E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Not happy

05-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Not happy

What to do eh chaps?

I've got my dream car which, despite the many problems, I do actually quite like a lot. Theres not a lot left out there that I see as a suitable alternative so I have largely found happiness with my current car.

But....and it's quite important this.....I can't bloody use it properly! Well, not Palmnuts properly anyway, which means as a daily drive for everything, at all times. For reasons I'm not going into on a public forum, it has been suggested to me from a number of sources that it is 'inappropriate' for me to use on a daily basis....read into that what you will but I am saying no more So, I either defy this 'advice' and probably do myself no favours.....or, I leave it at home for 80% of the time whilst I either car share with the missus or, I buy something else as a daily drive.

We've tried the former for the last few weeks and it's a PITA. It's also not really feasible when I have to travel for work on some days (unless I take the train, but no thanks) and she doesn't really like driving the SLS. The latter idea of buying another (3rd) car for daily use just doesn't work for me - firstly, I see little point having such a nice (and expensive) car sat doing nothing for most of it's time and in any case, I don't want to spend the majority of my time driving something thats 'average', not when I've got a supercar anyway!

So, I intimated on another thread recently that problems with SLS ownership were on the horizon and so it seems.....I have to do something.

But,
I'm not buying a third car and leaving the SLS at home
My missus has no interest in driving an SLS daily and in any case, even if she did I don't want to driver her E350 all the time

So.....I've sold it I genuinely didn't want to....the things still in Germany having it's gearbox upgrade done (which I have to say did no harm when selling it) - even a crazy guy like me wouldn't have had that done if I didn't think I could get around / avoid the issue

Damn....the end of my dream car Still, at nearly 6 months since I bought it (can't believe it's been that long already), it's one of my longer ownership periods! And at least I've had it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

I guess some were worried about the message sent to either clients or employees about you owning a '£170k car'.....depending on your job circumstances I can see how that may be an issue, however frustrating it may be. its probably a fact that some won't understand your man maths and perhaps draw the wrong conclusions with negative consequences for the perception o your employer.

what's next?
      05-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

I am guessing going back to m power mentioned he liked the look of the m6
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Jag F Type next I recon....didnt you put a deposit down on one?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

just been reading this on PH, bad news about selling (spec so soon after the box upgrade), but I enjoy your write up's so look forward to the next car....
      05-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Hey Andrew,

I was waiting for this post, i too know what its like to have those comments and its not nice especially when you are trying to enjoy something that you work hard for.

I think you have done the right thing though, i don't think you and public transport would get on and having 3 cars is just silly when one of them is sitting on the drive costing you a small fortune.

So what now?? A 991 is a scratch you might need to itch but again will you get greif for driving that?? How about a new Cayman S, very good looking car and drives better that the 911.. Or perhaps a an f type?

I am sure it wont take you long to find something else :-)

How did you do on the sls??
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do you know what chaps, I'm that distraught by this that I actually forgot to put what I'm getting instead! No fun and games this time....it just ain't as much fun when downgrading!

Yes, I do have my name down on an F-Type but a coupe one....and they're at least a year away yet. I need something useable in the meantime!

I came to within a whisker of buying another 997 Turbo (oddly, no such appropriateness issues with one of those ) but a PDK this time.

However, as I suggested in the other thread, I am a sucker for a GT and do rather like the new M6....with the initial rate of depreciation out of the way and the fact they're just not selling (every car I looked at back in December is still for sale!), it's a buyers market.

I'm about to close a deal on an M6 that is.....wait for this....40% cheaper (per month) than I was quoted when I originally looked at one back in December! Insane eh?

Made some interesting conversations with dealers which went along the lines of 'you know that M6 you haven't sold since we last spoke in December? Are you ready to do a sensible deal on it now?'

