.
      05-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

Seriously?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
I bought a 15' x 6" roll of XPEL for around $40 and made my own clear bra. Still have tons left for my phones or whatever else I want to protect. Did my mirrors too
Where the heck did you buy it? Also, it requires some very special cleaning and something to make sure it adheres to the car.

I had it done to my previous car, a 2006 330xi, and it cost me close to $900 back in 2006 (bought it new). I recently bought a 2011 335i and would like to have this done again, but if I can do this as a DIY project and save a ton, that would be great.

I found some websites that sell custom fit pieces so you simply enter your car info and they send you the pieces that you install yourself. One wanted @ $300 just for the bumper kit, although there are a lot of pieces. They also mention that the bumper kit installation had the highest level of difficulty.

I'm also curious about what you used to clean the surface and also to make the X-Pel adhere to the car. I recall the installing using some sort of product in a spray bottle, but it was a long, long time ago.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Swish; 05-29-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had it on my last car for 9 years before selling it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysat View Post
Does it chip/discolour?
...and it still looked good. I think the warranty on it lasted 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Where the heck did you buy it? Also, it requires some very special cleaning and something to make sure it adheres to the car.

I had it done to my previous car, a 2006 330xi, and it cost me close to $900 back in 2006 (bought it new). I recently bought a 2011 335i and would like to have this done again, but if I can do this as a DIY project and save a ton, that would be great.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated!
First off to buy rolls of XPel you simply go to their site and click the "Bulk Protection Film" link. I bought a 6" wide roll but they offer rolls up to 60" wide!

They even give you the instructions under their Support menu!

I used their instructions to learn how to make it adhere properly but the film itself was cut to my own specs. I used a squeegee and also an old credit card. Just be generous with the solution, don't worry it will evaporate!

How did I do that? Well I didn't have fancy CAD software but I did have some newspaper . I simply made cutouts with newspaper (or whatever you want), got them to where I wanted, then used them to cut the pattern in the roll of XPel.

It's not as precise as an actual kit, but I feel the coverage I have is more than adequate. It's also nice to be able to cover any random spot on your car ( I did my gas lid since the attendants in NJ are not gentle ). I SHOULD have done the lower lip on my bumper but apparently I had a laps of judgement ( I got impatient ). I keep telling myself that I'll put some near the wheel wells since dirt loves accumulating there but I never get around to it

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
      05-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting. I am confused about one comment;

Quote:
First off to buy rolls of XPel you simply go to their site and click the "Bulk Protection Film" link. I bought a 6" wide roll but they offer rolls up to 60" wide!

I used their instructions to learn how to make it adhere properly but the film itself was cut to my own specs. I used a squeegee and also an old credit card. Just be generous with the solution, don't worry it will evaporate!

How did I do that? Well I didn't have fancy CAD software but I did have some newspaper . I simply made cutouts with newspaper (or whatever you want), got them to where I wanted, then used them to cut the pattern in the roll of XPel.

It's not as precise as an actual kit, but I feel the coverage I have is more than adequate. It's also nice to be able to cover any random spot on your car ( I did my gas lid since the attendants in NJ are not gentle ). I SHOULD have done the lower lip on my bumper but apparently I had a laps of judgement ( I got impatient ). I keep telling myself that I'll put some near the wheel wells since dirt loves accumulating there but I never get around to it

You said you had the film cut 'to my own specs' then go on to say that you used newspaper to make a template before cutting the film. Those statements sound contradictory. Could you please explain?

Also, a 6" wide roll will not give proper coverage for the hood. I think the original installation on the hood was at least 30" wide, if not more, so it came nearly half way up the hood. That's where most of the stone damage is going to occur, along with the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish
Quote:

You said you had the film cut 'to my own specs' then go on to say that you used newspaper to make a template before cutting the film. Those statements sound contradictory. Could you please explain?

Also, a 6" wide roll will not give proper coverage for the hood. I think the original installation on the hood was at least 30" wide, if not more, so it came nearly half way up the hood. That's where most of the stone damage is going to occur, along with the front bumper.
What I meant was I literally cut it to my own specs by hand. I see how that sounded confusing.

Yeah I could have gone wider but honestly I don't have any chip problems that high up.
      05-31-2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess I need to measure my bumper...

Quote:
What I meant was I literally cut it to my own specs by hand. I see how that sounded confusing.

Yeah I could have gone wider but honestly I don't have any chip problems that high up.
...to find the widest part as I'm pretty sure 12" won't do it. I think I want at least 18" wide on the hood too.

Thanks for your help and advice!
Appreciate 0