E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > I blew the whistle on a service advisor via after-service evaluation

12-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

I blew the whistle on a service advisor via after-service evaluation

So I took my BMW for an oil change to a local dealer this weekend. The service adviser's demeanor was terrible. Didn't get a nice "hello, how are you?" and his attitude was just terrible. Right off the bat, I knew this guy was having an arrogant/smirky attitude that day and also he seemed new because I've never seen his face before.

Told him I needed an oil change, and then I came back 20 minutes later to ask him to check out the issue with my rocking driver's seat. Says sure, he'll take care of it and have the technician check it out and see what he thinks. I'm assuming at this point, he's going to put it in the computer and update my work order. All work is put into the system for each car's work order. We all know that right? From minor stuff to major stuff like windshield wiper replacement to some random shit, everything is in the work order.

2 hours passed, and my car is done. First thing I asked was, did you check the driver's seat? He looked surprised and puzzled. Quickly responded "oh yea, you know we looked at it , most likely an issue with the seat rails, ya know?". Okay... i'm thinking that this is coming from the technician. If it is, then it should be in the work order right?

so I go to the cashier's desk to pay for the oil change and I looked at the work order. No where does it say that they investigated the driver's seat. This freaking SA lied to my face with a bold face lie. What an ass. I didn't confront him, I was simply going to wait and blast him later.

2 days later, I get an email from the service director asking about my experience. I told him exactly how I felt by email and how he was incompetent of his job, that his demeanor looked like he hated his job, and how he lied to me about checking out my seat when it wasn't even on the work order result.

I'm not sure if I feel bad, cause I may potentially affect this guy's job. I know he is a new guy and I've never seen his face before at this local dealership. But I truly know that he has one of the poorest customer service demeanor I have ever witnessed. Everybody has a happy face, a smile, and a greet. This guy was like, he just didn't want to deal with you, period! Yes, he is young and probably inexperienced.

But listen boys, if you got a smirky/arrogant attitude just tell me that you're too busy and I"ll go get another service agent to work with. But don't lie to my face! Or if you really forgot to order the work, then say you forgot about the work, and then you can take the car back again to check it out. Why you have to let me catch you later?

Let me give you an example of what should have happened in a normal scenario? and any of these scenario would have been fine:

1. "Oh yea, you have that problem right? Well, our technician looked at it and in order to move forward, we have to charge you a diagnostic fee of $xxx"
2. "Oh yea, we looked at it and we need your approval to move forward with disassembly and it will cost $xxx which will go towards the actual repair.
3. "Oh yea, it looks like your seat is busted. We have to replace your seat. It costs $xxx amount. Do you want us to fix it?"
4. "Oh yea, we looked at it, we found no issue. It operates as normal."

Instead, all I got was "yea we looked at it, it does rock a bit more than usual. It's "probably" the rails. " - END OF STORY.

So what does that mean? are you going to move forward to have me fix it? You are my service adviser for that day. You have to provide me with options as to how to proceed. You didn't give me any options other than you confirmed my issue. But you didn't tell me what can be done and what my options are? I suspect you did not even have the work checked out at all based on your arrogant and smirky attitude.

Last edited by nukezero; 12-17-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
they have the after-service evaluation for a reason! good for you, id do the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
tigermack
OPN DIFF
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
He doesn't deserve the job if he can't respect you as a customer. That's HIS job to treat you right!

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

[u2b]http://youtu.be/CBJtzEKetBM[/u2b]
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

i would too... kinda wish i did last time i was there when i had to go back three times in one day over a headlight.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I don't know if I'd want to be you the next time I go in for service. It'll probably go one of 2 ways:

1. They fall all over you trying to keep you happy
2. They are polite to your face but totally indifferent to your problems. And don't ask for anything "above and beyond", because they think you're a jerk, so everything will be 100% by the book.

I hope for you, it's number 1.

Last edited by wrickem; 12-16-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

2 hours to do an oil change??
What did they do for that long?

BMW gets a lot of money from us owners for service/parts/other shit
For the money per hour spent, they should be wiping our asses.
Anything less, why feel bad for shit service and bringing it up when asked for your evaluation?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
ritjeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero
So I took my BMW for an oil change to a local dealer this weekend. The service adviser's demeanor was terrible. Didn't get a nice "hello, how are you?" and his attitude was just terrible. Right off the bat, I knew this guy was having a bad day and also he seemed new because I've never seen his face before.

