E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help! Growling sound coming from rear only with AC on

10-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
ColdUpHere
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Help! Growling sound coming from rear only with AC on

Hello friends! I have racking my brain with how I can get rid of this growling sound I am hearing coming from the rear of the car while inside the cabin! Before anything, here is a video showing the sound...You can hear the sound at 0:15 in the video:

Link to video

So far, I have noticed these things:
  • This sound can be replicated at idle only with the AC on (not just the blower, I must hit the AC button for the sound to appear)
  • The sound seems to be coming from the rear passenger side floor or potentially under the passenger side front seat
  • I am able to feel the rear passenger side floor vibrate in accordance with the sound
  • This sound can sometimes be heard when I am cruising at highway speeds (even with the AC off)

Any ideas are helpful as I have NO idea what this could be and am on the verge of deafness from cranking the stereo up to cancel out the noise.

Last edited by ColdUpHere; 10-07-2021 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Adding additional clarification
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
haaken675
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24v turbo e30, e92 335i

The a/c puts extra load on the motor and can cause more vibrations. As an example, my car has solid motor and trans mounts. With the a/c off the nvh isn't terrible. With the a/c on it's much more noticeable at idle.

It is possible that you have worn out bushings allowing for more movement. At a minimum i would check heat shields and splash guards to makes sure they aren't loose and vibrating. If this only happens when moving, likely center support bearing.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
ColdUpHere
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by haaken675 View Post
The a/c puts extra load on the motor and can cause more vibrations. As an example, my car has solid motor and trans mounts. With the a/c off the nvh isn't terrible. With the a/c on it's much more noticeable at idle.

It is possible that you have worn out bushings allowing for more movement. At a minimum i would check heat shields and splash guards to makes sure they aren't loose and vibrating. If this only happens when moving, likely center support bearing.
That would make a lot of sense. When the AC compressor kicks on, I am able to feel a lot more vibrations as a whole throughout the cabin.

Time for me to start replacing bushings and mounts haha
Appreciate 0