As for the spec? Well, all the ones for sale are identical as they're all 'launch car' specs. They have a few options but nothing exciting like B&O or Ceramics - the only differences between all the cars on the AUC site are a few miles and colour combinations. Yet the price variances are ridiculous, with over £20k between the cheapest and most expensive

I didn't really want a black one (you can't see the carbon roof very well on those) so you can guess what it looks like I'm going to end up with Yep, a black one....they're literally thousands of pounds less than the other colours for identical spec, age, mileage etc and I genuinely think I'd be throwing money away if I went for any other more expensive colour (it's not like black is a crappy undesirable colour now is it?)! And yes, of course I have tried to negotiate the other colours down to the price of a black one....just don't forget that the black ones also appear to have margin to chip away at too so the variance stays largely consistent.

I've not even driven the thing and truth be told, I'm not that enthralled by the prospect (given my current chariot). However, it'll probably end up being a 'technically' better car than the SLS (i.e. it's a top end, mass produced car full of the very latest technology....I remember my previous M6 to be the best built and refined car I've ever had even to this day). If it's anything like my previous M6 but with a better gearbox then it'll be an impressive GT car and right up my street - I doubt it'll have the niggles and rattles that the more bespoke-built SLS has had.

I imagine it's performance to be similar to the SLS (similar power, more weight but significantly more torque to counter this) but it won't feel it given the greater refinement (which I admit, I will like a lot). It just looks so ordinary in comparison don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Real shame you had to let it go, must have missed the thread on PH
      05-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Hey Andrew,

I was waiting for this post, i too know what its like to have those comments and its not nice especially when you are trying to enjoy something that you work hard for.

I think you have done the right thing though, i don't think you and public transport would get on and having 3 cars is just silly when one of them is sitting on the drive costing you a small fortune.

So what now?? A 991 is a scratch you might need to itch but again will you get greif for driving that?? How about a new Cayman S, very good looking car and drives better that the 911.. Or perhaps a an f type?

I am sure it wont take you long to find something else :-)

How did you do on the sls??
Believe me Scott, I have questioned this consistently for about 4 weeks now - I'm so glad to have someone confirm I'm not mad by not wanting to keep the SLS locked up for most of the time! It's just too much money to have depreciating away without me actually enjoying that 'cost'.

Of course, a 991 is a definite future purchase but going from nearly 600hp down to 400hp (for a current 911 C2/4S), I would miss the feeling of thrust immediately. Yes, I know it has other attributes but I know how I use my cars (with a lot of time sat on the motorway and doing long journeys) so that GT ability, refinement and need for 'thrust' (if you know what I mean?) is more important than the ability to be fun on that elusive B-road blast. So, I think my 991 is the new Turbo and thats at least 18 months away before they're in my league! And oddly, 911's don't seem to attract quite the same kind of 'appropriateness' issues that the SLS does....yes, it's seen as an expensive car so does to some extent but, for some reason, with the SLS people think I've got a £250k+ car (and then question accordingly!)

How have I done on the SLS? Well, not tooooo bad....percentage wise. But it's still cost the best part of £1,500/month in depreciation (plus the gearbox upgrade, which has made getting a decent price that touch easier, as expected). Problem is, at this level a few small percent is still large sums of physical pounds!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Believe me i totally understand it, just don't see the point of having a mortgage payment sat on the driveway losing money.

Totally get where you are coming from with the power etc, m6 is a nice car just not sure its your sort of nice car. Have you thought about a panamera turbo? Fast gt that holds its money well, not many around and beautifully built.

If you haven't done the deal on the sls it would be worth trying romans international, they bought my car and were very good. Give them a ring and ask for tom, mention me and see what they offer you

Let me know how you get on if you do.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I have to admit I find this a little odd.

How is your employer vetting your cars. How are you suppose to know what is acceptable and what isn't. If it is a client perception or staff moral problem I'd put a porsche and a Maserati in the same category. Maybe even the xfr.

Are they saying they don't want you to turn up in any more expensive cars. Chopping an SLS for a porsche or even an m6 is a sideways move surely.

In your shoes I would feel quite dejected and whilst I struggle to follow your car changes the SLS sale is a sad one indeed.

