E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 E92 Top Mount Single Turbo

08-12-2019, 05:21 AM   #67
DiFFv1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i l 328xi l X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
It works as advertised. I never run out of fuel. The problem is running the ps2 above 22 psi creates way too much heat. Even with meth spray it's just too hot at those boost levels.
Thanks for the info. Ill take this into consideration
      10-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #68
sjc335i
Euro Union
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport Coupe

Been a while since I posted as I moved to a new state, but here's my essentially 7 month review of the DOCRACE kit.

I've driven this car everyday, in fact I drove it 900 miles to a new state. Keep in mind these are not easy miles. I beat the **** out of my car lol. When your turbo is this loud, everything that hears it wants to race. And believe me I usually give in and run it. With that being said, I have not had a SINGLE issue regarding the turbo kit. I've been running it on 92 octane the entire time and the power (around 530 whp or so) is adequate for the moment. Plus E85 is hard to come by where I live. I do plan on getting full E85 and turning it up more where I'm sure the N55 will be tested, but at the moment I'm satisfied.

I'll touch a couple key points that I'm sure people car about;

1. The kit itself
2. Reliability
3. Fitment
4. Performance
5. Support
6. Cost
7. Overall thoughts

1. So with my kit I got the 6266 ball bearing unit. I had it ceramic coated black and had the T51R mod done. If I was to do it again, I would do the same thing. If your gonna do it, do it right. Check all the boxes. It comes with everything you need, make sure you have the supporting bolt ons, as well as an upgraded LPFP. Port injection highly recommended

2. Like mentioned above, I've had no issues with reliability regarding the turbo. The motor too I went into this thinking maybe I've had problems but none so far. In regards to tranny I can only speak on the auto and it's fine. I'm guessing that would go before the motor, plans are to manual swap. Time will tell. It did melt my windshield washer reservoir but who gives a ****

3. I had my shop install it SVB in Santa Clara, and they are the best in town. From what he told me there was a couple aspects he had to get in contact with Doc over, but all was figured out. This is to be expected when going top mount, you may have to improvise a few things. Overall, it fit.

4. EPIC. My first drive, all those years of watching big turbo supras spool their turbos and I felt like I was living a dream. There is lag, obviously, but it is SO MUCH FUN. It just kicks you in the back and doesn't stop. I took it all the way up to well above 160 and it never broke a sweat. To think this is an entry level fueling setup makes me even more excited for the next step. At the end of the day, I'm not a racecar driver and I just wanted a fun car. This kit made what was already a quick car into a dream. The speed, the sound, the reactions. No better feeling then attracting crowds at a car meet because your turbo sounds like a jet

5. John who works at DocRace stayed in contact with me throughout the process and answered questions immediately. Kit took over a month which is to be expected as I was one of the first ones with their kit, if not the first (for the N55). No complaints here.

6. I guess if there is going to be a negative it will be here. It was expensive. Pure costs less than half as this. The kit with all the options was around $6,000. I bought a LPFP and a couple other loose ends for around $1,000 and then it was install which was around $3,000. He did do some preventative stuff while in their but I didn't bat an eye at the install cost. So you're looking at $10,000 just to get the kit installed for pump gas. Add a tune and some E and it's even more.

7. Is it worth it? Hell yes. This car is the whole package for me. The E92 is such a clean chassis with great support, adding a turbo that you can constantly here roaring under the hood WAITING to boost just completed it. I love my car, I love this kit and I would absolutely recommend it. If you have any questions message me here or on Instagram which I see more frequently. Happy boosting!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #69
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

This is incredible. I wonder if it could work on my e82 135i? I'm seriously considering a turbo upgrade soon, and agree with what you've said about the PS2. It's a super reliable turbo, but its limited in capability. Plus, the sound of the top mount
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #70
ghost135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc335i View Post
He did do some preventative stuff while in their but I didn't bat an eye at the install cost.
What was done preventatively? I talked to Wedge not long ago about a turbo upgrade and they recommended doing rod bearings as preventative maintenance since my engine is at 70k. Was this one of the things you did as well?The bearings are fine to my knowledge, but I'm going to do a blackstone labs oil analysis soon just to make sure. Might even do the bearings anyway regardless when I do the turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0