E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > WinKFP - simple and big problems

07-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

WinKFP - simple and big problems

Hi everyone, I would like to mention that I got a good hand at coding (Inpa, Ncs's) and can install/REinstall different "packs" of Bmw Standard tools in under few minutes, understand small mistakes when programs talking to me, etc
I decided to update few modules on my own car and faced EXTREME difficulties with WinKFP. Little bit of background:

Ive learned and practiced coding on "Wildcatcrazy" pack of Standard tools from this thread -
DIY: Setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 on Windows XP > 10

Since Feb of this year ive tried "Bimmergeeks" website pack and i really REALLY like this pack, I got pointed out to them in this thread (Post 592) -
E Series DATEN Requests BUT for some reason only their WinKFP cannot be used (Vin button is FADED out) and my POST #677 was unanswered in this thread!
EDIT: Searched and read how to use OPTIONS in Winkfp using checkmarks, now VIN is there!

This is how it all started: i found that i need to update my RAD2 in order to do not have this issue that i have for a year now -
09 LCi STEREO unit not powering up in the morning (Post #10, on TSB)

And then i decided not to do update on RAD2 first and practice on something that i might "NOT need" and updated TEL/MULF module and made it almost a brick (PGStatus 12) Post 48 & 50 in this thread -
Programming status 12 after failed programming update - Posts about WinKFP are still not answered and im still debating if i should go to dealer, I should buy ICOM from China or I should disconnect, pullout of vehicle and code out TEL/MULF all together!
EDIT:Only now i know that any MOST related module need to be coded over ICOM B

Now, yesterday i update Daten (for E70, 60.1) and was trying to update ZBE (controller) module on my 2010 X5 and did a PGStatus 12 on it also, from first try with this error from WinKFP, programming took only 2-4 minutes and ive tried multiple times without success with different ways of updated Winkfp & different USB ports (3.0 and then 2.0)

Posting this 2 thread for my own reference, regarding updating problems with ZBE:
ZBE Update gone wrong
Winkfp error

Sooo, situation started to get out of hand with my two vehicles having issues now.

Questions:

#1 What are the steps of updating winkfp? If i do it through BMWStandard tools should i also do it like in this YouTube video on 2:00 time -
How to Update Datens And Import them to WINKFP

#2 I CANNOT find instruction of how to do an emergency flush with NFS or Winkfp EXPERT to recover at least ZBE! Please read post #11&12 with explanation of steps that ive done recently!

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 08-24-2018 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Impac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Anything that goes over Most Connect you need Icom
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Did you ever use the BMW Coding Tool that was included in the pkg to update the folders WinKFP uses with the daten? I use the Bimmergeeks software all the time, all of it, with no issues.

Last edited by LMB335IS; 07-25-2018 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Did you ever use the BMW Coding Tool that was included in the pkg to update the folders WinKFP uses with the daten? I use the Bimmergeeks software all the time, all of it, with no issues.
Yes, im very familiar how to update daten and Winkfp in Standard Tools program that comes with different packs!
In question #1 there is a link to youtube, do you also update WinKFP like shown there? After or Before Standard tools update??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impac View Post
Yes, i know that since few days ago!(

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 08-24-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtobebest View Post
Quote:
Yes, im very familiar how to update daten and Winkfp in Standard Tools program that comes with different packs!
In question #4 there is a link to youtube, do you also update WinKFP like shown there? After or Before Standard tools update??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impac View Post
Yes, i know that since few days ago!(
I update WinKFP using the coding tool exclusively. Bimmer geeks software has everything preloaded with the E89 files except for winKFP which I do after the intial install is final. If I change to a different series vehicle I update winKFP again with the correct series daten.

You probably have UIF write in comfort mode unchecked in configuration settings. That's why you don't see VIN
      07-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I update WinKFP using the coding tool exclusively. Bimmer geeks software has everything preloaded with the E89 files except for winKFP which I do after the intial install is final. If I change to a different series vehicle I update winKFP again with the correct series daten.