Told him I needed an oil change, and then I came back 20 minutes later to ask him to check out the issue with my rocking driver's seat. Says sure, he'll take care of it and have the technician check it out and see what he thinks. I'm assuming at this point, he's going to put it in the computer and update my work order. All work is put into the system for each car's work order. We all know that right? From minor stuff to major stuff like windshield wiper replacement to some random shit, everything is in the work order.

2 hours passed, and my car is done. First thing I asked was, did you check the driver's seat? He looked surprised and puzzled. Quickly responded "oh yea, you know we looked at it , most likely an issue with the seat rails, ya know?". Okay... i'm thinking that this is coming from the technician. If it is, then it should be in the work order right?

so I go to the cashier's desk to pay for the oil change and I looked at the work order. No where does it say that they investigated the driver's seat. This freaking SA lied to my face with a bold face lie. What an ass. I didn't confront him, I was simply going to wait and blast him later.

2 days later, I get an email from the service director asking about my experience. I told him exactly how I felt by email and how he was incompetent of his job, that his demeanor looked like he hated his job, and how he lied to me about checking out my seat when it wasn't even on the work order result.

I'm not sure if I feel bad, cause I may potentially affect this guy's job. I know he is a new guy and I've never seen his face before at this local dealership. But I truly know that he has one of the poorest customer service demeanor I have ever witnessed. Everybody has a happy face, a smile, and a greet. This guy was like, he just didn't want to deal with you, period! Yes, he is young and probably inexperienced.

But listen boys, if you are having a bad personal day, I get it! Just tell me that you're having a bad day and I"ll go get another service agent to work with. But don't lie to my face! Or if you really forgot to order the work, then say you forgot about the work, and then you can take the car back again to check it out. Why you have to let me catch you later?
Depending on the stealership, they probably don't even read these. Mine sure doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
luskombi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 320i, 2007 328i, 2002 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1
2 hours to do an oil change??
What did they do for that long?

BMW gets a lot of money from us owners for service/parts/other shit
For the money per hour spent, they should be wiping our asses.
Anything less, why feel bad for shit service and bringing it up when asked for your evaluation?
Probably checking his seat like the SA said they did. And for free since it wasn't on the work order.

I get the crappy attitude though. The parts manager at my local dealer told me once that my old E46 was a dying breed. Lol. He was all to happy to sell parts for it though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
I've had to do this before, and BMWNA doesn't mess around with this. It's unacceptable
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

I speak to people to find out - we all have bad days and while it shouldn't be taken to work, we are human. Perhaps a better way of dealing with it would have been to speak with him directly at the time.

I had a similar experience with someone - attitude and acted as if I did something wrong. I simply asked 'Did I do something to make you upset?' and she responded with a 'No', but still appeared upset.. so I followed up with 'Are you certain? Your demeanor towards me seems to tell me otherwise..' after which she said that she had another customer who was an ass, assured me that it wasn't me and then proceeded to apologize and she was like a new person.

We all have bad days.. and you can be guaranteed that some BMW owners who come in for service are jackasses who think they are better than others.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Well...giving a review is ok, you did the right thing.
But before leaving the dealership I would at least ask the SA that the issue is not fixed and its not there in the service order. I would give him a chance to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
If the guy has a bad attitude & is new on the job just think how bad it will be a few months down the road.

Its good to fill the form out because of bad service & also very good to fill it out when you get good service from someone.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjeff View Post
Depending on the stealership, they probably don't even read these. Mine sure doesn't.
Oh wow, I work at a Major Dealership here and there and they take those things very seriously, for example... At my dealership, that SA would lose his monthly bonus and take a commission cut which is basically a majority of his or her pay to be honest. If you acknowledged he was having a bad day... Why were you so hard on him? He probably is a good guy with a usually cheerful mood at work, but as you said, he could have been going through something..Why not speak with him personally right then and there?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

This is exactly why I don't deal with dealerships. Their empolyees are a bunch of arrogant assholes that think because they work at BMW, that THEY are entitled to having their feet kissed or should be respected above average for "handling" (in a man-handle type way) customers. I see this on the sales and service side.

I'm not one to beg someone to take my money, but I'll graciously compensate someone who as earned it w/ genuine attention to detail.

