E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320 or 330D Touring ??

06-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #23
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW33 View Post
Dpf will be okay for around couple of years after a remap, give it time they soon start playing up when the egr fails or is failing.. I've had it on both n57 and m57 had the cars coming upto 6 years so I'm talking form experience and they are mainly sat on the motorway.
I've had a map on mine for 5 years, all sorts of driving including crawling in town to motorway miles, and mines been no problem. Keep up on maintenance including the egr and they are fine.

If you don't fancy the hastle of maintaining the egr, (they are a pain to clean) then as part tof your map have the egr function mapped out so it stays closed, no need to blank it off.

Last edited by Silver Streek; 06-16-2022 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #24
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Yes more or less unless there is another underlying issue..mine failed due to the egr, it was mapped and ran perfect for 4 years with the dpf in place.
So the same as without a remap then. If the DPF is being overloaded with soot, of course it clogs eventually. The way to stop that from happening is to make sure everything upstream of it is working properly, remap or no.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:19 AM   #25
BMW33
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
I've had a map on mine for 5 years, all sorts of driving including crawling in town to motorway miles, and mines been no problem. Keep up on maintenance including the egr and they are fine.

If you don't fancy the hastle of maintaining the egr, (they are a pain to clean) then as part tof your map have the egr function mapped out so it stays closed, no need to blank it off.
Fair enough.. but I always intended to remove if it gave me issues at any stage so that's exactly what I did when I started seeing error codes. An on the N57 they have some electronic part once that fails no amount of cleaning helps unless you replace it.

If I'm honnest since I've had it removed I'm around 3-4mpg better off zero smoke under load as it's a proper map done on a rolling road to suit the car no jerkiness or lags anymore that I felt previously at certain rev ranges, may be placebo but feels as though it pulls stronger mid range too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #26
BMW33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
So the same as without a remap then. If the DPF is being overloaded with soot, of course it clogs eventually. The way to stop that from happening is to make sure everything upstream of it is working properly, remap or no.
Yes agreed. 10k services an all filters strictly runs on BP thermos & temps done everything else ran perfect - so once it's time was up it came out and I'm better off for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #27
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Run whatever brand fuel you want; just add this to it if it's supermarket stuff:
https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/2-eh...e-booster.html
1 part in 1000ish.

Without that I get ~3mpg worse economy on supermarket fuel, and the engine sounds more clattery when you put your foot down. With it I can't tell the difference between supermarket and shell diesel. Adding it to shell diesel doesn't seem to do much, by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:50 AM   #28
BMW33
Private
Rep

Quote:
Run whatever brand fuel you want; just add this to it if it's supermarket stuff:
1 part in 1000ish.

Without that I get ~3mpg worse economy on supermarket fuel, and the engine sounds more clattery when you put your foot down. With it I can't tell the difference between supermarket and shell diesel. Adding it to shell diesel doesn't seem to do much, by comparison.
To be honnest I have never added any additives to this car. An I agree with you on the clatter when you use supermarket fuels that's one of the main reasons I would never use it. If it adds benefits as you have mentioned above I guess it's worth a try. Cheers for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #29
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

I've had good experience with it, and I believe it's worth the money, but only just. I started using this stuff after reading a positive review, then went in search of the main active ingredient in its raw form:
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...ml-811125.html
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #30
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
1 part in 1000ish.

Interesting, I have always used either shell v power or BP ultimate diesel in mine, since Ive had it. Runs much smoother than supermarket fuel and I feel the car is better off for it.

However with the current cost of fuel I might look into this additive to use with standard fuel.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #31
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough.. but I always intended to remove if it gave me issues at any stage so that's exactly what I did when I started seeing error codes. An on the N57 they have some electronic part once that fails no amount of cleaning helps unless you replace it.

If I'm honnest since I've had it removed I'm around 3-4mpg better off zero smoke under load as it's a proper map done on a rolling road to suit the car no jerkiness or lags anymore that I felt previously at certain rev ranges, may be placebo but feels as though it pulls stronger mid range too.
I must admit the thought of having my car running without the dpf would be one thing less to sort out when it eventually does fill up and require replacing. However when I get stuck behind a white van that's obviously gutted it's dpf and stinks my car out with that horrible smell it makes me think I'll keep mine. To be honest by the time mine does start to cause me a headache the London mayor will probably have extended the ULEZ zone to my doorstep (I'm very near the M25) so every time I open my car door will be another £12:50 charge so will have to swap it for a petrol.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:10 PM   #32
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, I have always used either shell v power or BP ultimate diesel in mine, since Ive had it. Runs much smoother than supermarket fuel and I feel the car is better off for it.