You probably have UIF write in comfort mode unchecked in configuration settings. That's why you don't see VIN
Thank you for explaining your way of "Update Datens" and for checkmark in configuration.
Ive unzipped standard tools and E70 60.1 Datens once again and did a fresh installation of Bimmergeeks soft, It looks like WinKFP now is all set up, but i don't want to update any more modules and trying to restore only ZBE.
I did tried to program it in Comfort mode without sucess again, still same error:

I still have programming status 12 in ZBE PGStatus inpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
In tool32 under module *.prg file run the job:
flash_programmier_status_lesen
And past results here...
I have:

Code:
apiJob("ZBE_60_2","flash_programmier_status_lesen","","")

Satz : 0
  OBJECT                          = zbe_60_2
  SAETZE                          = 1
  JOBNAME                         = flash_programmier_status_lesen
  VARIANTE                        = ZBE_60_2
  JOBSTATUS                       = 
  UBATTCURRENT                    = -1
  UBATTHISTORY                    = -1
  IGNITIONCURRENT                 = -1
  IGNITIONHISTORY                 = -1
Satz : 1
  JOB_STATUS                      = OKAY
  FLASH_PROGRAMMIER_STATUS_TEXT   = Programm nicht vorhanden oder nicht vollständig
  FLASH_PROGRAMMIER_STATUS        = 12                00 0C  ..                    
  _TEL_AUFTRAG                    = 5 Bytes
    0000 : 82 67 F1 31 0A                                     ?gñ1.
  _TEL_ANTWORT                    = 7 Bytes
    0000 : 83 F1 67 71 0A 0C 62                               ?ñgq..b

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 08-24-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Impac
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I dont think you are going to be able to flash ZBE with regular obd cable, i’ve always used Icom for that.

Looking forward for update, if you get it done let us know how
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Irrelevant post, since I got a hang on updating modules and setting up comfort mode in WinKFP!

I have few ECU's laying around (CAS, HKL & JBBF) so i decided to test if current setup of Bimmergeeks is actually set up properly...
I always thought that my charger (Century K3149-1) should of been industrial grade but for some reason it can push amps easily 2-20-40-80 but it not giving voltage as easily but...

WinKFP => Comfort mode => ZUSB => 7230669 => HKL70=> OK => Update ECU => HKL70 => OK => Enter VIN => DONE => Prog. ZB-Update => Program Current ZBNr.? => Yes => Program ECU => OK

It worked !)) First smile on my face in over 1&1/2 week period

Can somebody confirm that this CONFIGURATION will work for most *NOT MOST RELATED modules? And that
ZUSB number 7335274 is the latest one for 2010 BMW X5 HKL???

Strangely enough, just before programming(Updating) HKL i coded (Remote/Dash - tail gate open/close)
SCH_FBD
SCH_TOEHKI
TASTER_FBD
^ all to "aktiv" and after programming module with WinKFP settings were still there!

Plugging my original that is still in the car HKL module - works again!)
BUT it updated date and VIN but NOT firmware, it still shows 7230669 and WinKFP update module auto selects this number! I CAN select "Choose Custom File" and choose latest one 7335274 but im not sure if its OK, maybe my hardware in HKL is not supporting this number!

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 08-24-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Looks like you're getting there. FWIW here are my winKFP settings that I use. Try them and see if you still get the same errors, you may need fast baud rate.

You should have the FindECU utility, it's included in the software. Refer to the screen print and the icon my cursor is on. If you open you'll see that screen and just input the info and it will spit out any updated ZB #s. I don't have the daten downloaded for your series so I can't tell you one way or the other.
Attached Images

07-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks LMB335iS for your help!
Still looking for a guidance on how to recover ZBE from status 12
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

All right, here is an update. I still haven't purchase ICOM clone since still looking for a proven to work ICOM B adapter! Maybe someone in Canada can rent me one!

Meanwhile ive successfully installed and tried ISTA-P 3.63.2; 3.59.4; 3.55.0 and 3.54 versions (one at a time) in order to find one that can ACTUALLY perform SINGLE module programming WITHOUT success!(
All of this ^ versions are adding something on top of my problematic ZBE, my Dr seat and Gear Selector was switched before and i guess to a wrong hardware. This problem stil exists and is not answered to many people, here is example - ISTA P asking for replacement of a working module expert mode doesn't help

Anyway, I disconnect completely modules that ISTA-P want me to replace and did went ahead and updated multiple modules including DDE with success with it but even ISTA-P (used v3.59.4 in this case) was unable to restore ZBE controller showing me following error on final report:

Funny thing is TRSVC (outside cameras) programmed good but did error on coding. It doesn't really bother me since it is updated, it is still work and there is no errors in ISTA-D or INPA

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 08-24-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Also, ive tried to use an EXPERT mode in WinKFP to flash ZBE but if i follow this guys description - WinKFP Expert Mode Programming Configuration, they stating to move .0da and .0pa files from module folder (ZBE2 in my case) to a DEVELOP folder which Winkfp expert mode working directly, BUT if I open zbe2.DAT file with note I cannot see .0da file number since its all zeros’s (0000000.0da).