Attention to detail is why I bought a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

No, they told me before hand the oil change was going to take 2 hours because it was so backed up. They had a lot of cars that day. It actually took about an hour and 30 minutes. This is also including the car wash.

The SA's tone of voice and his "made up story" at the end really sound like he didn't have the seat checked at all. I am almost certain about it. Besides, the dealer makes money if they perform an inspection and would gladly try to diagnose problems because it reels in money for them.

I don't think the advisers mood was just down that day like he's having a sad bad day like his dog died. But it's just he had a strange arrogant (yeah i'm lazy) type of attitude, don't bother me. Because, when i first walked up, I can tell he glanced at me and his face/reaction was one of those "oh I hope he doesn't come this way, i'll just look down at the computer and ignore him" type of attitude. This is not something I want to deal with.
But the reason why I approached him was because the client adviser delegator told me to go to him. So it's not like I had a choice at the time.

So maybe next time, when I walk up to any service adviser i should say to them and make a big scene:

1. Hi, are you having a bad day? If so, tell me now, and I'll leave you alone and find another agent.
2. Because if you are having a bad day, and you lie to me, I will blast you on paper.
3. Or if you're not having a bad day, you're just lazy, then tell me too.

I agree with someone, we paid too much at the dealership to have to deal with this attitude.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Kudos to you and consider yourself lucky...I never receive a survey after a problem with a dealer. I end up calling BMWNA.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB

Why didn't you go back immediately with the slip in hand? Passive aggressive doesn't do anybody any justice. I prefer assertive aggressive because in the end it gets shit done.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
E-9-D
Fixed Bianchi > E46 > E90
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I think you did the right thing by complaining. However, I don't think you should expect them to necessarily kiss your a** when you roll up. I want service with a clear focus on the job being done and complete attention to detail. No-nonsense in my opinion. I hate service that is overly chatty, social or up in my biz. For some reason this happens to me at the dentist. I want ultimate efficiency and I hate getting caught up in mindless conversation. I'm paying them to fix my car as expeditiously as possible and with the highest level of quality. I am not paying them to be my friend etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #20
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

i hope you get 'ffffff' the same way at your job.

You said it yourself, he seemed like he was having a bad day. You could have simply asked to speak to a tech after the fact and then spoke with the SA on the side and just mention to him that you will be giving your professional opinion on his services and given him the chance to work it out for you.

You're going to piss on his job because he overlooked a fucking seat rail? Are you overweight that your seat is rocking?

I think this is really uncalled for.

They dont write EVERYTHING down on a work order; I hope you know that what they write on there they have to bill for.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
E-9-D
Fixed Bianchi > E46 > E90
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswhatsh3said View Post

You said it yourself, he seemed like he was having a bad day. You could have simply asked to speak to a tech after the fact and then spoke with the SA on the side and just mention to him that you will be giving your professional opinion on his services and given him the chance to work it out for you.

You're going to piss on his job because he overlooked a fucking seat rail? Are you overweight that your seat is rocking?

They dont write EVERYTHING down on a work order; I hope you know that what they write on there they have to bill for.
I agree. If you realize the SA is having a bad day, you might want to be a human being and cut some slack.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #22
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswhatsh3said

Yes, they bill for it, fine. But how was it checked out?

Did they just look at it and say oh yeah it's maybe the rails?

He didn't even offer to fix it. He didn't even push me to repair it or e even seem concerned at all. I came in with a problem and I'd like a minor diagnosis as to what's wrong?!

I was seriously hoping he would come back to me and say 'hey our tech looked at it and it does seem problematic. However in order for us to go forward and really disassemble the pieces, then we'd have to charge you $50 or $75, which of course could go towards the repair .'

However I didn't even get that kind of service!!! All he said was ' yeah, we looked at it, maybe it seems like the rail. PERIOD. End of conversation.

There was no comment about:

Do you want to fix it?
Do you want us to proceed to break it down and fix it?

I was prepared for an ass raping $$ repair which was fine. I got money.

But ,my seat still rocks. You offered no solution. Problem not solved..

Atleast tell me something like "Yeah you know what?! Your seat is bad! It's going to cost $1700 to replace it!" Okay I can accept that comment.

I'm insulted by your comment. The service adviser's attitude that day was just he wanted to leave work or something and not give a rats ass about customer's issues.

Which is why I told the service director , why hire a guy who is not helping the dealership reap in some big $$$??? A seat for $1700 is a nice margin to be had....
Appreciate 0