E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Missing ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps in iDrive

03-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Missing ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps in iDrive

Hello all! I'm hoping you can shed some light/offer your thoughts on an issue I'm having.

I just picked up a new 2011 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport which includes Navigation w/ Enhanced BT & USB, Smartphone Integration and BMW Apps according to the window sticker. Also, according to the dealership's website write-up it also has the Combox.

For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get BMW Apps working. So, via some searches on YouTube I found some video "walk throughs" of the option. It looks as if it is all contained under "ConnectedDrive" in the iDrive menu. Here's the rub...I do not have that option in my iDrive menu.

Now, if it was just the dealership's write up on their own website that I was basing my assumption of options on, I'd think that maybe they listed something the car did not actually have mistakenly. However, on both versions of my window sticker (the one on the actual window, as well as another version of it included with the car's documentation), the three options of Nav w/ Enh BT&USB, Smartphone Integration, and BMW Apps are all listed.

So...my question to you guys is do you think it's a situation of a bad Combox, or a bad connection between the Combox and the CIC, so that the option isn't registering in the iDrive menu? The system also will not accept the most recent (12/11) update for the Combox via the USB port in the center console. I'm obviously going to get the dealership involved, but I wanted to check with the collective knowledge of E90Post as well.

Thank you in advance!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*

Last edited by Ackrite; 03-20-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

You've come to the right place, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks that will help you. Here's some background that will help in the meantime: BMW started installing the Combox (hardware) in September of 2010 on 2011 models, and ConnectedDrive (software) started getting installed in March 2011. So, if by some fluke your car's manufacture date is outside those dates, that would explain the situation.

Assuming your car is the correct "vintage" (and therefore has the combox hardware), it sounds like it doesn't have the coding/programming for ConnectedDrive.

Since you bought this car new from the dealer, it is all on them to make sure the car has the options it was represented to have. I would put all the onus on them to get this straight - after all, it's a brand new car and it's not showing the options for which you paid!
      03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post
Hello all! I'm hoping you can shed some light/offer your thoughts on an issue I'm having.

I just picked up a new 2011 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport which includes Navigation w/ Enhanced BT & USB, Smartphone Integration and BMW Apps according to the window sticker. Also, according to the dealership's website write-up it also has the Combox.

For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get BMW Apps working. So, via some searches on YouTube I found some video "walk throughs" of the option. It looks as if it is all contained under "ConnectedDrive" in the iDrive menu. Here's the rub...I do not have that option in my iDrive menu.

Now, if it was just the dealership's write up on their own website that I was basing my assumption of options on, I'd think that they were just donkeys and listed something the car did not actually have. However, on both versions of my window sticker (the one on the actual window, as well as another version of it included with the car's documentation), the three options of Nav w/ Enh BT&USB, Smartphone Integration, and BMW Apps are all listed.

So...my question to you guys is do you think it's a situation of a bad Combox, or a bad connection between the Combox and the CIC, so that the option isn't registering in the iDrive menu? The system also will not accept the most recent (12/11) update for the Combox via the USB port in the center console. I'm obviously going to get those goats at the dealership involved, but frankly I think I trust the collective knowledge of E90Post over almost anything they've told me so far.

Thank you in advance!

You need an iPhone/iPod with BMW Connected App installed. Once you have the application installed on your iOS device, open and run the application, then plug the phone into the USB port of the car or the optional snap-in adapter if you bought one. Now, go to ConnectedDrive and you should see the BMW Apps and the options in the sub-menu.
      03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDiner View Post
You've come to the right place, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks that will help you. Here's some background that will help in the meantime: BMW started installing the Combox (hardware) in September of 2010 on 2011 models, and ConnectedDrive (software) started getting installed in March 2011. So, if by some fluke your car's manufacture date is outside those dates, that would explain the situation.

Assuming your car is the correct "vintage" (and therefore has the combox hardware), it sounds like it doesn't have the coding/programming for ConnectedDrive.

Since you bought this car new from the dealer, it is all on them to make sure the car has the options it was represented to have. I would put all the onus on them to get this straight - after all, it's a brand new car and it's not showing the options for which you paid!
Diesel,

Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate it very much...that's why I love this forum.

My car's build date is August of 2011...so from what you mentioned above, it should have all the correct coding. But alas, something is off, as "ConnectedDrive" is no where to be found. I have a call into my CA and am awaiting a call back to get the ball rolling on this. Are the options listed on a window sticker ever wrong? Or is it more likely that everything I need is already in the car but there's just something wrong with one or more pieces?

