E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Wagon Build Log

07-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #67
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
What do you estimate your final bill to be for your build?
Which "build" or "builds" are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #68
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Which "build" or "builds" are you referring to?
Maybe you are also working on another project, but I am referring to you wagon. How much do you estimate that you will have into the full build of your car once complete?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #69
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you are also working on another project, but I am referring to you wagon. How much do you estimate that you will have into the full build of your car once complete?
Gotcha, wasn't sure if you were referring to one of the projects/build on the wagon.

Build as a whole? Hmmmmmmmmmm tough one to answer.
When I originally got the E61 I lived in an apartment complex and outsourced the coilover and M5 bumper/fender installs but ever since then I have had garage space and did all the work myself so the money I saved on labor was put towards tools and more mods.

I have had decent luck getting my hands on good deals and also plucking used M5 parts at the right time so conversions like the 6AT-6MT which end up costing people a few thousand in parts and a few more in labor is only end up being maybe $2,500 total when it is all said and done (that includes $1,500 SMFW and clutch). Full M5 drivetrain conversion is about $1,000.

Even with all the deals and all the labor saved I still repair/upgrade/mod EVERYTHING and it does add up, without grabbing a calculator I would guess that I have spent maybe $12,000-$15,000 on the wagon so far.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #70
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Gotcha, wasn't sure if you were referring to one of the projects/build on the wagon.

Build as a whole? Hmmmmmmmmmm tough one to answer.
When I originally got the E61 I lived in an apartment complex and outsourced the coilover and M5 bumper/fender installs but ever since then I have had garage space and did all the work myself so the money I saved on labor was put towards tools and more mods.

I have had decent luck getting my hands on good deals and also plucking used M5 parts at the right time so conversions like the 6AT-6MT which end up costing people a few thousand in parts and a few more in labor is only end up being maybe $2,500 total when it is all said and done (that includes $1,500 SMFW and clutch). Full M5 drivetrain conversion is about $1,000.

Even with all the deals and all the labor saved I still repair/upgrade/mod EVERYTHING and it does add up, without grabbing a calculator I would guess that I have spent maybe $12,000-$15,000 on the wagon so far.

Evan
I imagine that you will have a rock solid wagon when you get done. 12k to 15k isn't all that bad for what you have done.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #71
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Love this thread. Love your fearlessness and methodical approach to everything. Totally inspiring.

An old saying comes to mind every time I read your threads/posts... 'clean as you go, sign of a pro'.

Can't wait to see the motor rebuild, gearbox install and your solution to the brace/mount challenge. Totally rooting for the day you get to run through those gears, bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #72
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I imagine that you will have a rock solid wagon when you get done. 12k to 15k isn't all that bad for what you have done.
Agreed, it is "always" more than you want to spend but with each mod or project I seem to find killer deals, don't mind refurbishing items, and install everything myself so when it is all said and done my total investment is 1/2 or 1/3 of what it would otherwise be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stashtrey View Post
Love this thread. Love your fearlessness and methodical approach to everything. Totally inspiring.

An old saying comes to mind every time I read your threads/posts... 'clean as you go, sign of a pro'.

Can't wait to see the motor rebuild, gearbox install and your solution to the brace/mount challenge. Totally rooting for the day you get to run through those gears, bro!
Thank you, glad my work evoques that sort of response.

Evan
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #73
sloweste9x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E61 535XI, E92 335I (Sold)

Garage List
This is the coolest thread on e90post. Probs man, you are literally building my dream car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #74
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

While the motor was out I investigated swapping my non-M DSC pump for an E60 M5, nearly everything else on the car is M5 so it made sense. It looks like the M5 DSC has an additional input "accelerator" sensor and I didn't want to bother with integrating that but what I really wanted to do is get the ugly ABS/DSC pump, module, hardl lines, and wiring out of the engine bay

The non-M location behind the passenger headlight is a HUGE eyesore and the M5 location behind the driver wheel liner make a lot more sense is it is location directly below the master cylinder. removing unnecessary runs of lines and improve aesthetics? My kind of mod.