I have 60.1 datens and there is not a single 0000000.0da file anywhere on it never mind my ZBE2 folder

No matter how hard ive searched of random descriptions of expert mode, nobody mention what that means when .0da file is all zeros! SO, I went ahead and copied 9205177A.0pa file to DEVELOP folder did adjustments to COAPI.ini file like they mention and did Prog.Program

It did process the thing until 100% but came up with the same errors as in many times before:

…. Anybody?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

All right, i would like to close this thread with the outcome:
I was running between two platforms that i own E70 and E90, for each one of them you HAVE to set up WinKFP individually. Simply moving Laptop from one to another will result in errors and ProgrammingStatus 12.

To begin with i was experimenting with D-Can cable with "NOT IMPORTANT" blocks like Tailgate, Sunroof, CIC controller etc (in case of some kind of problem i could still use the car), this scenario "bricked" ZBE(E70) and MULF(E90) modules. I was using somewhat expensive D-Can cable from China that i got myself back in 2015 and it was doing its job of coping with BMWStandard tools just fine prior to this!

After reading and learning on my own mistakes ive got myself the cheapest ICOM Clone that I could of find, and strangly enough it was in Canada (LINK might be dead in the future, ebay shop name - "rcshop2011 (24067)")

I recovered ZBE with WinKFP simply in comfort mode in one minute. To recover MULF i had to larn EasyConnect utility and figure out how to lock Icom to MOST_Async interface, also ive used ICOM-B interface from Chinese Icom clone package that ive got (even tho that multiple people on different forums were saying that Clone B will most likely not work) It was done in something like 5-10 minutes, im not sure maybe i got myself a one of a kind good clone, if someone has experience i can take it all a part and provide clear pics for comparison of Clones

And the most important thing, that was KILLING me over ONE year now, i fixed my radio by rewriting (it had current version on it) firmware in MOSTGW + MASK/CC along with "Boostsectorupdate" checkmark in settings of WinKFP and STD/OBD (regular) setting in Easyconnect.

Im pretty sure D-Can cable could of NOT brick ZBE if I set up WinKFP properly and it probably program my Radio properly also because it is NOT on MOST ring, but D-Can would of never recover MULF units since it IS on MOST tho...

Here is my story. ICOM is the "HEAD" for everything!)
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2020, 02:35 AM   #14
cosmin49
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e70

Quote:
I was running between two platforms that i own E70 and E90, for each one of them you HAVE to set up WinKFP individually. Simply moving Laptop from one to another will result in errors and ProgrammingStatus 12.

To begin with i was experimenting with D-Can cable with "NOT IMPORTANT" blocks like Tailgate, Sunroof, CIC controller etc (in case of some kind of problem i could still use the car), this scenario "bricked" ZBE(E70) and MULF(E90) modules. I was using somewhat expensive D-Can cable from China that i got myself back in 2015 and it was doing its job of coping with BMWStandard tools just fine prior to this!

After reading and learning on my own mistakes ive got myself the cheapest ICOM Clone that I could of find, and strangly enough it was in Canada (LINK might be dead in the future, ebay shop name - "rcshop2011 (24067)")

I recovered ZBE with WinKFP simply in comfort mode in one minute. To recover MULF i had to larn EasyConnect utility and figure out how to lock Icom to MOST_Async interface, also ive used ICOM-B interface from Chinese Icom clone package that ive got (even tho that multiple people on different forums were saying that Clone B will most likely not work) It was done in something like 5-10 minutes, im not sure maybe i got myself a one of a kind good clone, if someone has experience i can take it all a part and provide clear pics for comparison of Clones

And the most important thing, that was KILLING me over ONE year now, i fixed my radio by rewriting (it had current version on it) firmware in MOSTGW + MASK/CC along with "Boostsectorupdate" checkmark in settings of WinKFP and STD/OBD (regular) setting in Easyconnect.

Im pretty sure D-Can cable could of NOT brick ZBE if I set up WinKFP properly and it probably program my Radio properly also because it is NOT on MOST ring, but D-Can would of never recover MULF units since it IS on MOST tho...

