E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Teaser: It's a wonderful Life

09-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #45
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsig View Post
10 days really isnt enough is it?....
maybe it is I duno..... But 10 days hasnt been enough for me to tell if I like the JB3 or not.

My point is a test drive program would be nice... If the procede was better for me I'd buy it... Im not looking for a joyride..... Just an honest comparison on MY 2009.5.... Id have to sell my JB3 o be able to afford it, but whatever.

Right now the JB3 is giving me a partial throttle surging. To terry's credit he is helping me with it, but its irritating...

I think there is somethign different with my 2009.5 car. There arent many of us out there with 2009.5's.

I'll be honest... I went with the JB3 becasuse shiv never once answered a PM, and the guy that works for him who did, gave me nothing but a sales pitch instead of answering my questions....

Guess I'm just not "one of the boys".
I'm sorry you felt that way. Unfortunately, most of my time is spent documenting/testing/tuning which gives me close to no time to actually work the phones personally. If you are unsatisfied with the info given to you by one of our sales guys, you can ask to either talk to me or Dustin (our head tech guy). It's really a catch 22 in a way. The PROcede is where it is today because of how much time I set aside for actual testing/tuning. We don't play follow the leader which is why we are always a few steps ahead of the game. The downside to that is my lack of availability when it comes to answering questions on the phone personally. I certainly do at times as many people on this forum can attest to. But when I'm in the middle of testing, I'm pretty much a hermit and spend my entire day on I-5 burning though tanks of gas.

As for testing driving a PROcede car, PM me if you are still interested and we can figure something out.

Regards,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #46
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
2/10th of a second is pretty quick

Shiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post
as they should be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
the 6MT's might end up being a little quicker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
+10000

shiv
6MT owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post

Long Live MT!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #47
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-R Yo! View Post
I'm stuck between PROcede Rev II or JB3. I still don't know which one to get. Both look great and make about the same power on a stock car.

Hey guys you can clear a code on PROcede but you need a BT scan for the JB3 to clear it, right? My car is 2009.7.
That is correct, but keep in mind clearing codes or even just reading the code numbers doesn't do you much good. To solve the problem you often need the freeze frame data to determine why the code was thrown in the first place. Also the BT lets you read/delete/datalog codes without running any wires in to the car, and lets you scan the car with your tune removed to be 100% sure its clean before dropping off. And the whole code management business is just a small fraction of what you can do with the BT. It's an awesome product and I highly recommend you get one even if you decide on the Proceed.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #48
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
That is correct, but keep in mind clearing codes or even just reading the code numbers doesn't do you much good. To solve the problem you often need the freeze frame data to determine why the code was thrown in the first place. Also the BT lets you read/delete/datalog codes without running any wires in to the car, and lets you scan the car with your tune removed to be 100% sure its clean before dropping off. And the whole code management business is just a small fraction of what you can do with the BT. It's an awesome product and I highly recommend you get one even if you decide on the Proceed.

Mike

I'm glad Mike recommends purchasing the BT Tool with the PROcede. Because I don't. The logging on the PROcede is not only faster, it's also easier to interpret and manipulate. Due to my tuning/testing, I think my diagnostic needs are probably greater than 99.9% of the people on this forum. Yet I haven't used my BT Tool in 4 months since we incorporated CAN logging/code reading/clearing into the PROcede. If I don't need it, it is unlikely that any of our customers do. Especially considering the low frequency of code tripping.

Snapshot data can be useful I suppose. And when the demand is there (and we don't have more important/useful things to do first), it can easily be implemented into the PROcede software. When the PROcede request code data, the DME spits back a whole chunk of info for interpretation (code numbers, frequency, snapshot data of other parameters, etc,.) Right now, we are just looking at the code(s) but that is easy enough to change.

Not sure why running a USB cable through the firewall is a bad thing. It takes less than 2 minutes to do. But I suppose if one was really adverse to the idea, they could just read the code directly from under the hood.

The BIGGEST advantage of having this diagnostic tool/reader feature as a part of the tune (instead of a separate add-on) is that we use the data from it for the tune itself. This way, the tune is able to monitor everything (oil temp, water temp, throttle opening, AFR, fuel trims, etc,.) and adjust the tune accordingly. This enhances safety and, now, drivability as well.

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-03-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #49
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
and lets you scan the car with your tune removed to be 100% sure its clean before dropping off.
Mike
How about just clear the codes with PROcede and remove the tune...isn't that 100% clean? I suppose if you cleared the codes and went out driving some more before removing...there may be some codes???
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #50
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335lvr View Post
How about just clear the codes with PROcede and remove the tune...isn't that 100% clean?
Yes it is 100% clean. Assuming one doesn't do something silly like trying to start the engine with the DME unplugged

If one wanted to be perfectly safe, just unplug the battery during the removal process.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #51
happy4nk8er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

BT is useful tool for all the other modules on our cars if you are a fix it yourself person though.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #52
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Ive driven a JB3 car.. It didnt act like mine is acting.. Thats my point man.. These things I think are doing different things with different softwares on the ECU.

My point is there arent many 2009.5 335i's running a tune. So I dont know if Im alone in this or not.
2009.5 here. After loading these beta maps, my car drives better than my 27.x 07 did. Even before these maps, I never experienced the surging you speak of. Give the REV II a shot. You won't be disappointed.
      09-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #53
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

I sent shiv a PM....

Im gonna post some BT logs I took in a seperate thread... maybe you guys can see what Im talking about.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #54
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I sent shiv a PM....

Im gonna post some BT logs I took in a seperate thread... maybe you guys can see what Im talking about.
I already believe I know the cause of your partial throttle surging. And it's not exactly an uncommon problem with tunes that incorporate a lagfix of sorts. It's caused by running high boost control DC% at cruise and not being able to trim it our sufficiently when transitioning onto boost. This results in a oscillation event/surging. The PROcede solves this by adjusting the DC% downwards quickly and as low as it needs to go to prevent that event. In most cases, this is lower than the stock DC%. We can do this because we actually monitor and recreate the Wastgate DC drive signal an not just pull it to ground like the JB3. As a result, we can drop DC% below stock levels whereas the JB3 can't without a complete hardware redesign. Of course, I'm sure I will get flames for revealing this.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #55
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

logs are up in a seperate thread.

I havent heard of many people with this issue.

I sent you a PM.

Last edited by Borsig; 09-03-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0