You simply can't let it sit on the drive, it would be a total waste.

The only middle ground I could possible conjure providing it wasn't a staff moral problem would be your employers providing a 5 series pool car for example to meet clients in. Still the SLS would only see the same route every day.

I try to be pragmatic in these situations. You've had some great cars recently and presumably a job you still enjoy and find satisfaction from. There is some very nice, rewarding and more ordinary metal out there. Yes this is a shit position to be in all things being relative, but the situation could be much worse.

P.s rob from Sturgess was looking forward to seeing the SLS, guess that won't happen now. the f-type is stunning but you will need the v8. V6 is erring on the gutless side (dare I say it, it just felt slow after my xfr) considering what you have driven. Coupe looks stunning too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I won't go into any specific detail but a lot of the issue is people see the SLS as a lot more expensive than it actually is. Yes, it is very expensive, but people perceptions are that it's even twice what it is!

Nothing has been said directly although things are implied based on our economic environment and the subsequent impacts this has had on some people. Thing is, I can't disagree with any of it and even before any of this, even I felt I couldn't use it as much as I wanted to. What with all of this and the consistent niggles, it's been quite a strange feeling owning this car (you will notice this in how little I've written about it...heck, I don't even have any really decent photo's like I do of my previous cars...although the weather since I've had it is largely to blame for this!)

I have (what I feel is) a fantastic job and an employer who has supported me through 11+ years of considerable growth so being cautious around a sensitive situation is only being prudent. And I'll admit that a lot of this will be my sensitivity to owning a car of such high (perceived) value....on the basis that I do actually appreciate the impression it appears to send out. Heck, it's not even just in a professional environment....you see it on here with people commenting how I must be a millionaire when in reality, it costs me no more to 'rent' than some very ordinary cars. So, if I feel I can't actually enjoy using it (for a plethora of reasons) then I probably won't use it - this would be just a waste and hence the decision to let it go. Believe me, an M6 is not even in the same league when it comes to perceived value (it looks like a 640d!)....neither are Porsches or (Maserati excepted) most other cars I've had as they're all very similar to cars than can be had for reasonable money.

I was very lucky how I came across the opportunity to own this car and, had I paid full retail money for it, it would have been as painful as highlighted above. Thankfully this isn't the case and so, gearbox upgrade apart, I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to own one with relatively low risk.

You've reminded me about Rob and if I still have it next week, I'll pop down and see him! All the guys at Sturgess said they wanted to see it....I thought it was more out of politeness! They will be getting my business again very soon though.

Last edited by Palmnuts; 05-15-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I can understand the "appropriateness" problems perfectly well Andrew but I do think that a 911 would still give you some grief. Did you get any "grumbles" when you had the XKRS? I would have thought there might have been a little.

Turning up in the SLS is basically the same as turning up in an Italia, or an Aventador - it's a supercar and I think most people, even non-car people, realise that. You would probably have been better off turning up in an Aston Martin as most people think they are "lovely".

If you were the owner or a senior director and perceived to be a wealthy man you wouldn't have the grief (although if you were such, you could afford to have it at home whilst using an M6 as your daily driver) but turning up in a car that peers and bosses above you couldn't afford in their wildest dreams disturbs such people whilst the more plebeian subordinate would probably gossip that you must be "up to something."

I feel your pain... as in empathy rather than real understanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

To be honest it seems you get bored with your cars any get itchy feet very quickly. When someone changes so often it seems to me that you truly don't love your cars and swap out quickly because you can.

But if you can take the financial hits then go for it however I give the M6 3 or 4 months max.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #15
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

I said it would be gone within 6 months............ such a shame
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Why don't we car swap mate - sounds like the perfect solution
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Can you not buy PeterG out of his lease on his 640d for the remainder of his contract, don't think he was paying too much.

FWIW I often get comments about driving a newish van from my customers, mostly from the ones living in million pound houses!
      05-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Stuff
As I've said, I too 'get' the appropriateness piece, hence even without any direct comments, I just won't use it.

