E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD Tune is making my car slower…

07-08-2022, 04:13 PM   #23
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 335i xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Just a quick note about the exhaust flap vac line routing - it comes out of the valve cover by the boost solenoid, but then it routes back under the cowl and over the engine (cylinder 5 & 6 area), then down with some bundles past the back of the intake by all the DME connections, then over to by the driver side wheel well where it connects to a different line that runs back to the exhaust. They'd have to disturb that vac line to connect your o2 sensors to the dme. And that place at the driverside wheel well where the vac line connects to the other line to the muffler - it's very easy to disconnect there. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Edit:
Here are some pics - one from my car of the flap vac line in the wire bundle coming down from the cowl, back behind the air box (going past the dme connections), and one from the internet (not my car) showing that vac line connection on the driver side wheel well, the one that's easy to disconnect.
I just checked the vac flap lines and nothing is obviously disturbed or broken. Probably the vac line going to the boost solenoid is bad. I doubt the solenoid itself went bad instantly for no reason. I called my local garage and they said "the foreman was the one who worked on your car and would be the only person who would be able to help". Doesn't seem right to me personally that only the foreman can help, they also didn't give me an official appointment just said come in Monday morning. I'm assuming they didn't give me an actual appointment to keep it off of their books. Do you think they'll charge me for this or no? Also assuming it is just a faulty vac line any idea how long it should take them to diagnose and fix? Finally what's the best way for me to learn how to read these logs, and understand what all the values are/what they effect? Im good with simple engines, but when it comes to all these electrics is where I stumble. As always seriously appreciate the help. This community is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #24
glocknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_monster View Post
Wow thank you so much for the info, you're probably right that I have a vacuum leak somewhere. I did just get a code (2C57) "Charging pressure control, plausibility pressure too low". So I have a boost leak and probably a vacuum leak too. This only happened after BMW installed the 02 sensors and charge pipe, so is it correct to think that this sudden lack of boost due to a leak is down to a mistake they made? Clipping a vacuum line, not properly installing the charge pipe, etc. I was not having close to this much leakage before I took it into them. How would I go about diagnosing my vacuum leak, I do have a vacuum tester. Should I go from line to line and look for a drop in pressure? Or just take it back to BMW.
I was having boost issues last month and reflashed back to stock and got that code. I checked for a boost leak and did not have one. I replaced the pressure controller(boost controller) and it fixed my boost issues and code. It was like $180 for an OEM one from FCP.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #25
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Just an update, BMW did disturb a vac line. They fixed it and it's running better than ever.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/fina...&data=3-16
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2022, 10:06 PM   #26
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Just an update, BMW did disturb a vac line. They fixed it and it's running better than ever.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/fina...og=0&data=3-16
Glad you got that vac leak sorted and back into boost! Just looked at the log, your corrections are pretty bad. Are you still using 94oct fuel? If so, are you confident in its quality? I see you're in Canada, I don't know much about the fuel up there, but i've seen some other members from there complain about fuel quality. To help rule out bad fuel, you could try flashing the stage 2 "91acn" map, and see if that clears up your corrections. I think ACN stands for Arizona, California, Nevada 91. Apparently the 91oct in those states is so crappy that MHD made these ACN maps just for them. Another option would be to keep the current map and try adding maybe 2 gallons of e85 to your next full tank, and see if that helps clear up the corrections. If you do that, probably a good idea to drive gently for a while to let your fuel trims settle in before getting on it for WOT logging runs (ethanol has a different stoichiometric fuel ratio than gas, so your trims will have to adjust to adding more fuel than anticipated to hit the target AFR's).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 12:14 AM   #27
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you still using 94oct fuel? If so, are you confident in its quality? I see you're in Canada, I don't know much about the fuel up there, but i've seen some other members from there complain about fuel quality.
You're right, Canada apparently has really crap fuel. I selected the ACN91 tune and I see that the file name is "v1.84 Stage 2 91acn_94cad". So apparently Canada's 94 octane fuel is as bad as Americas worst 91. This is definitely not a perfect log, the road was very uneven and I had to lift off. I'll update with a better one tomorrow.

Edit: to run e85 I would have to change my fuel lines right? I know the fuel rail is metal but I doubt the stock lines are.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/log-1657602483
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 01:47 AM   #28
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

So I just had a night of testing and it's strange to me how it could feel so much more powerful but still be slower on dragy times. I've uploaded a log and examples of 1/4 mile times. 13.81 is MHD Stage 2 ACN91 and 13.26 is Stock.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/log-...&data=3-16
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #29
hi rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Edit: to run e85 I would have to change my fuel lines right? I know the fuel rail is metal but I doubt the stock lines are.
They're not, but people have been using a lot of E85 in these cars for a long time. I've been using about E50 for a few years (Charge pipe injection, but regular fueling still uses original lines). They say E30 is about the limit for stock fueling systems. Monitor HPFP if possible.

