E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Factory AE turned yellow...rage incoming. suggestions?

08-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
lilg1993
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335is

Garage List
Angry Factory AE turned yellow...rage incoming. suggestions?

So back in May my car was involved in a minor front end collision which required the passenger side headlight housing (and all the components inside) to be replaced.

sometime around the first week of June, the outer AE of this headlight turned a dim yellow/amber color, similar to non-LCI factory AE's. it looks awful. its kind of embarrassing to drive around with tbh, but I have been busy lately and too lazy to have it taken care of.

yesterday, I called a BMW center asking them if it is covered by the CPO warranty. the SA's answer to me was "if it is a bulb, it is not covered, but modules are covered". with the understanding that modules light up the AE's on LCI models, I asked him to confirm that if the problem was traced to a specific part (p# 63117263051) whether it would be covered or not. he placed me on hold, saying he was going to check with his warranty administrator. when he came back, he confirmed that this part would be covered, so i took it in this morning

he calls me up this afternoon, says that it is this "bulb" that lights up the AE's, and is therefore not covered by the warranty. tells me the part costs $344.59, they need 3 hours to do it (because they need to take apart the headlight housing) @ $155/hour. so I went from paying a $50 deductible for a warranty repair to $809.59+tax, all for a lightbulb that is smaller than your pinky nail

I said I would call the shop who replaced the headlight back in May and see if they would do it for me because I am not about to pay BMW all this money, but first asked him to confirm which p# it was, so I could maybe source it myself, or at least tell the mechanic at the other shop. he tells me it is p# 63117263051...the exact same part that he told me the day before would be covered. when I ask about this, he claims that I read him a different p# yesterday (p# 63117263052), which is complete horse shit

so whats the most ridiculous part about this whole situation you ask? the fact that BMW is trying to classify this part as a light bulb and not a module. this part is literally less than 5% light bulb and 95% aluminum. i likened it to having a rolex with a fully integrated built in light, but telling me that if the light goes out, it is considered a bulb and therefore not warrantied. absolute fucking joke. and to top it off, I will have to pay them a $155 diag fee when I pickup my car later...all for an issue that I was spot on with the entire time and was told would be covered

does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? call up BMW NA and scream at them about how utterly ridiculous it is to classify this as a light bulb maybe? should I ask the shop that originally replaced the light to pay my diag fee, and then replace my headlight housing free of charge (get it warrantied by whoever they bought it from)?

TLDR:
  • AE turned ugly
  • knew which part is bad, confirmed with SA at dealer that it is covered by CPO
  • SA comes back and says part is not covered by CPO; now want $900+ as opposed to just $50 deductible
  • part is so obviously a module and not a bulb that it should be covered (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/63117263051/)
  • dealer fucked me
Attached Images

'07 E93 335i 6AT, Platinum Bronze Metallic/Cream Beige [SOLD]

Last edited by lilg1993; 08-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: link to part; picture
Appreciate 0