E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bigger turbos for 335i?

03-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #23
Tom DeArmond
Alias
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe AW/Coral

Correct, turbos are made by mitsubishi
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 10:32 PM   #24
335boosted2Dmax
Banned
Rep
Drives: Boosted

Theres alot of testing that needs to go on with the 335i in order to truely know the potential of this car, and no one even knows how long the car would last running at max PSI with upgraded ECU's on stock turbos. Also if you want true power from this car most likely companys will be coming out with a BIG SINGLE TURBO for the highest amount of horsepower and torque. Normally big and normally stronger turbos last longer than 2 smaller ones.

Also if you are going with Turbo upgrades then you will definitely need to beef up the cooling capabilites aka a larger intercooler, oil cooler and possibble radiator and meth/alcohol.

Plus no one knows what the fueling system can handle without the engine runing too lean at the same extent and blowing up.......

There is just TOO much speculation right now, but don't get me wrong I love to speculate the true possible power of this car and what levels can be reached:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #25
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

I bet Shiv knows the duty cycle of the injectors. He must have investigated this during his research. Has anyone seen him comment about the injector duty cycle? I haven't seen it if he has commented about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #26
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrM View Post
I bet Shiv knows the duty cycle of the injectors. He must have investigated this during his research. Has anyone seen him comment about the injector duty cycle? I haven't seen it if he has commented about it.
From the Procede FAQ:

"Q:Since BMW tuned the engine for 8.5 lbs of boost, and the direct injectors are rated for 3000psi, isn't the additional boost from XEDE tuning going to "stress out" the injectors? Are there any long term tests out there to show that the XEDE system doesn't hurt the injectors?
A: I'm not sure how you can stress out a solenoid other than subjecting it to too high of fuel pressure or running it static/wide open too often. But for what it's worth, we don't run any higher fuel pressures that stock with the XEDE. Nor do we run the injectors static."
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #27
bhvrdr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
From the Procede FAQ:

"Q:Since BMW tuned the engine for 8.5 lbs of boost, and the direct injectors are rated for 3000psi, isn't the additional boost from XEDE tuning going to "stress out" the injectors? Are there any long term tests out there to show that the XEDE system doesn't hurt the injectors?
A: I'm not sure how you can stress out a solenoid other than subjecting it to too high of fuel pressure or running it static/wide open too often. But for what it's worth, we don't run any higher fuel pressures that stock with the XEDE. Nor do we run the injectors static."

That doesnt mention anything about the capacity of the injectors with regards to duty cycle. That would be good information to know. Anyone know the injection window and times people are getting now?

cheers! Mike
      03-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #28
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The turbos are so integrated with the manifolds that you will need custom exhaust manifolds to use bigger turbos......
That is in case that you get physically bigger turbos but there are at least two step ups on getting bigger turbo compressor and turbine wheels without having to change the core.

You also have the option of getting the turbo ported and polished and also to upgrade the waste gate flapper and waste gate solenoid.

I haven't read much on the stock BMW 335i turbos but I am guessing they are in the same category of the 9bs from the 3000GT VR4s, so I am guessing around 250-270cfm stock and upgradable to about 360-370cfm.

my .2c

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #29
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddiemac View Post
One should be able to find other mitsubishi turbos center cartridges and insert them into the stock exhaust housings (which are integrated with the manifolds). I'd say it is quite possible to have bolt on turbo upgrades with the stock manifold/exhaust housings.
I totally agree with you and I know for a fact it is the way to go for an intermediate power/performance before you jump into custom turbokit upgrades which I am guessing they wouldn't have that anytime soon.
As per the stock turbos I am sure that either turbochargers .com or Forced performance or deadbolt enterprises will offer an upgrade very very soon if they don't have one yet.

I am more concern on the tuning issues more than finding a replacement turbo.

my .2c

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #30
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhvrdr View Post
That doesnt mention anything about the capacity of the injectors with regards to duty cycle. That would be good information to know. Anyone know the injection window and times people are getting now?

cheers! Mike
Mike, that is a excellent question, I am sure the duty cycle from the factory is around 65-80% but the moment you raise the boost the margin decreases and that is why I am after putting a methanol kit on the BMW so that I can utilize the max of the stock turbo and injectors.

I have been running stock injectors on my Evo despite I was running at 28psi on stock turbo thanks to the methanol. The BMW 335i turbos should be capable of running still 13-14psi with a methanol kit before having to run bigger injectors. Unfortunately this whole thing about this engine, boost and injectors cycle is soo new that we are in a "learning/research/development" mode.