After some research it looks like all I would need is the M5 hydraulic lines, the brackets for the pump, and to extend my wiring harness. I will probably create a DIY of the full process for the E6X guys but here are some pics of the process thus far. I am trying to track down the remaining hydro lines I need as I don't feel like paying "new" prices. The brackets are on the way via $31 and eBay, and the wiring harness is complete after purchasing some wiring and spending an annoying amount of time soldering all the connections.

OEM location

So ugly

Draining fluid

Overdue

Front hard lines removed

Old mounts and ugly stuff

Grdinging

Much better

Oem wiring harness

Split

New conduit

Crazy eyes

Solder solder solder solder

1/2 done

Solder solder solder solder

New routing

Motor rebuild and assembled.

In she go

Up next is the 6MT and figuring out how I am going to solve the issue with the rear support.

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 08-10-2016 at 08:51 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2016, 07:53 AM   #75
mad1stgen
Master Wagon Builder
Rep
Drives: 2015 F wagon S55/6MT

Looks like some chromoly tubing and a welder are in your future. Just keep the driveline angles in check.
As you said before, there isn't much actual weight on a trans crossmember other than the rotational TQ.

This is really "building a car". None of that bolt on nonsense Congrats !
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #76
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

VERY impressive. Probably more detailed and concise than a lot of shops on the market.

Maybe I should have had you work on my E91 N54 swap. You've probably seen it sitting at Strassesport for a long time. Car is no longer there because of that.
      08-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #77
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad1stgen View Post
Looks like some chromoly tubing and a welder are in your future. Just keep the driveline angles in check.
As you said before, there isn't much actual weight on a trans crossmember other than the rotational TQ.

This is really "building a car". None of that bolt on nonsense Congrats !
Bolt-on would certainly be nice in some instances (like this trans support) but I understand how awesome and unique my wagon will be once done, I also enjoy problem solving like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
VERY impressive. Probably more detailed and concise than a lot of shops on the market.

Maybe I should have had you work on my E91 N54 swap. You've probably seen it sitting at Strassesport for a long time. Car is no longer there because of that.
Thanks for the kind words. I am glad the attention to detail comes across on the forums, for better or worse I nit pick and scrutinize everything. I remember your ride at Strasse, it seems like the shops that specialize in customization and modification get backed up easily. What is the current state of your wagon?

------------------------------------------------------

Engine is in, connected, oiled up, and coolant bled. Once my ********* get back from receiving their ceramic coating I can install them with my O2s and give the engine a crank. Long time coming, just under 5 months.

Below are some pictorial updates. They may not work in certain browsers or on your phone, I am sorry, Google flipped Picasa in favor for a "better" image storage system that doesn't display on all platforms, if anyone has info on how to resolve this, I am all ears. Thanks Google.

Enjoy,
Evan

Not all the Tredwear decals made it through the incident when my engine blew.

Found this in my rear tire. I might just leave it and roast the rear tires so I can upgrade from 275 to 285 now that I don't have to worry about F-R rolling diameters and keeping the AWD system happy. I could use some more meat out back. A 285 on the 19x11 rear should match the stretch of the 245 on the 9.5 up front. Symmetry is beauty.

Stay organized

"DIY"

Serpentine belt installed

TB still had some carnage in it

After

Charge pipe and BOV cleaned up

My wagon had an additional heat exchanger for both ATF and coolant. I took it apart to investigate the internals. Ports with green gaskets are for ATF the other (and another port located on the backside of the aluminum part) were for coolant.

The bottom coolant port had a spring tensioned valve but it doesn't appear to move and consequently have a thermostat function, not sure what the deal is.

To delete the ATF connections I cut off the hardlines.

Assembled some hardware to block off the ATF ports

ATF function deleted but coolant still flows through the additional (and very small) heat exchanger, cooling is always welcomed.