However with the current cost of fuel I might look into this additive to use with standard fuel.
I'm less sure about bridging the gap between premium and normal (good) diesel; it doesn't seem to have much effect when I add it to standard shell diesel. You can up the dose to 1:500ish; maybe that's what's required.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #33
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
However when I get stuck behind a white van that's obviously gutted it's dpf and stinks my car out with that horrible smell it makes me think I'll keep mine.
This. It makes me grumpy seeing modern diesels smoking away, or stinking up my car. But I do try not to be the emissions police; I do drive a 3L TD after all.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 03:38 AM   #34
ValSolo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 640d GC

Quote:
1 part in 1000ish.
I will add that you can get similar product from Hydra and they offer enhanced versions with other additives like lubricants and detergents.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 07:49 AM   #35
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Small wonder these things get a rep as being "snake oil", when you look at hydra's "datasheet"...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #36
LORDD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 320d M Sport

Well iv bitten the bullet and put a deposit on a 320d m sport touring gets delivered on Thursday . It’s a lci with all the toys I wanted satnav , extended Bluetooth , blue and mileage 136k . It has had a timing chain replaced in 2020 at 122k . It has also had dpf regenerated . Got couple of bits to change wood trim to aluminium. New starter button . Wood trim to aluminium. Only thing I don’t like is brown interior but will hopefully grow on me.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 12:12 AM   #37
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Cool, good luck!

Hopefully the DPF work isn't a sign of something upstream being off.

I'd really like a brown interior. Saddle brown. Black is fine, but too damn hot in the summer!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 02:24 AM   #38
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDD View Post
Well iv bitten the bullet and put a deposit on a 320d m sport touring gets delivered on Thursday . It’s a lci with all the toys I wanted satnav , extended Bluetooth , blue and mileage 136k . It has had a timing chain replaced in 2020 at 122k . It has also had dpf regenerated . Got couple of bits to change wood trim to aluminium. New starter button . Wood trim to aluminium. Only thing I don’t like is brown interior but will hopefully grow on me.
My son has got an LCI touring which has got the plastic silver trim. He says he wants wood so if you get round to removing yours let me know as he may be interested in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 03:32 AM   #39
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep

Hope you enjoy your new car, I really like the shape of the touring body, also much handier for loading full of stuff. Especially if you have a family.

Regarding the DPF, that may have just been the way it was driven eg lots of short journies etc. Check the basics though, it's usually something simple like the coolant not getting up to temp, needs to be minimum of 75 Deg C or it won't regen. If it's less than 87 change both stats. Then check the EGR is not coked up and stuck on.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #40
LORDD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
My son has got an LCI touring which has got the plastic silver trim. He says he wants wood so if you get round to removing yours let me know as he may be interested in it.
That’s the first thing I’m going to be removing 😀
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #41
LORDD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hope you enjoy your new car, I really like the shape of the touring body, also much handier for loading full of stuff. Especially if you have a family.

Regarding the DPF, that may have just been the way it was driven eg lots of short journies etc. Check the basics though, it's usually something simple like the coolant not getting up to temp, needs to be minimum of 75 Deg C or it won't regen. If it's less than 87 change both stats. Then check the EGR is not coked up and stuck on.
How do I check the stat temperatures ? Also how do I know if eve is coked up ? Plan is to get things like stats etc done while I can still use the x5
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:07 PM   #42
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s the first thing I’m going to be removing 😀
Let me know when you do as he may be interested in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #43
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do I check the stat temperatures ? Also how do I know if eve is coked up ? Plan is to get things like stats etc done while I can still use the x5
https://youtu.be/7exeRgWtkt4
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #44
LORDD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiS330d View Post
Quote:
That's the first thing I'm going to be removing 😀
Let me know when you do as he may be interested in it.
You have PM 😀