E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW E93 335is Comfort Access not working

01-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #1
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335is [6 MT] & V70R

Garage List
BMW E93 335is Comfort Access not working

Hello Guys, I just recently got myself into the BMW World with my 335is and already stumbled upon some problems. The Car came with Comfort Access (already checked VIN, Keyfob and Ridges on door => all present) and the dealer told me that since they had to import the car back to Germany the old battery was dead so they put in a new one (pretty basic cheap one) and the Comfort Access stopped working then. I found out that they forgot to code the battery and just bought myself a new one instead and coded it accordingly (got a 95AH AGM one and coded it to be a 90ah AGM one since that was the closest option) and cleared all errors. CA is still without function.

Whats weird is that comfort opening windows / retractable roof doesnt work either.

I searched the web and found nothing :/

Error codes thrown:

00A6CF(AUC Sensor)
00A103(Speed signal permanent failure A103/EWS4_CAS Bus error)
00A10A(EWS4 timing chall resp error)
002F4A(Schnittstelle EWS Motor)

(The Car also shakes pretty noticeable when accelerating. Already changed plugs, coils are next. Had a misfire @ cyl 1)

If you know anything Id be happy if you could let me know.

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED!

The solution was simple for me. The passenger door handle was defective so it always got hot and blew a fuse after like 3 minutes.
I changed the door handle and replaced the fuse and the Comfort Access would work right away. Cleared all the stored errors of course.

Worked fine ever since. No codes ever came up again. The misfire I had was a leaky injector btw. I replaced and coded it to my car and the shakes were gone too.

Hope this helps someone

Last edited by Xantor_; 02-15-2023 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

I bought my e93 335i in July. Only came with 1 key. New battery was installed, pre-purchase, and wasn't coded. They somehow blew the ROC unit during the battery install (roll over control unit....controls the roll bars that pop out of the head rests should the car flip). The key fob began eating batteries every 3-5 days. I replaced the battery and coded it appropriately. Replaced the ROC unit too. But the key fob still eats batteries. It's either the fob itself or something in the car is malfunctioning and causing constant communication with the fob. When I test it by removing the battery nightly I'm getting extended battery usage.....until I foget to remove it for a day or 2 and it dies.

All that to ask....have you replaced the battery in the key fob yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:18 AM   #3
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
I bought my e93 335i in July. Only came with 1 key. New battery was installed, pre-purchase, and wasn't coded. They somehow blew the ROC unit during the battery install (roll over control unit....controls the roll bars that pop out of the head rests should the car flip). The key fob began eating batteries every 3-5 days. I replaced the battery and coded it appropriately. Replaced the ROC unit too. But the key fob still eats batteries. It's either the fob itself or something in the car is malfunctioning and causing constant communication with the fob. When I test it by removing the battery nightly I'm getting extended battery usage.....until I foget to remove it for a day or 2 and it dies.

All that to ask....have you replaced the battery in the key fob yet?
Oh yes I forgot to mention. I have 2 keys and changed both batteries and still nothing. I also followed a tutorial on youtube where you start the ignition with the key in and holding the lock button for 10 seconds until a sound starts to appear. This should resync the key with the car if I remember correctly but it didnt help with my CA problem
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:40 AM   #4
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Can you start the car without inserting the key in the slot?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 04:46 AM   #5
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can you start the car without inserting the key in the slot?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. :/ Havent noticed a pattern on when it works and when not
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

There's an antenna for the CAS. I'd be willing to bet your issue is there.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But considering that none Comfort Functions are working could it really be the fault of only one antenna?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #8
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias_335is View Post
But considering that none Comfort Functions are working could it really be the fault of only one antenna?
If you can start the car without putting it into the slot.....that's 1 of the CA functions. Sounds like it's the only 1 that is working.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
If you can start the car without putting it into the slot.....that's 1 of the CA functions. Sounds like it's the only 1 that is working.
I was about to say maybe dealer uncoded his CA but yeah... if his car is able to turn on at least one time, without the key being in the slot, the nfor sure CA must be coded?

OP did you check your handles? Long shot but when I got my car used from a BMW dealer they told me my passenger CA handle wasn't working because of my window tint (LOL). I told to myself there was no way and the handle was just broke so I took it out to inspect it and noticed it wasn't even plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I was about to say maybe dealer uncoded his CA but yeah... if his car is able to turn on at least one time, without the key being in the slot, the nfor sure CA must be coded?