Interested to know how your situation turns out, but I doubt I can help much since I tune with JB4. I do know stock N55s are prone to lower timing at the drop of a hat, not sure how MHD alters that.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #30
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

You are still getting some bad timing corrections which is also giving you a bunch of throttle closures. Your boost is also pretty jumpy and not meeting target except on spikes. When is the last time you changed your plugs and coils? Ideally they should have been changed recently before going to a tune. Have you been using the same gas station every fill up, maybe they have some not so good gas?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #31
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
You are still getting some bad timing corrections which is also giving you a bunch of throttle closures. Your boost is also pretty jumpy and not meeting target except on spikes. When is the last time you changed your plugs and coils? Ideally they should have been changed recently before going to a tune. Have you been using the same gas station every fill up, maybe they have some not so good gas?
I thought boost spiking was down to my XHP tune throttle blipping the upshifts, but my plugs are old. Don't know exactly how old because they're the same from the previous owner. Was probably going to inspect my current plugs and maybe get some NGK Laser Iridium if needed. Gas is the same Chevron station. Chevron is the only place that offers 94 in Canada. But I've already dashed to ACN91 in MHD so I don't think fuel is the biggest/only issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #32
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update:
Stock tune is officially faster than stage 2. I just clocked a 4.95 0-60 | 13.50 1/4 mile (fastest I've ever clocked and it's going up a 1.35% slope). My fastest time in stage 2 is 5.18 0-60 | 13.85 1/4 mile. I've noticed dramatic heatsoak on my stock FMIC so I've purchased VRSF 5" HD Stepped intercooler. It has very good reviews and I'm not going for 600+ horsepower so I don't need bigger. I also ordered NGK Laser Iridium plugs. Hopefully the plugs help the timing issues and can help me keep higher boosts on the stage 2 tune. I'll update here when I get all the stuff in and do some testing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:30 PM   #33
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update:
Stock tune is officially faster than stage 2. I just clocked a 4.95 0-60 | 13.50 1/4 mile (fastest I've ever clocked and it's going up a 1.35% slope). My fastest time in stage 2 is 5.18 0-60 | 13.85 1/4 mile. I've noticed dramatic heatsoak on my stock FMIC so I've purchased VRSF 5" HD Stepped intercooler. It has very good reviews and I'm not going for 600+ horsepower so I don't need bigger. I also ordered NGK Laser Iridium plugs. Hopefully the plugs help the timing issues and can help me keep higher boosts on the stage 2 tune. I'll update here when I get all the stuff in and do some testing.
Dang, that is really persuading me to try my own custom tune. I couldn't tell if mhd made a difference, but I chalked it up to not noticing gradual changes going from stock, stage 1 91acn, stage 1 91, stage 1+ 93, then stage 2+ 93. My fastest 0-60 was 4.84, on stage 1+. Haven't been able to match that on stage 2+...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #34
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

And that was with xhp stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:35 PM   #35
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
And that was with xhp stage 2.
xHP Stage 3. What's causing this lack of power? Because my ideas are just heatsoak, and not being able to hit boost targets due to plugs.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 11:23 PM   #36
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I'm experiencing a new issue. On stage 2 I'm experiencing a weird RPM stutter. I've replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium and the issue still continues and no codes from the ecu about it either. I've managed to capture a log of it. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/log-...&data=3-16
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #37
Yotaismygame
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (Beam)

Quote:
I'm experiencing a new issue. On stage 2 I'm experiencing a weird RPM stutter. I've replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium and the issue still continues and no codes from the ecu about it either. I've managed to capture a log of it. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

https://datazap.me/u/e90monster/log-...og=0&data=3-16
I don't know about the log but have you replaced or cleaned the Vanos solenoids? They can cause some weird driving issues. My brothers n55 would get occasional rpm flutter at idle and once in a while just die. Replaced vanos and its never ran better.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:15 PM   #38
mym3isslow
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Update:
Monster, I can relate. My car on jb4 map 1 is slower than on ppk.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 11:56 PM   #39
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym3isslow View Post
Quote:
Update:
Monster, I can relate. My car on jb4 map 1 is slower than on ppk.
I actually figured out my issue thanks to my local tuning shop. Im located in Canada and our gas is absolutely horrible. Our max fuel is 94 from chevron and it's worse than the US 91. They said as soon as you put on a tune and try to push the engine harder on poor gas you will have negative timing correction aka knock. This can impact performance so much by pulling boost and other factors that it's slower than stock. So they hooked me up with strong injector cleaner, BOOSTane and e100 to mix with my fuel. My knock is now gone and I'm running 4.7 0-60 (.3 seconds quicker). So make sure you're not knocking, because if you do have correction that will impact your performance. I'd bet you're knocking with the tune and not on stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #40
mym3isslow
Rep

What is your new trap speed? Are you rwd or awd?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #41
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Not sure what you mean by trap speed but my 1/4mile is 13.14 and I have xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #42
mym3isslow
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by trap speed but my 1/4mile is 13.14 and I have xDrive.
Mph in the 1/4. I figured it was xdrive because those 60' times are much better than I've been able to do on my rwd 6 spd.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #43
e90_monster
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym3isslow View Post
Mph in the 1/4. I figured it was xdrive because those 60' times are much better than I've been able to do on my rwd 6 spd.
Trap speed is 103.2MPH
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:47 PM   #44
mym3isslow
Rep

Quote:
Trap speed is 103.2MPH
The speed seems low. I can do more than that consistently on just PPK which supposedly only adds a measly 20hp and 17 lb ft of torque. Of course, I only did 99 mph on jb4 map 1 but it didn't feel like it was close to running right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0