.2c

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #31
DrM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Blue E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Mike, that is a excellent question, I am sure the duty cycle from the factory is around 65-80% but the moment you raise the boost the margin decreases and that is why I am after putting a methanol kit on the BMW so that I can utilize the max of the stock turbo and injectors.

I have been running stock injectors on my Evo despite I was running at 28psi on stock turbo thanks to the methanol. The BMW 335i turbos should be capable of running still 13-14psi with a methanol kit before having to run bigger injectors. Unfortunately this whole thing about this engine, boost and injectors cycle is soo new that we are in a "learning/research/development" mode.

.2c

Carlos
I asked Vishnu about the injector duty cycle. They believe that the injector duty cycle is about 80-85% with the PROcede and an aftermarket exhaust. So, there is some room but not a lot.

Also, remember that the fuel system runs at 3000 psi. It may be a while before we can find replacement injectors.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #32
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

My 2 cents.

Add direct port NOS 15 hp per cylinder and gain 90 extra hp.

and at the same time the NOS will cool down the exhaust side of things, this way making it possible to run and run and run the car hard more
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #33
andrew20195
Private
Rep
Drives: On Foot

Quote:
I asked Vishnu about the injector duty cycle. They believe that the injector duty cycle is about 80-85% with the PROcede and an aftermarket exhaust. So, there is some room but not a lot.

Also, remember that the fuel system runs at 3000 psi. It may be a while before we can find replacement injectors.
Ah, interesting... there might be another 10% duty cycle left in the stock injectors before they go static after tuning + exhaust.

I'm wondering if the injectors are modified (or even better, off the shelf) diesel injectors that were supplied according to BMW specs. If so, it shouldn't be too hard to find an injector upgrade designed for higher flow applications.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #34
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep

Quote:

Wow, that is going to hinder any future improvements on the performance of the car. I am wondering where is actually the system reaching the 3000psi.
Basicly that is like saying bye bye to walbro fuel pumps and having to get more custome built fuel pumps that could pump that kind of pressure.

As per the duty cycle, thank for the information, I still strongly believe that a water/methanol/alcohol system would frezze that cycle percentage allowing you to play with a greater margin of boost without compromising the replacement of the injectors yet.

Again, this is all theory, the engine is too new, there are very basic mods for the car and we are all in "learning mode"

Carlos
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Wow, that is going to hinder any future improvements on the performance of the car. I am wondering where is actually the system reaching the 3000psi.
Basicly that is like saying bye bye to walbro fuel pumps and having to get more custome built fuel pumps that could pump that kind of pressure.

As per the duty cycle, thank for the information, I still strongly believe that a water/methanol/alcohol system would frezze that cycle percentage allowing you to play with a greater margin of boost without compromising the replacement of the injectors yet.

Again, this is all theory, the engine is too new, there are very basic mods for the car and we are all in "learning mode"

Carlos
Thanks for the information below Carlos.

The n54 engine is what BMW is calling direct injection gen 2. The injectors are piezo based versus selenoid. The fuel is atomized and actually doesn't touch the cylinder walls / piston head, unlike "gen 1".

I think in addition to the funky manifolds, the finding these gen 2 injectors will be the challenge to upgrade this car.
      03-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #36
superman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i silver

I have come from owning a wrx and now own a legacy gt, Im hoping to get one of these 335i bad boys sometime. Anyways from my experience, if a car can push over 350 whp w/o much other than a tune and exhaust, then stock the thing has alot of potential. Do you guys even know what you need to do, to say an sti to do that. Try new turbo, intercooler, injectors, tune, exhaust. Youre looking at alot of money. Bigger turbos on this car would prb produce more lag, and yes more power. I am guessing that you would need to do al what people say, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, etc for this. You would probably be looking at 7k to do that, and not to say a custom tune would be nice to add to that. I know they have procede for this car, but I would like to see custom tunes, sti and evos do it all the time. yes it takes learning of the car, but in the end the cars run so much better with custom tunes. You guys are looking at big hp numbers, bmw is made more for handling and overall driving experience, not straight hp numbers. You want to build a straight line beast. Buy an american car with an v8 and run 800 hp. Man yoyu guys have brand new nice cars, do you really want to risk blowing a motor or tranny? If I had this car, I would love just to do the procede and maybe some suspension work, and enjoy the thing, unless I had money to blow, and didnt care what happened to the car, then maybe new turbo, but remember you pay to play. But anyways new turbos would be interesting, if they could make it be reliable on the car.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #37
BMW_E90
Major
Rep
Drives: 325i

i think if it wasn't for the tuning then turbo upgrade would be much easier.. arent they still trying to crack down how to get the 325/330 to be tuned? if only bmw's were easy to tune like hondas, ill be boosted already..