OP did you check your handles? Long shot but when I got my car used from a BMW dealer they told me my passenger CA handle wasn't working because of my window tint (LOL). I told to myself there was no way and the handle was just broke so I took it out to inspect it and noticed it wasn't even plugged in.
Yes I searched the last 2 hours and found out something similar. Whether it be not plugged in cables or corroded ones, door handles seem to be the problem very often. Since it is already dark outside I will have a look at them tomorrow and disassemble the Door handles. Already found the part nr. in case they are defect.

I will update this feed tomorrow if possible
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hmmm.....I wonder if my handles are the root cause of my issues with the 3 day key fob life? My headlight wiring was dry rotted from 12 years in Florida's heat....I can see the handle wiring being similar and shorting out intermittently, maybe sending signals to the fob draining it? The new battery that was installed a day before my purchase and lasted a mere 4-5 weeks may have also been murdered by a similar issue. I figured it was because it wasn't coded properly, which may still have played a role. I hadn't thought to check the handles as they work when a fresh battery is in the fob. I'll check those too!!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
So I pulled the driverside handle out today and the wires seemed to be ok. I couldnt pull the passenger side ones as it started to rain and I dont own a garage :/

So if it turns out that both handles work great what would be the next step?

Are there specific fuses I should check?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #13
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes. There are indeed specific fuses to check over. There should be a fuse map in your glove box. I believe there were 3 for me to check, all were fine for me. Can't recall which they were though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
So if I read correctly your CA works but your battery drains real quick? Or does your CA malfunction too?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #15
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Everything works for me.....the fob battery drains ridiculously quickly, 3-5 days of life.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #16
Froppen
Rep
Drives: Hybrid turbos E90 335D LCI

Did you manage to solve this?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #17
ATRannals
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is - 6MT

Looking for help with my 335is key fob issues as well. I bought the car back in 2016 and the CA worked flawlessly for several years (i.e. while it was under warranty!). About two years ago, the lock feature on the drivers door started acting up. Sometimes it would work just fine and other times I would have to tap the ridges several times to get it to lock. Annoying, but still functional.

Flash forward to today. I just got my car back after an extended body shop visit. My main key doesn’t work on the drivers handle, the trunk, or to start the car. It still works fine to lock/unlock the passenger handle. My backup key will start the car, open the trunk, passenger door lock/unlock, but drivers door only locks sometimes, and doesn’t unlock at all. WTF?

Any ideas where to start with two key fobs that behave differently and not consistently?

Would prefer not to take to a dealer, but as wonky as the issue seems to be, they might be best equipped to figure out something so weird?

Thanks!
      07-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #18
vitez180
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Cabrio

Question

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this or link me to a thread because my CA sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and if it works it's only when the key is close up to the car. Even when I try to put the top down with CA it will stop part way through and I have to keep reclicking the button on the key. Same with the CA door lock touch on handle, sometimes works sometimes doesn't but never on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #19
watermusicboy
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i E93 Convertible

Following because I'm having similar issues...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 08:57 AM   #20
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
SOLVED!

The solution was simple for me. The passenger door handle was defective so it always got hot and blew a fuse after like 3 minutes.
I changed the door handle and replaced the fuse and the Comfort Access would work right away. Cleared all the stored errors of course.

Worked fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 03:09 PM   #21
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

I noticed this is an older thread, but you posted a solution in Feb of 2023. I'm wondering when and where you found a replacement handle, other than used on ebay? I've had my car diagnosed by the dealer and they confirmed the CAS midule is working fine, but my drivers side handle is defective, but the part is no longer available. Having check the entire BMW network in North America, I have confirmed that there are no replacements in US or even Germany, so am wondering when/where you found your replacement, if possible its something I have not thought of.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 05:30 AM   #22
Xantor_
Wannabe Coder
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieCarGuy View Post
I noticed this is an older thread, but you posted a solution in Feb of 2023. I'm wondering when and where you found a replacement handle, other than used on ebay? I've had my car diagnosed by the dealer and they confirmed the CAS midule is working fine, but my drivers side handle is defective, but the part is no longer available. Having check the entire BMW network in North America, I have confirmed that there are no replacements in US or even Germany, so am wondering when/where you found your replacement, if possible its something I have not thought of.
So you could either call some local junkyards or open a post on this forum here, maybe someone happens to sell one from a parted out car.

Other than that I am sure Ebay would sell some. I'd advise to only search for "E93 door handle" and leave the comfort access out. You can easily spot if the handle is compatible or not as it has those 3 lines on the top.

Also there's a BMW part out store called "StraightSix Auto Parts" that specializes in parting out E9x and F Series cars. Maybe give them a call. +1 760-717-7277

best of luck and keep me updated
Appreciate 0