E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E92 Corner Orange Running Light Delete Done! Video

04-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #111
hasrice
MOAR POWERRRR
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I just wanted to update this to let everyone know that my bulb out error ended up being from one of my tail light bulbs. Apparently that is another problem with E92's that BMW has put a service bulletin up for. It had nothing to do with the parking light delete.
Can we get a link to this service bulletin?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #112
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i did this for an e92 M3
i am pretty sure this would also work for a regular E92
no cutting of wires or any visible wires in the engine bay
much cleaner look
How?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #113
Arustik1
HYEPWR
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhjs View Post
As you cut the wires, would it be possible to REVERSE this mod later?

Seems quite complicated.. Not so sure yet but definitely would like to do this mod.

Anyone with the mod done having any problems with this?
Its reversible...as far as problems, just do it and do it right (make sure you get good resistors, make good connections, etc.) Half-ass it and you'll have problems.
2001 M5 Jet Black / Black
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #114
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

Could someone post two pictures showing where to feed the wires on the drivers and passenger side? I'm having a hard time finding the entry points from the engine compartment.
      07-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #115
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Could someone post two pictures showing where to feed the wires on the drivers and passenger side? I'm having a hard time finding the entry points from the engine compartment.
If you look in the engine compartment above both wheels you will see a bundle of wires routed and tied down. These cables are attached to the top side of a metal section; you will have to feed your draw wire underneath that metal piece (and above the plastic wheel well liner) to the sidemarker.

After attempting to guide the draw wire to the passenger's side marker for 5 minutes, I decided to remove the three screws that hold the plastic wheel well liner in place. This allowed me to create an opening between the front quarter panel and the wheel well liner above the wheel. I fed the draw wire first from the engine compartment to the opening and then to the sidemarker. The washer fluid tank makes it much more difficult to push the draw wire through on the passenger side. I would recommend pulling the wires through on both sides before cutting any wires.

MANY THANKS TO ALEX FOR POSTING THIS! This mod allowed me to pass the technical inspection in Poland (on my imported 335i) without any other modifications to the front lamps.

FYI, the LED load equalizers are more commonly referred to as heatsink resistors. There are many vendors that sell these online.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #116
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol View Post
FYI, the LED load equalizers are more commonly referred to as heatsink resistors. There are many vendors that sell these online.
Thanks for the thorough description. I am in fact having difficulties finding a heatsink with 15-25 ohm. Closest ones I found are either 10 ohm or 47 ohm. Would the 47 ohm work or is it too high?
      07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #117
interpol
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: passively aggressive.
Location: probably in a hotel thousands of miles away from home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmaas View Post
Thanks for the thorough description. I am in fact having difficulties finding a heatsink with 15-25 ohm. Closest ones I found are either 10 ohm or 47 ohm. Would the 47 ohm work or is it too high?
I found plenty of German online electronic stores that sell 25W 15 Ohm heatsink resistors by typing the following into Google: "25W 0R15 site:.de".

For example:

http://www.rufenach24.de/index.php?l...artnr=11500020

http://www.tn-electronics.de/product...ducts_id/21822

http://darisusgmbh.de/shop/product_i...31b3575d938471

I also should've mentioned that the plastic wheel well liner is not held in by just three screws. I removed the three that are the closest to the top and this was enough for me. After removing the screws, I had to forcefully separate the liner from the panel to create an opening between the two. As someone previously mentioned, those having a very difficult time with this part of the install can remove the front wheels and then the entire plastic liner; this will give you unobstructed access to the sidemarker area and the engine bay.

Removing the sidemarkers should not require any screwdrivers either. Just push the sidemarker towards the rear end of the car and then pull the opposite (front) side away from the panel.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #118
xxvietboizxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

I have a question! By cutting the wires, will it void my warranty?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #119
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i just did this mod. and it looks great!

i found a better place to mount the resistor on the M3. im not sure however if it would work on a regular E90/92

i just loosened the three bolts on top of the strut tower so that i could wedge in the little tab on the resistor and tightened everything back down. this way you don't have to drill anything
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #120
alex310
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe/M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
i just did this mod. and it looks great!

