E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Several codes suggesting bad waterpump, question about one other

04-16-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Several codes suggesting bad waterpump, question about one other

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I was headed into work and almost immediately after departure the fans started working overtime. You could only really hear it at a stop so I pulled into a car wash where I turned it off and back on. The fan took a moment to fully return to stop upon shutting the car down, and turned back on almost immediately after turning the car back on.

Without my tablet on me I proceeded down the road where I got a coolant light and pulled over to call it quits and have it towed. Temperatures on the oil gauge never went past the middle mark (or even a quarter while driving) but when the key was inserted and the car was all but started the temp would spike but settle down to a very reasonably temperature.

I get home and get the tablet to run carly on it and get:

electric coolant pump, shut down
Code: 002E82
electric coolant pump, speed deviation
Code: 002E81

So I did a little research, save and email my codes to myself and clear the car.. what I noticed is that when I started the car to get into neutral and after the codes were cleared that the fans didn't run hard.

Approx 40 min later I start the car to see if the fans run as they did earlier, and they do so, I'm guessing definitely thermostat and probably the infamous waterpump. I've got this extra code "Thermal oil level sensor signal implausible signal Code: 002F9E" it seems hot coolant could trigger that?

Thoughts? go ahead and order the waterpump/thermostat? thanks for your time.
      04-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Definitely order a waterpump and thermostat asap.
Appreciate 1
b1mmr319.00
      04-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #3
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Definitely order a waterpump and thermostat asap.
thank you. it was kind of annoying at first when it stopped doing it, but there was an odd form of relief when it started again. like come on now - I want this 500 dollars to be worth it...
      04-16-2017, 10:52 PM   #4
b1mmr
Major
Rep

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Electric...RYXQlc&vxp=mtr

reputable enough?
      04-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Despite the headaches, the nice thing about an electric water pump is being notified electronically when an issue occurs, making it less likely that you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere by a failed component.

It also makes it easier to diagnose cooling system issues.
      04-16-2017, 11:14 PM   #6
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Despite the headaches, the nice thing about an electric water pump is being notified electronically when an issue occurs, making it less likely that you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere by a failed component.

very valid points, it's just a shame that they can't be made for less $$.
      04-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #7
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Not that it is needed.. but thought I'd leave this here

https://instagram.com/p/BS-TadBlP2b/

Immediate fans on start up until shut down
      04-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

I'll make you feel better. At least you weren't stranded far away like many of us. Here's my thread of everyone being towed, mostly due to waterpumps

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047513
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 12:21 AM   #9
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'll make you feel better. At least you weren't stranded far away like many of us. Here's my thread of everyone being towed, mostly due to waterpumps

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047513
Haha it does make me feel a bit better.. I knew it was a common issue but joining the club is another level of wow.

Added my pic lol.
      04-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

The 2E81 code is the smoking gun for the water pump. The fan is a good indication, but when you see the code it's definitely time to replace it. The fan will stay on while that code is in memory, so it sounds like normal behavior.

That auction is probably fine since it's OEM, but I usually recommend buying this kit:https://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-E...7632426kit.htm

It includes the coolant, so the total price is just very slightly higher but you know it's from a reputable source. This site is the cheapest I've found.
Appreciate 1
b1mmr319.00
      04-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #11
SteveW928
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi Jet Black

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Help me understand how this is better, though... it seems to be what strands a lot of BMW owners. (Whereas a non-electric pump usually starts showing other signs, afaik, and you can limp the vehicle along more successfully, correct?).

I say this as someone considering buying one, and am more than a bit worried about being stranded hundreds of miles from service, or worse (as I live in northern BC).

How much notice do most people get before it outright fails?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #12
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW928 View Post
Quote:

Help me understand how this is better, though... it seems to be what strands a lot of BMW owners. (Whereas a non-electric pump usually starts showing other signs, afaik, and you can limp the vehicle along more successfully, correct?).

I say this as someone considering buying one, and am more than a bit worried about being stranded hundreds of miles from service, or worse (as I live in northern BC).