Old ATF cooling lines

Decided it was a good time to paint my intercooler so it hides behind my bumper; keep it subtle, keep it classy

The rear bracket on my power steering pump is AWD specific and I now have a RWD oil pan so I needed to "make it work."

I bored out the hole in the bracket about 5-6mm to the left to compensate for the offset, I them reused an old M10 bolt from a rear axle and used a stainless steel nut as my 10mm spacer. MAcGyver mod.

My 10mm spacer

VTT turbo outlets and intercooler installed

Up pipe, charge pipe, and manifold installed

Oil filled, coolant filled and bled; vac tanks and solenoids installed.

Last edited by ucsbwsr; 08-10-2016 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #78
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Picture links edited, they are small but should work on all platforms now.
Appreciate 1
JASE33526.00
      08-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #79
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 / F31 / E91

I completely understand customization shops get backed up, but it doesn't take THAT long. Ivan is a cool guy and I'm sure you may already know some back story so I'll leave it at that.

Anyways, starting from scratch and things are already moving quite fast. New donor car and motors should be swapped almost. Motor from donor car was almost out within 2 days of arriving. Week 1 is already making major progress. Car should hopefully be running within a month.

I actually contacted you on IG about headlights a month or 2 ago. Sorry I haven't emailed you but I wanted to get the actual car running before I did anything else.

Where are you located btw?
      08-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #80
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

The cleanest and meanest build I have ever seen and I thought I could never love a wagon, I'm glad I was wrong.

Keep doin the damn thang my man, this beast is awesome and seXXXy.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #81
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redEYEjedi View Post
I completely understand customization shops get backed up, but it doesn't take THAT long. Ivan is a cool guy and I'm sure you may already know some back story so I'll leave it at that.

Anyways, starting from scratch and things are already moving quite fast. New donor car and motors should be swapped almost. Motor from donor car was almost out within 2 days of arriving. Week 1 is already making major progress. Car should hopefully be running within a month.

I actually contacted you on IG about headlights a month or 2 ago. Sorry I haven't emailed you but I wanted to get the actual car running before I did anything else.

Where are you located btw?
I am in Huntington Beach. Glad to hear there is progress being made, "builds" in motion tend to stay in motion ....until you realize you forgot to order that one part. lol. Who is doing the work on your car now? Hope it all goes smoothly. It it just an engine swap or is there any other retrofits or swaps going on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMW335I View Post
The cleanest and meanest build I have ever seen and I thought I could never love a wagon, I'm glad I was wrong.

Keep doin the damn thang my man, this beast is awesome and seXXXy.
A cold heart for wagons, say it ain't so! Thanks for the kind words.

Evan

------------------------------

Mismatched heater hose on my oil catch can...

...now both Vibrant.

Intercooler installed

Found the M6/M5 ABS/DSC pump brackets I needed on eBay, after a cleaning they look brand new.

Unfortunately 1/3 mounting holes did not align, a drill quickly took care of that.

Mounted

Pump mounted. I am really pleased with how clean it came out. Now all I need are the M5 hard lines and the relocation is complete.

The original 335i transmission output flange

1/2" breaker bar with some adapters and a BIG socket

Nut off

Puller

LEFT: M5 RIGHT: 335i

Replacing rear output seal

Chains, 3/8 extensions, and a breaker bar were my counterhold while torquing to 125lb/ft

M5 output flange installed

M5 guibo and hardware installed

Test fitting and measuring M5 driveshaft

Test fitting shift arm

Transmission support stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #82
BMDoublYou
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335xi / 08 E82 128i

Man this build really took off, love all the work you are doing man! Im just going to go ahead and say if anything happens to this n54 *knock on wood*, You should just go ahead and slap the v10 in there and make the M5 wagon we all wish we had!