i found a better place to mount the resistor on the M3. im not sure however if it would work on a regular E90/92

i just loosened the three bolts on top of the strut tower so that i could wedge in the little tab on the resistor and tightened everything back down. this way you don't have to drill anything
Very nice, you can also use Metal Zip ties and I usually zip tie it to the sway bar. Good find!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #121
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Here's what it looks like with 6K low beams and 8K HID angels
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #122
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpol View Post
I found plenty of German online electronic stores that sell 25W 15 Ohm heatsink resistors by typing the following into Google: "25W 0R15 site:.de".
Searching with 0R15 will only get me resistors with 0,15 Ohm, doubt those are usable. But I'm sure they also sell some with 15 Ohm. Thanks for the links
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #123
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Hi all,

I've seen this mod too available for the E46 and it was exactly the same. Using a resistor instead of the corner bulb to avoid the error, and taping the sidemarker for the blinker. It worked well in the E46 just as in this case BUT after a while the light control module (LCM) started to fail and fry. This module in the E46 is located where the headlights switch is, you can do a search on this issue at E46fanatics.com.

The problem is that the current used to drive the corner bulb is coming from the sidemarker with the mod so basically that circuit is feeding a lot more load than intended. Overtime this "fried" the LCM, electronic components handling the sidemarker circuit, and required an expensive fix from the dealer. For some people it happened a few months after doing the mod. I'm not trying to scare people about this, I want to do the mod myself too, so I just wanted to ask about it. The "correct" way to mod it in the E46 and even in this case would be to use a relay so that little or no current is been drawn from the sidemarker circuit. Maybe the LCM is better designed in the E92 and can handle the extra load without any problems? Has anyone with this mod gotten any issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #124
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
It's much easier to code you car and switch off those orange lights...
      01-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #125
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ Yeah, it's computer controlled so it can deactivated by programming it which would be the best. But it's not legal in the US so dealers won't do it...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #126
punky8d
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: you crazy..

Garage List
Unhappy

So, what now?? Is it safe or no??
I just bought a resistor and it's suppose to arrive today..
Actually I'm wondering.. I did cut off my amber LEDs like a month back. Taped it pretty good.. Even chose a high heat rating electrical tape..
For several weeks I didn't have any lamp error displays but right around last week I just had one.. I checked all bulbs on my tail light. Viewed each one of them under a desk lamp just to really make sure.. And everything's fine.. I don't understand.. Everything on the headlight end is fine.. So, Help?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #127
hasrice
MOAR POWERRRR
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
^ Yeah, it's computer controlled so it can deactivated by programming it which would be the best. But it's not legal in the US so dealers won't do it...
Couldn't the programming be done at an enthusiast shop instead? The idea of cutting wires on a bmw makes me cringe.
      01-08-2010, 01:17 PM   #128
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ I have no idea about that. I would think so but I don't think it can be done with a standard scanner/programmer, it would have to be with the one they have at the dealers which is very expensive.

Maybe other people here from Europe can tell us if they have the corner lights on with low beams always?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #129
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel View Post
Maybe other people here from Europe can tell us if they have the corner lights on with low beams always?
Euro Spec cars do not have the Orange LED or the signal running light. Their headlights look like what this mod does to the US Spec headlights.
      01-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #130
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Can't we just get white signal bulbs???
      01-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #131
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I'm having trouble finding a safe spot for the resistor on the passenger side. Unfortunately the area isn't as free as the driver's side. For the ones that did this mod, where did you place the resistor?
      01-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #132
punky8d
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: you crazy..

Garage List
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky8d View Post
So, what now?? Is it safe or no??
I just bought a resistor and it's suppose to arrive today..
Actually I'm wondering.. I did cut off my amber LEDs like a month back. Taped it pretty good.. Even chose a high heat rating electrical tape..
For several weeks I didn't have any lamp error displays but right around last week I just had one.. I checked all bulbs on my tail light. Viewed each one of them under a desk lamp just to really make sure.. And everything's fine.. I don't understand.. Everything on the headlight end is fine.. So, Help?
Nevermind.. It's my license plate led lamp..
Just finished it.. Yey..

I think I need the LED H8 bulbs because it's not that bright white.. Picture looks good though.. What do you guys think about the LED H8 bulbs? is it good?? THanks..

Driver Side

Passenger Side
Appreciate 0