I do disagree about the fact I have a car that others coudnt afford in their wildest dreams....of course they could, if I can. It's how people distribute their funds that's different. There are people less senior than me who spend similar money (monthly) sending their kids to private school but of course this is relatively invisible compared to my supercar. I probably wouldn't be able to have the cars like I do if I had kids....but I choose to live a certain way (whilst I can ). The SLS was not a well judged decision in all honesty.

I had no such issues with any of the Jags...they were seen as just Jaguar XKR's which as we know you can buy similar for the cost of a top end 3 series. Same with Porsche really....they just don't have that perceived value and as there are a few Porsches at our HQ, mine wouldn't stand out as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
To be honest it seems you get bored with your cars any get itchy feet very quickly. When someone changes so often it seems to me that you truly don't love your cars and swap out quickly because you can.

But if you can take the financial hits then go for it however I give the M6 3 or 4 months max.
True, although this is less of a case of itchy feet! I'd rather not do this, at this stage.

I don't doubt your view on the M6 either, although I'd say closer to F-Tye coupe launch date. And don't forget, I don't always take a hit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Can you not buy PeterG out of his lease on his 640d for the remainder of his contract, don't think he was paying too much.

FWIW I often get comments about driving a newish van from my customers, mostly from the ones living in million pound houses!
I considered this before....his mileage limit is far too low (I'd hit it in a couple of months!). The M6 will be considered as a normal 6 series, but for me, I still have supercar-like performance! Well, I think I will....I've not actually tried it yet!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #19
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Shame to see the SLS go, but look on the bright side, you still got to drive a car most of us would never ever get the chance to sit in let alone drive...and a M6 is hardly a banger
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #20
Ste133
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i

Shame that you had to sell the SLS, but that is a car that most of us will never get to own..

M6 next? 40% cheaper per month (don't tell the other half)? Sounds like a deal that can't be ignored!

Look forward to reading the usual write up on the M6
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #21
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I totally understand this problem. I work for my friend who has a penchant for super cars. I know how he funded his initial expensive first purchase via "found" money so to speak and has for many years rode the waiting list/depreciation/buying sensibly wave to continually up his budget gradually so i don't have a problem with what he drives. However, I do know that quite a few staff members over the years have had issues with him turning up in a new £100k+ car every 6 months. Especially when business is tight and people may have not seen a wage rise in a while (not talking about me here ).

He has in the past voiced concern over how certain cars may look to employees and I do know that he cancelled purchases for both a DBS and a MP4-12C due to how they may be perceived. It also extends to client perception as being in our line of business (full service digital marketing agency previously specialising in third sector) it WILL set you off on the wrong foot with a client if you turn up to a pitch all guns blazing in a Ferrari. For this reason we have an old Ford Focus at work and nearly always use this for meetings. We did on one occasion due to bad planning turn up at a meeting with an environmental charity in a V10 R8 with a full Miltek system on it..... It was so funny trying to be discreet in the car park, meeting went well then the noise on cold start when leaving killed off all hope of winning that job, nearly shattered the windows in the office block.

The funny thing is Porsches do not have the same effect. I think it's a familiarity thing. Without being to disparaging there is a 911 on every street nowadays. Familiarity means they draw less attention and therefor fewer questions. They all look so similar to the uninitiated that even the models such as the Turbo and GT3's can kind of slip under the radar.

Anyway. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Sometimes life sucks but hey, if having to down grade your SLS to an M6 is your biggest problem then you're not doing too bad. First world problems are a bitch eh? Enjoy the new car.
      05-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #22
marlie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Sorry to hear about this Andrew, I was very close to buying a 997 GTS and keeping my 116d as a daily, but in the end, I was in the same boat thinking why bother spending all that £££ when its gonna be sitting in my garage most of the year.

Anyway good luck with the M6, I really really like them, Im gonna keep the M135i for a couple of years then its gonna be M4 or M6 time.