On a side note, what did you use to clean your steering wheel up, I need to find a product to clean my used m3 wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 09:42 PM   #83
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Question. Will crazy eyes be able to ride in the beast? BTW, what is your secret to getting an Aussie dog to sit still?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #84
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDoublYou View Post
Man this build really took off, love all the work you are doing man! Im just going to go ahead and say if anything happens to this n54 *knock on wood*, You should just go ahead and slap the v10 in there and make the M5 wagon we all wish we had!

On a side note, what did you use to clean your steering wheel up, I need to find a product to clean my used m3 wheel
A leather cleaner, a nice horse-hair brush, a soft tooth brush, and a quality microfiber towel will clean leather surfaces up very nicely. Use the toothbrush for the M stitching and the horse hair brush to agitate everything else, wipe with microfiber towel until you don't see any more dirt coming off.

Things have really picked up once getting the engine rebuilt/refreshed and thankfully, for the mostpart, I have been on top of pre ordering the parts I need so there are no major setbacks, I can just plow forward.

No S85 for me, I would only put that in a track car. "Special?" yes. makes a great noise? Yes. BUT... 100 lbs heavier than N54, absolutely no cajones (torque), gas guzzler. I would go insane having to rev an engine out to extract performance in a daily driven vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
Question. Will crazy eyes be able to ride in the beast? BTW, what is your secret to getting an Aussie dog to sit still?
Annie the Aussie get the special privilege of riding along, I take great pridfe and care of my vehicle but I also love to use the wagon's utility and transporting dogs is one of those activities. She likes going fast, so much so that I have thought about constructing a support system where: while standing in the rear seat with her head between the front captain chairs, she could wear a harness that has straps which run to the rear convenience handles in the headliner. She would be totally stabilized from lateral G forces, all she would have to do is stand and the harness would take care of the rest.

Evan
Appreciate 1
JASE33526.00
      08-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #85
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

I'm glad this build is still going strong. You see too many threads were people blow and engine and say they are going to do something big, but end up disappearing off of the forums. Keep up the awesome work, it's inspiring
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #86
SilverStreak18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 335i Coupe

Quote:
Annie the Aussie get the special privilege of riding along, I take great pridfe and care of my vehicle but I also love to use the wagon's utility and transporting dogs is one of those activities. She likes going fast, so much so that I have thought about constructing a support system where: while standing in the rear seat with her head between the front captain chairs, she could wear a harness that has straps which run to the rear convenience handles in the headliner. She would be totally stabilized from lateral G forces, all she would have to do is stand and the harness would take care of the rest.

Evan
It's awesome that your dog likes going fast, and even more awesome that you're seriously considering making her own racing harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #87
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman View Post
I'm glad this build is still going strong. You see too many threads were people blow and engine and say they are going to do something big, but end up disappearing off of the forums. Keep up the awesome work, it's inspiring
Thanks for the kind words. It is easy to get overwhelmed with a build, there is so much to do, so much to learn, so much that goes wrong, but in the end it will all be worth it. The last week of the build has been really rewarding as the scope of work I need to do narrows and components/systems start to come together as planned, quite satisfying.

--------------------------------------------------

Picked up some intake ducting from an E60 M5. Chances are good the oem unit flows better than the ducting I made out of aluminum flashing so I will run this but probably fabricate a new and improved scoop. The rear portion of the ducting bolts to the chassis in the oem location, nice.

My dwnpipes and modded RB heat shield are back from receiving their ceramic coating.

Before

After

The engine bay is looking nice and clean with that DSC pump relocated and the new heat shield. CLEAN!

Trans out ...again. Good view of the M5 output flange and guibo.

Minor rust removed frank crank flange with a dremel

MFactory single mass chromoly flywheel

My counter hold as I torque the flywheel

...in the off chance you were wondering about possible damage.

Friction disc

Spec 3+ clutch

New pivot for the throw out fork
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #88
SilverStreak18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 SGM 335i Coupe

Documented with pics so well..could make this a DIY for just about anything lol
Appreciate 0