I had no notice. I recommend to everyone locally to get BCAA. Surely they must have a truck that can get to you within a couple hours.
I have used them more times than I can even remember now and I always feel safe knowing I can call them.
Appreciate 1
b1mmr319.00
      04-17-2017, 02:23 AM   #13
SteveW928
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I had no notice. I recommend to everyone locally to get BCAA. Surely they must have a truck that can get to you within a couple hours.
I have used them more times than I can even remember now and I always feel safe knowing I can call them.
Thanks, I'll have to look into BCAA if we get one (looking at used 330xi). Still, no one really wants to break down... wait hours... especially in the winter. I guess the water pump/thermostat is just something I'd do every 50k miles, or at least before a trip if it were getting there.

I was just not understanding how it would be considered better... or maybe there were long warning signs or something. (But, that wasn't the impression I was getting from my research, so far.)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #14
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what bcaa is but I'm not local either, if it's roadside assistance, then everyone here uses AAA or a built in policy on their insurance (like I did today). No excuse for not having it either the way I see it.. I had them tow me home and I was practically down the road.

In all fairness, Steve, the fans told me within 75 feet of my own house that I shouldn't be driving the car but it didn't stop me. Now I know what to look for (watch my clip). I'm just glad I had enough sense to pull over before a red indicator and inevitably limp mode. So said and done I made it 8 miles give or take. Obviously everyone's experiences are different but without digital warnings you may run the car until irreversible damage has been done.

Sorry for any poorly constructed sentences, I just got off work and am exhausted.
      04-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
SteveW928
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1mmr View Post
I'm not sure what bcaa is but I'm not local either, if it's roadside assistance, then everyone here uses AAA or a built in policy on their insurance (like I did today). No excuse for not having it either the way I see it.. I had them tow me home and I was practically down the road.

In all fairness, Steve, the fans told me within 75 feet of my own house that I shouldn't be driving the car but it didn't stop me. Now I know what to look for (watch my clip). I'm just glad I had enough sense to pull over before a red indicator and inevitably limp mode. So said and done I made it 8 miles give or take. Obviously everyone's experiences are different but without digital warnings you may run the car until irreversible damage has been done.

Sorry for any poorly constructed sentences, I just got off work and am exhausted.
I think BCAA is pretty much *A*AA but for BC instead of A. But, good point in checking what is already included with various memberships, or the insurance policy already.

Yea, I don't think I'd worry so much about it if I were driving near home. The problem is more that up here, if traveling between cities, you can be w/o cell coverage for pretty big stretches and/or quite a long way from service. So, even if you could get a call through to them, it might be many hours (I'd guess) until help arrives.

Thanks for the video though, I've seen a few others like it. The fan coming on when it typically wouldn't be seems a sign some get... though it's not clear that's always the case, nor as you point out, how long it means you have.

I'll have to do a bit more research into how effective the cans of goo are to get one out of emergency situations.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #16
Jesda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 N52 78k

Quote:

That's a good point.

It would certainly help if every E9x had a temp gauge and codes for water pump issues appeared without having to use a BMW scan tool.
      04-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #17
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

There's sometimes weeping from a mechanical pump, but 90% of the time it fails outright and strands you.

There seem to be more signs the electric pumps are failing, but it's more or less the same.

For those of us with N52s the electric pump seems to be more reliable than the e36/46 generation mechanical pumps.
Appreciate 1
bimmette6453.50
      04-17-2017, 06:15 PM   #18
SteveW928
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
For those of us with N52s the electric pump seems to be more reliable than the e36/46 generation mechanical pumps.
That's good to hear. Yes, the more I read, the more the numbers are all over the place... from 40k to 140k+.

Something seems up though, as I don't recall changing on in my previous cars, and certainly never have been stranded by one. Maybe I just got lucky... but there seem a lot of reports of them going (and stranding) BMWs. Maybe it's more the forum effect (i.e.: the people w/o problems never join and post).

