E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake pads w/better initial bite than OEM

09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
So many variables it's hard to say definitively. Driving styles have just as much impact as pad selection.

I will say that from what I've heard, hps won't really survive the track. I wouldn't even call the hp+ a track pad but it probably will survive a weekend.
The pads are for my DD, which I also AutoX. Will my OEM pads handle the track? I'll call my driving style "spirited" at the least
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #24
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Real road course? I can't use oem pads for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Real road course? I can't use oem pads for that.
I ran OEM pads many times on track, front and rear, without problems. They tend to fade about halfway through a session, which you can mitigate by doing a cool down lap. Otherwise I was rather impressed with their capabilities. Are they my preferred pad - definitely not, but saying you 'can't' use them is inaccurate.
      09-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I said "I", not you or he. Refer back to my comment on driving style.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
I said "I", not you or he. Refer back to my comment on driving style.
If that's how we're looking at it - your response to the poster's question about OEM pads on track doesn't qualify as an answer (if you intended it as a response, that is).

Sorry, I don't want to start anything but I dislike misinformation more than anything; it spreads like wildfire on a forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
The pads are for my DD, which I also AutoX. Will my OEM pads handle the track? I'll call my driving style "spirited" at the least
You can use them, but economically speaking you'd be well off to have a second set of pads. The track is hard on brakes; why beat up your street stuff when you can have parts dedicated for the task. Same concept as having a second set of tires for the track, which makes sense if you're doing more than one or two events a year.

I'll chime in this thread and say there is no single brake pad that will give you great track performance and great street performance. The pads that try to do so (PFC08, &c) meet somewhere in the middle and it's a compromise on both ends, never really accomplishing either goal.
I bought real track pads this year, and use OEM on the street, best of both worlds - only downside is having to switch pads which becomes rather routine after the first couple times.

(P.S. if OEM pads were even remotely unsafe, then BMW CCA wouldn't let you on track with them. My BMW CCA chapter does on the other hand require a brake fluid change within the last six months.)
      09-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
Not to highjack the post here, but I'm in almost the same position (well not really).

My car is my DD, but I also run autocross with it and plan to take it to the track occasionally (first event in a month or so - I'm pumped!).

If I want street performance, but harder use reliability what a good pad? I've heard mixed things about the Hawk HPS but that's where I'm leaning for now.
Just to make one thing clear, the 330 stock front brakes are smaller than 335. I can tell you that you will be fine with a stock set-up for 1-3 events until you get better/faster. Then you will start looking at brake upgrades. Considering you have an xi which is heavier you will be wearing pads down even faster.

No matter which one you choose make sure you have a spare set of front and rear pads with you at the event. Otherwise you may have to tow your car if pads are worn out.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I've had the Porterfield RS4. In my opinion those are weak sauce pads. The initial bite was somewhat less than stock pads, they dusted a lot and had the tendency to leave uneven deposits on the rotors.

They were also completely inadequate for road coarse. I obliterated a brand new set in 2 track days.

Right now I drive around with PFC 08. Yes, the squeek and screetch a lot because they are not hot enough during daily driving but they have excellent initial bite which remains constant throughout the temperature range.

I've done 2 seasons of track days already and they are not even half worn out.
      09-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #30
mmurray
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
(P.S. if OEM pads were even remotely unsafe, then BMW CCA wouldn't let you on track with them. My BMW CCA chapter does on the other hand require a brake fluid change within the last six months.)
I'm starting to fall back on this rationale... this is my first true road course event (NJMP Lightning), and I won't be back on track until next spring at the earliest.

As long as OEM will get me through the day safely without holding me back, I'll be fine waiting until next year to purchase track pads. I'm putting decent fluid in there so hopefuly that'll help with fade (will still need to cool down I think). Does that make sense or am I crazy?
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #31
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

if it's your first time, and you are on street tires, OEM pads can get you through the day fine. Just be conscious of how your brakes feel, and if they start getting soft, you'll need to take it easy for a couple of laps to cool them down.

Also, the fresher your brake fluid, the better chance you have against fade.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

I am installing some akebono brake pads tomorrow. Ill let you know how that goes as far as how they feel compared to OEM.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0