E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 318d M Sport tramlining.

10-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

318d M Sport tramlining.

Hello, Just traded my 1M for a 10 month old 318d M Sport (don't ask!)

I'm very happy with the car in general, amazed with the fuel economy in fact, but the handling characteristics are causing me some concern.

I've had runflat shod 1 Series' before and non of them tramlined like this 318d is doing. It's on the standard 17" wheels with the 225/255 Bridgestone RE-050s and I specifically asked the dealer to KDS the car before delivery as I've found in the past that BMWs are rarely in spec when the alignment is checked.

The tyre pressures are as stated on the door sticker. But basically the car is a pig to drive on anything but mirror smooth roads, it hunts out every ridge and rut and generally feels very skittish laterally, mostly at the rear I think. I'm guessing this is due to the runflats?

Ride comfort is good, handling quite wallowy though, and the car handles well in the corners when pressing on, it feels well planted, so I'm assuming the alignment is good.

Anyone else with a LCI M Sport on 17s had similar issues?

I'm putting my winter wheels on this weekend , 225 runflats all round on 17s, so will be interesting to see what impact this has.

I think 255s at the back on this car is OTT so maybe getting a couple more front wheels and sticking 225s on the back will be an option too.

Thanks in advance for any input, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I have a 18m old 318d with the non RFT eco-tyres.

It does not exhibit any of these characteristics
      10-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Jnowm
Rep
Drives: 318d M Sport (coming)

Hi
I've got a 1 month old 318D in M Sport Trim and find it amazing to be fair, previous vectra had 225 18's and i found this tramlined much more than my 318D, only done 2k miles though but so far so excellent.

Jon
Appreciate 0