Thanks again.
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
You need an iPhone/iPod with BMW Connected App installed. Once you have the application installed on your iOS device, open and run the application, then plug the phone into the USB port of the car or the optional snap-in adapter if you bought one. Now, go to ConnectedDrive and you should see the BMW Apps and the options in the sub-menu.
Iatacs,

Thanks for the input. I did indeed download the Conncected App from the App Store. I also purchased the BMW Media Snap-In Adapter as well. The first Snap-In was clearly faulty as it kept dropping the connection w/ my iPhone every few minutes and then reestablishing, dropping again, etc...

I've tried running the "Self-Diagnosis" within the Connected App via both the Snap-In adapter and the White Apple USB cord, and everytime I get the message "Connection with Vehicle Failed"... None of those steps help...and I can't "go to ConnectedDrive" as that option isn't listed within my iDrive menu.

It's almost as if I have a bad Combox or connection so that anything ConnectedDrive related is not being recognized.

Thanks again.
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*

Last edited by Ackrite; 03-20-2012 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
abcde
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i M Sport LeMansBlue

Most likely there's something wrong with your Combox. I had an issue where my iPhone wasn't even recognized by the car when I used my snap-in adapter. It would work fine through the white iPod cable though, just not the snap-in. I took it to the dealership and they tried different adapters, tried different iPhones, etc. They determined it was the Combox that was bad. Left it there for a couple of days while they put in a new one and reprogrammed everything. It all works now. Since you bought new, your dealership should be able to take care of it at no charge. I didn't have to pay anything for mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
steelersfan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335i E90 M-Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Deja Vu:

This exact same thing happened to me. And I have an Aug 2011 build 335i M-Sport edition. I have one quick question for you: Do don't happen to have the Performance Power Kit, do you? I ended up taking my car back to the dealership, and they had to recode the car to get "ConnectedDrive" to show up as a menu option. Apparently installation of the PPK, requires dealership coding, and in the process of coding for the PPK, they erased the coding for ConnectedDrive.
      03-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan View Post
Deja Vu:

This exact same thing happened to me. And I have an Aug 2011 build 335i M-Sport edition. I have one quick question for you: Do don't happen to have the Performance Power Kit, do you? I ended up taking my car back to the dealership, and they had to recode the car to get "ConnectedDrive" to show up as a menu option. Apparently installation of the PPK, requires dealership coding, and in the process of coding for the PPK, they erased the coding for ConnectedDrive.
Eureka!

I do indeed have the PPK Stage 1 upgrade! I wonder if that's what happened to my car?! I'm due into the dealership on Monday to have them look at it.

In your case was your PPK factory installed or done by the dealership as a dealer installed option? Now my only concern is the possibility of erasing my PPK when they recode the Combox! Is that in fact a possibility even?

Thanks!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*

Last edited by Ackrite; 03-20-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
steelersfan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Eureka!

I do indeed have the PPK Stage 1 upgrade! I wonder if that's what happened to my car?! I'm due into the dealership on Monday to have them look at it.

In your case was your PPK factory installed or done by the dealership as a dealer installed option? Now my only concern is those doofuses erasing my PPK when they recode the Combox! Is that in fact a possibility even?

Thanks!
I purchased off the lot, and PPK was already installed on the car. It was documented on the original window sticker as well as the paper copy that comes with all the owners manuals, so although I don't know for sure, I'll assume it was installed at the factory. You bring up an interesting thought, how would one know that PPK wasn't erased? Other that dyno'ing the car. There's no status indication that PPK is enabled or not, readily available via iDrive or the BC Stalk, that I'm aware of. Of course from my dealings so far with my SA and ST, I have complete confidence in their skillset and integrity, so I'm not overly concerned that they somehow disabled my PPK is order to fix ConnectedDrive.
      03-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Eureka!

In your case was your PPK factory installed or done by the dealership as a dealer installed option? Now my only concern is those doofuses erasing my PPK when they recode the Combox! Is that in fact a possibility even?

Thanks!
The PPK Stage 1 updates the car past v43 software. v43 software introduced FSC enabling codes for the 6NR option -ConnectedDrive BMW Apps. The FSC enabled the BMW Apps after the update.

No FSC = no BMW Apps.

Unfortunately, there were no 6NR FSC codes available back then and dealers were informed late of this corporate mess up.

Drama ensures.

The 6NR FSC were finally made available to dealers late last year. Go to the dealer and tell them of your situation, they should know now what to do to enable the option. This is a warranty issue.

Last edited by Technic; 03-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Corrected SW version number to 43...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
steelersfan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The PPK Stage 1 updates the car past v45 software. v45 software introduced FSC enabling codes for the 6NR option -ConnectedDrive BMW Apps. The FSC enabled the BMW Apps after the update.