I remember when we bought out Jetta TDI, I joined the forums and was quite scared by all the reports of the HPFP going and sometimes doing a LOT of damage with it. I very carefully kept every diesel receipt, as many thought the problem might be related to a weakness + bad fuel. Anyway... nothing ever happened and there are TDI Jettas *everywhere* up here where I live (and few broken down).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #19
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
That's good to hear. Yes, the more I read, the more the numbers are all over the place... from 40k to 140k+.

Something seems up though, as I don't recall changing on in my previous cars, and certainly never have been stranded by one. Maybe I just got lucky... but there seem a lot of reports of them going (and stranding) BMWs. Maybe it's more the forum effect (i.e.: the people w/o problems never join and post).

I remember when we bought out Jetta TDI, I joined the forums and was quite scared by all the reports of the HPFP going and sometimes doing a LOT of damage with it. I very carefully kept every diesel receipt, as many thought the problem might be related to a weakness + bad fuel. Anyway... nothing ever happened and there are TDI Jettas *everywhere* up here where I live (and few broken down).
Definitely some forum hype involved, I agree. Conservative average seems to be about 100k for the N52 electric pump.

I only had my E36 strand my once...water pump went. I was, however, very young and had no idea about when it was last replaced, etc.. Knowing what I know now I would have replaced it when I first bought the car. Live and learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #20
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Fwiw I have about 122k right now.. years ago my buddy had an older Ford contour, and I remember him saying that his dad changed the water pump right there on the side if the road. So whatever form of pump was in that definitely stranded him. I parked early and chose to be towed mostly because it was a free service and for the safety of my car. As another poster said, BMW should really include a water gauge alongside the oil temp gauge.. it's as important as having a boost gauge to know when you have a leak.

A lot of this probably comes down to business and keeping people coming and going at the dealership's so that people aren't doing stuff on their own (lol). That and the large group of folk who own a BMW but don't touch wrenches, always getting the next car out don't need access to these critical gauges..

To Steve, are all services dead for you in those areas?? Maybe ask around and consider switching phone carriers.
      04-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #21
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Fwiw I have about 122k right now.. years ago my buddy had an older Ford contour, and I remember him saying that his dad changed the water pump right there on the side if the road. So whatever form of pump was in that definitely stranded him. I parked early and chose to be towed mostly because it was a free service and for the safety of my car. As another poster said, BMW should really include a water gauge alongside the oil temp gauge.. it's as important as having a boost gauge to know when you have a leak.

A lot of this probably comes down to business and keeping people coming and going at the dealership's so that people aren't doing stuff on their own (lol). That and the large group of folk who own a BMW but don't touch wrenches, always getting the next car out don't need access to these critical gauges..

To Steve, are all services dead for you in those areas?? Maybe ask around and consider switching phone carriers.
A temperature gauge wouldn't be very helpful with the way the cooling system is designed. It can get up to 115ish in normal conditions, but it starts to overheat at 120. That 5 degrees isn't enough time to notice or do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #22
SteveW928
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Definitely some forum hype involved, I agree. Conservative average seems to be about 100k for the N52 electric pump.
Oh wow, that's way better than the impression I've gotten so far. I have down in my notes 60k average. I was thinking.... maybe every 50k as preventative maintenance.

Quote:
A lot of this probably comes down to business and keeping people coming and going at the dealership's so that people aren't doing stuff on their own (lol). ...

I think the other big deal is just the cost. ~$1000 is a LOT of money for a water pump. So, it becomes a kind of big service item, plus the fear of being stranded.

re: carriers - No, they pretty much have similar coverage, afaik. That's just a reality of driving in northern Canada (well, more like lower-mid Canada... just way north of where *most* of the people are). When we're driving between cities, it's not uncommon to have hour or two dead-zones you're going through.

If you're on a well-traveled route (which I usually am), it's less of a deal, as you can ask someone else to call for help or get a ride, etc. But, there's still the wait and hassle involved.
Appreciate 0