E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Milvs questions

08-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Milvs questions

Hate to bring up an old thread, but MILVS should be kept at the forefront anyway. Plus not a lot of traffic on the 128i side. I'm planning to do mine in about a month. Gathering all my parts now, and plan to take a week off for these and some other stuff. Couple of questions.

1. Is the spring compressor the best way to go with this? I would hate to screw up a retaining block bolt.

2. I already have my tune ready. But does anyone know if Bob has a dyno setup at his new shop? I'm maybe 3 hours from him, and would be willing to dyno my car with my current mods without the Milvs tune loaded just to get a baseline. I'd even go so far as having Bob actually dyno tune my car if he thinks he could get better numbers than his "off the shelf" MILVS tune, and we could see what she outs down with just milvs on top of my other mods as I'm nearly FBO.

3. I wonder if the same holds true for MILVS and a supercharger as they did for their turbo cars? I think the stock ESS pulley is about 5 psi. On the turbo cars, they were able to make the same power on 2psi less if I read correctly.

I wonder how much more the Milvs could affect that mod. We may be able to have a little play room for more power that could be safer than just turning up the boost for these stock blocks!

Thanks!
      08-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
dwashy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
1. Is the spring compressor the best way to go with this? I would hate to screw up a retaining block bolt.
I was able to do it pretty simply without a spring compressor, just gotta take your time and be diligent. They came with great instructions. If I had messed up, I bet I would have needed a spring compressor. If you want the peace of mind maybe you could rent one
N52 | +1mm MILVs | Catless | 3-Stage IM | BPC Tune | 3.64 diff | AirLift Performance 3H | M3 Control Arms | SPL Parts BumpSteer Correction | UUC Evo 3 Shifter | CCV Delete | Valeo SMF Flywheel | CSF Aluminum Rad | VAC Front Hub Extenders | BMS Cowl Filter Delete

Last edited by dwashy; 08-13-2019 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: piece -> peace
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      08-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

1. I think the spring compressor method with the real tool should be the official method. It holds up better across the applicable motors - the N55 and S55 Valvetronic is oriented differently and I think it's safer to do it with the tool.

2. I follow Bob on Instagram and he does have a dyno installed. @stagefp

3. There's still not a ton of MILVS data on boosted motors. But it should suffice to say that 5% of a 400hp boosted motor is a lot more than 5% of a 250hp NA motor. The BPC turbo N52 saw a big jump in power after the MILVS install but there were other mods that were done at the same time. Between the boost of the N55/S55 and their DMEs, it will probably be easier to notice that one of those motors makes the same power while doing less (ie less boost and ignition).

I've talked to Marty about some MILVS for my 335 but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. You should hit it, I'd love to see more datapoints.
Rmtt8209.00
      08-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Hate to bring up an old thread, but MILVS should be kept at the forefront anyway. Plus not a lot of traffic on the 128i side. I'm planning to do mine in about a month. Gathering all my parts now, and plan to take a week off for these and some other stuff. Couple of questions.
You could've. No harm done.

Quote:
The best way - possibly since BMW recommends doing it that way.
However, with that said, I swapped mine with just washers. It worked just fine. Just be mindful about number of turns, and you should have no issues whatsoever if you decide to use washer approach.

Quote:
2. I already have my tune ready. But does anyone know if Bob has a dyno setup at his new shop? I'm maybe 3 hours from him, and would be willing to dyno my car with my current mods without the Milvs tune loaded just to get a baseline. I'd even go so far as having Bob actually dyno tune my car if he thinks he could get better numbers than his "off the shelf" MILVS tune, and we could see what she outs down with just milvs on top of my other mods as I'm nearly FBO.
Best gains are always with custom tune. He would be able to tailor the tune to your specs. OTS tune is still rather good. But, if you have a choice, desire, and funds, go with custom.

Quote:
3. I wonder if the same holds true for MILVS and a supercharger as they did for their turbo cars? I think the stock ESS pulley is about 5 psi. On the turbo cars, they were able to make the same power on 2psi less if I read correctly.
Most likely. However, I don't recall seeing anyone running SC + MILVS, so it is hard to tell what effect it will have, or how much of it.

Quote:
I wonder how much more the Milvs could affect that mod. We may be able to have a little play room for more power that could be safer than just turning up the boost for these stock blocks!
IIRC, someone managed to push ESS SC up to 7psi with smaller pulley. But once again - I don't recall anyone doing SC + MILVS. Plus, at higher boost, you might run into temperature issues and might need intercooler, which would be very hard to fit.

Quote:
Thanks!
You welcome
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      08-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Spring compressor is easiest. I have done this on the bench on a throwaway head, and on my own car. I wouldn't personally use the washer method on a car I needed to rely on.

I tried just one in the car after doing it on the bench with washers and decided it was too risky. Some of my supports just wouldn't budge even with 2 washers!