Hi, I've done exactly the same mistakes as you did and now my ZBE is dead. Can you post the recovery process please? I only have Dcan cable so no ICom. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #15
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmin49 View Post
Quote:

Hi, I've done exactly the same mistakes as you did and now my ZBE is dead. Can you post the recovery process please? I only have Dcan cable so no ICom. Thanks
Looks like you'll need to find someone with icom cable to re flash it. If it's the same case as OP, your module is not bricked, it's just stuck in programming abort since the cable could not flash it. Bricking a module would mean that the module has 0 communication with the car meaning that the only way to repair it would be to take that module out and have it sent out to get repaired and bench flashed. I don't recommend purchasing an icom cable if you only plan to use it once so just look around your area, see if anyone has one you can borrow or have them do it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
cosmin49
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e70

ZBE recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Looks like you'll need to find someone with icom cable to re flash it. If it's the same case as OP, your module is not bricked, it's just stuck in programming abort since the cable could not flash it. Bricking a module would mean that the module has 0 communication with the car meaning that the only way to repair it would be to take that module out and have it sent out to get repaired and bench flashed. I don't recommend purchasing an icom cable if you only plan to use it once so just look around your area, see if anyone has one you can borrow or have them do it themselves.
Hi all, sorted mine with D-Kan cable. Apparently Dcan cable has a bug in the firmware but updating that sorted my problem. If anyone have the same issue PM me and I'll be happy to help. It's a simple DIY wich involves a cheao AVR Programmer. thanks all
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
Breex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i E91

Hello!

I have a 320i E91 LCI with MSD81.2.

I would like a ECU update make. I can the Winkfp use, but i have a question.

MSD81.2 use 316i, 318i, 320i etc... If i make a update, where from i know the ZB Number which version? Or engine version (and calibration data) is not in this update?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #18
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breex View Post
Hello!

I have a 320i E91 LCI with MSD81.2.

I would like a ECU update make. I can the Winkfp use, but i have a question.

MSD81.2 use 316i, 318i, 320i etc... If i make a update, where from i know the ZB Number which version? Or engine version (and calibration data) is not in this update?
First to to INPA and go to functional jobs > UIF and write down the ZB number for the DME

Open winkfp, press comfort mode then F1 find ecu and type in the ZB number you wrote down for the DME in INPA. It'll then pop up with a box and on the left hand side it'll show you what ecu you'll choose in Winkfp.

Open Winkfp again, press F1 comfort mode, F3 update ECU and choose the ecu it showed above. Then press F4 enter vin. F8 done and F3 prog zb update. Winkfp will automatically determine what the newest ZB number to choose is and update it that way.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #19
Breex
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i E91

Quote:
First to to INPA and go to functional jobs > UIF and write down the ZB number for the DME

Open winkfp, press comfort mode then F1 find ecu and type in the ZB number you wrote down for the DME in INPA. It'll then pop up with a box and on the left hand side it'll show you what ecu you'll choose in Winkfp.

Open Winkfp again, press F1 comfort mode, F3 update ECU and choose the ecu it showed above. Then press F4 enter vin. F8 done and F3 prog zb update. Winkfp will automatically determine what the newest ZB number to choose is and update it that way.
I undetstand this, but under MSD812 are 316i, 318i, 320i dataset also.

Where from know Winkfp, which need my ECU?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 10:07 PM   #20
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breex View Post
Quote:

I undetstand this, but under MSD812 are 316i, 318i, 320i dataset also.

Where from know Winkfp, which need my ECU?
I don't understand your question. Winkfp will automatically determine the correct software ZB to flash onto the car regardless of what model you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #21
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

It won't find files that it doesn't have .
I have a feeling a lot of the downloads are biased toward
US Gas cars and my not have the diesel and 4 cylinder
gas car files that a lot of people in Europe or the Rest of the
World need.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #22
Pyrofly
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Hi,
Thank you for continuously posting your situation. Your posts with "programming status 12" were the first ones for me to read after my failure with ECU DME flashing. Actually, the main issue with K+Dcan cable flashing is the bitrate drop while flashing.
You didn't mention the preferences of your PC port before or after flashing. I've read that this may be a critical issue while programming with cheap cables.
Anyway, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to flash with cheap cables from Ali. Icome has resolved your issues but in 2020 everyone can try also VX Diag SE adapter which is much cheaper than Icom but has some issues. I succeed in correcting my DME issues 2 days later after the 1st fail (my mistake - DME module has the same issues with programming status 12) and can't even imagine what did you feel with non-working ZBE module for over a year.
Appreciate 0