No FSC = no BMW Apps.

Unfortunately, there were no 6NR FSC codes available back then and dealers were informed late of this corporate mess up.

Drama ensures.

The 6NR FSC were finally made available to dealers late last year. Go to the dealer and tell them of your situation, they should know now what to do to enable the option. This is a warranty issue.
Really? v45 software, that's good to know. I do remember reading a thread a little while ago about that very subject. As a matter of fact, weren't you the first guy to get the entire ConnectedDrive suite and other stuffs retrofitted after the FSC enabling codes became available?
      03-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan View Post
Really? v45 software, that's good to know. I do remember reading a thread a little while ago about that very subject. As a matter of fact, weren't you the first guy to get the entire ConnectedDrive suite and other stuffs retrofitted after the FSC enabling codes became available?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633176
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
steelersfan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Yep, that's the thread I was talking about.
      03-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
Quote:
Eureka!

Thanks!
The PPK Stage 1 updates the car past v45 software. v45 software introduced FSC enabling codes for the 6NR option -ConnectedDrive BMW Apps. The FSC enabled the BMW Apps after the update.

No FSC = no BMW Apps.

Drama ensures.

Technic,

I'm glad one of our resident gurus has chimed in...though I of course appreciate everyone's contributions thus far.

So, is it your thought that my Combox may be functionally fine, but just need a recoding? I've passed this thought along to the dealership, and will update you all on what they say. If my car is just in need of proper FSC coding to bring back BMW Apps functionality, instead of a whole new Combox, how long of a process is that - the recoding that is? One afternoon's worth of work?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Technic,

I'm glad one of our resident gurus has chimed in...though I of course appreciate everyone's contributions thus far.

So, is it your thought that my Combox may be functionally fine, but just need a recoding? I've passed this thought along to the dealership, and will update you all on what they say. If my car is just in need of proper FSC coding to bring back BMW Apps functionality, instead of a whole new Combox, how long of a process is that - the recoding that is? One afternoon's worth of work?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
If it is a matter of loading just the 6NR FSC then it should be a matter of minutes. If it is a matter of bringing the whole car up to an updated SW version then it will take hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
help

See if this help.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...f6RziQxD5qX5o=

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Your post have nothing to do with this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If it is a matter of loading just the 6NR FSC then it should be a matter of minutes. If it is a matter of bringing the whole car up to an updated SW version then it will take hours.
Dropped it off yesterday at Noon. Tried to see if they could feed through the 6NR FSC enabling codes to see if that would do the trick. But they were busy and could not work on it right away. So I left it overnight and should have it back today with full functionality. I'll post an update asap.

Technic...my CA (with whom I'm still dealing with through this), as soon as I arrived yesterday, said they'd already "sent a flash" to my Combox and it responded right away, leaving them to believe it's not a bad Combox unit. Do you have any idea what he means by that? Can they remotely connect to my car without it being at the dealership?

Thanks all...
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*

Last edited by Ackrite; 03-20-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Dropped it off yesterday at Noon. Tried to see if they could pull a tech off another job and feed through the 6NR FSC enabling codes to see if that would do the trick. But they were supposedly "slammed" and could not. So I left it overnight and should have it back today with full functionality. I'll post an update asap.

Technic...my CA (with whom I'm still dealing with through this), as soon as I arrived yesterday, said they'd already "sent a flash" to my Combox and it responded right away, leaving them to believe it's not a bad Combox unit. Do you have any idea what he means by that? Can they remotely connect to my car without it being at the dealership?

Thanks all...
Being the Combox the Telematics version then it is possible to "ping" it from information remotely thru the BMW Service system.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #20
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

The saga continues...

Just off the phone with my CA, who is in touch with the service Foreman. They're saying they've never seen this situation before and are further stumped because there are no service bulletins posted to their intranet mentioning this issue. They want to reflash the entire car...is that really necessary? Could that introduce any adverse effects?

Technic - how were dealerships notified of the FSC enabling code "retrofit" if you will for Option 6NR late last year? Any specific SB number?

Thanks...
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep

All is well in ConnectedDrive / BMW Apps land. The updates they sent through made my "BMW Assist" iDrive menu item change to "ConnectedDrive" and all features including PlugIn, Facebook, Web Radio and Pandora, etc. all work flawlessly. They were also able to update both Media and Telephone Combox software to version 3.5.4.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice and gave me some intelligence with which to share with my dealership.
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #22
steelersfan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Outstanding. Glad they were able to get you fixed up.