There is a 3rd way which I have posted on YouTube - alternative MILVS install method. I was inspired by a guy in South Africa that repaired the Valvetronic on his N43 with his shoelaces, lol.

Basically you just need a 10mm wrench and some strong chord. You remove the tension from the springs from below, and then you can unbolt the supports without worry of damage.

But you'd better have some muscle - if you wear your sister's skinny pants to be "ironic", it's probably not going to end well.

It could also work well with a helper, which I didn't have. But then at least they could use both arms to pull on the rope while taking sips of pumpkin spice latte. :P
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8209.00
      08-14-2019, 03:43 AM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Spring compressor is easiest. I have done this on the bench on a throwaway head, and on my own car. I wouldn't personally use the washer method on a car I needed to rely on.

I tried just one in the car after doing it on the bench with washers and decided it was too risky. Some of my supports just wouldn't budge even with 2 washers!

There is a 3rd way which I have posted on YouTube - alternative MILVS install method. I was inspired by a guy in South Africa that repaired the Valvetronic on his N43 with his shoelaces, lol.

Basically you just need a 10mm wrench and some strong chord. You remove the tension from the springs from below, and then you can unbolt the supports without worry of damage.

But you'd better have some muscle - if you wear your sister's skinny pants to be "ironic", it's probably not going to end well.

It could also work well with a helper, which I didn't have. But then at least they could use both arms to pull on the rope while taking sips of pumpkin spice latte. :P
I've watched your video. Nice! I believe I have enough "ass" to do it. I installed my rear diff by myself on jack stands while on my back.

Held it in place and got my wife to slide in one mounting bolt, then I held it in place while installing the rest.
      08-14-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
1. I think the spring compressor method with the real tool should be the official method. It holds up better across the applicable motors - the N55 and S55 Valvetronic is oriented differently and I think it's safer to do it with the tool.

2. I follow Bob on Instagram and he does have a dyno installed. @stagefp

3. There's still not a ton of MILVS data on boosted motors. But it should suffice to say that 5% of a 400hp boosted motor is a lot more than 5% of a 250hp NA motor. The BPC turbo N52 saw a big jump in power after the MILVS install but there were other mods that were done at the same time. Between the boost of the N55/S55 and their DMEs, it will probably be easier to notice that one of those motors makes the same power while doing less (ie less boost and ignition).

I've talked to Marty about some MILVS for my 335 but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. You should hit it, I'd love to see more datapoints.

I have no social media. Weird I know. But with the type of work I do, the last thing I want to do when I get home is open my laptop or tablet. I'm only on here and the Corvette Forum.

I paid BPC for my 3SI tune. Shortly after Bob left, I got in touch with him through one of the members on here. I had to buy the entire package again because the cable was locked to my car.

So since I was one of his first customers at the new place, he gave me free upgrades. So I got a free header tune when I installed them, and then a free milvs tune.

So paying him for a custom dyno tune I think would be worth it as I've saved around $200 on the upgraded tools.

I figured I would install them, drive up, dyno the car with the 3SI and AA Headers, then have him do his magic for the Milvs and tying everything together.

Of course I would post the results here...and on the 128i side as there isn't much data over there.

I'm curious as to what it will make anyway.

As far as the supercharger, that may come later. I just figured that the Milvs may make enough power on the stock pulley to warrant not having to swap it out and deal with the issues that come with it.

Something like milvs and stock 5.5 psi pulley maybe making as much as a 7 psi pulley without Milvs.

Just randomly thinking here so forgive my rambling.
      08-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
But then at least they could use both arms to pull on the rope while taking sips of pumpkin spice latte. :P
So many questions here...

How does one sip late while pulling on rope?
What kind of late was it? What kind of coffee was used? What kind of milk?
How big was the cup?
Was it homemade? Was it purchased? If purchased, from where?
Is latte magically floating to be able to sip it without hands?
If so, what is making it float? Liquid? Cup? How did you solve for precision of late being poured into mouth?
Who is feeding them the latte? Does the helper have 3rd arm? But they can't have 3rd arm if they are using both arms.
So many more questions....

My head hurts....
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      08-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Think I will shoot Bob a quick email and ask how much I'm figuratively leaving on the table hp/tq wise with a custom tune vs. his off the shelf tune.

He's done so many remote tunes, I'm sure he has it dialed in pretty close.

If that's the case, I could dyno somewhere around me for comparison and save the driving time.

I mean if we're talking 10+hp.....then I think that's worth the 3 hour drive. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth it especially with how they have the roads torn up for this Interstate project in SC/NC.
      08-26-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Is Bob still in Raleigh or did he move elsewhere in North Carolina?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #11
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSB328iM View Post
Is Bob still in Raleigh or did he move elsewhere in North Carolina?
I think he is still within 20 minutes of the last place.