E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Help! DPF Issues Persist

07-24-2022, 01:55 AM   #1
826350350mw
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Angry Help! DPF Issues Persist

Hi everyone,

Previous Post:
"I am in search of some advice for my bmw 335d 2011. Since buying the car we have had lots of issues. We have replaced the EGR valve, done the walnut blasting for the CBU. Now, we got the 200mi countdown of death. We took it to BMW dealer and they said the Nox sensors could be bad as well as the def tank temperature and level sensors and need to replace the whole tank. We went ahead and ordered the replacement kit from Xemodex to replace the interworkings of the tank beneath the pump. After doing so, the countdown was still there. Took it in and got it recoded and flashed the computer then did a drive test perfectly, still showing the countdown. Was informed again to replace the tank, but decided to do some research on this forum and are going to try and do a DIY to fix the NoX sensors, as well as drain the tank, clean with water and refill, and check and clean the injector nozzle. When using the OBD reader the codes that were thrown were P207F, P20EE, 41F9, 474C, 4748, and 4D16. If you can give any information on how to try and have a cheaper a fix, and not spend $5,000, it would be extremely helpful. Anything to try and not just give up and sell the car. Also, I reside in California, so an emissions bypass would not work, unless it's really smart. (Only have 34mi left on countdown)"

I took it to a diesel mechanic, turned out to be the dumbest decision ever. He destroyed the computer and we had to purchase another. The pump on the passive tank was replaced as well as the metering valve for the DEF. As well, both the NOx sensors were replaced. The tank was drained and refilled with DEF. The countdown is gone, but still have a bad sensor in DEF tank.

I got the car back and soon after received a 4BF4 code and replaced the exhaust gas pressure sensor as well as the line it connects to. I also replaced a good deal of vacuum lines. I then received a back pressure sensor warning code. Back pressure was reading 13 at idle. I decided to clean out the DPF while still in the vehicle with the liquid molly clean solution and pressure sprayer.

Once back together I forced a regen with Foxwell NT510 and had two successful regen with back pressure reading 6 at idle. Then reading 600 while driving. After the second regen, I received these three codes (4BF4, 4D03, and 47FE).

4BF4 "Exhaust gas differential pressure sensor, diesel particulate filter, signal"

4D03 "DDE: Exhaust Back pressure Sensor"

47FE "DDE: Reducing agent metering valve, activation"

I don't know what to do anymore. I plan on listing it for sale on craigslist tomorrow. Over 10k in repairs over 6 months. If anyone knows how to fix these please help. My dad and I are very mechanical.

Do I need to do anything on the scanner to tell the car I replaced the sensors? Could there be a vacuum leak?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 01:45 AM   #2
DougNBodie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [10.00]
Pull def and clean. Do not use a pressure washer!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I'm in socal if you actually need some qualified.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #4
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Let's try to take care of the countdown 1st. If that reaches zero the car bricks and can't be started. It doesn't automatically shut down due to safety if you're driving it past zero but it won't restart. From what I knew years ago, if you hit zero it has to be reset by BMW HQ. The dealerships can't do it and it was a 6 hr process. Don't know if this is accurate.

Drain the urea tanks and flush them several times with hot distilled water. Any crystals should dissolve and hopefully it will clear the tank sensors. To speed up the process connect a vacuum siphon oil extractor to the drain valves on the urea tank. Do this to both tanks.

Hint - spray any old urea on your grass and you'll get the deepest green lawn. Make sure it's diluted before you spray it.

This might be a reach for you but I only use urea from VW. I've had problems with bmw, adblue, truckstop urea but the problems stopped when I switched to VW. The 335D likes beetle piss. Fill both tanks not just the primary. One 10l jug will work. It fills the 1st fully and part of the 2nd. I think the car checks to verify that it can pass urea from 1 tank to the other.
Just fill both tanks to be safe.

If this doesn't work then you probably need a new tank. There was a thread on here years ago about guys coming up with a fix or work around. Some guys here might have an old tank to sell you.

Take the scr meter off the exhaust and learn how to activate it thru the foxwell scan tool. Then use clean hot water in the tank and activate it several times to flush any urea crystals in the supply line. This supply line can clog and block delivery to the meter.

Focus on getting the urea problem resolved first before the other issues. If you can't drive the car the other problems don't matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 09:14 PM   #5
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

I would call 335dlci. He has a good reputation.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:47 AM   #6
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d 335d Sport

Garage List
MW,
Somebody forgot to tell you that a BMW 335d is a hobby, not a daily driver… ;-)

Google “FUB-HIL-HI-110004-A13 SCR warning and shutdown scenario”.

I have over 100,000 miles experience with 335d (but I’m still learning a lot!) and ISTA not the Foxwell NT510. See if it supports activation of the DEF metering valve. If so, and before you go through the A$$ pain of flushing the DEF system, you can relatively easily pull the metering valve (at the front of the SCR catalyst with quick disconnects for fluid and electrical connections and a circular clamp for attachment to the SCR pipe) and test it to see if it is injecting urea appropriately* and sufficiently**.

* Appropriately: I have seen YouTube videos of a 335d metering valve delivering three distinct “spray jets” of fluid, and of a long-haul truck urea metering valve delivering a “mist” of fluid. Which is correct?

** Sufficiently: There should be a measurable-quantity-over-time specification that I don’t have at my fingertips…

Regarding all the codes you have pulled, don’t be dismayed. BMWs return lots of codes that often are not and may not be related to the root cause of an issue. It can thus be a challenge to “nug out” which are the real codes and which are spurious distractors.

I’m having a similar issue with my 2011 335d and have had innumerable codes that have all largely disappeared as I labor through to a solution. Did I say “hobby?”

The SCR system is essentially a catalytic converter. It has a urea injection system that interacts with the exhaust in the presence of a catalyst to reduce (oxidize?) exhaust fumes into less bothersome compounds. It has sensors (NOx) before and after the catalyst which report to the DDE which then gauges how effective the reduction process is.

Failure points would be 1) the urea injection system, 2) the NOx sensors, 3) the communication system (wires, connectors, DDE, software), and 4) the catalyst itself.

If the urea injection system isn't injecting appropriately or sufficiently the NOx sensors won't measure sufficient reduction across the catalyst. The DDE will sense this and a fault occurs. The easiest measuring point of urea injection is the metering valve which is relatively easy to access.

If the metering valve is delivering sufficient urea (DEF), then you can assume that the supporting system (DEF active and passive tanks, transfer pump, crystallization, etc) aren’t the issue and focus on other less likely causes.

Note also that, once repairs are complete (who knows when that is??), you must “Reset long-term adaptation” and conduct a "conditioning run with the (specified) driving profile" to reset the system. See "FUB-HIL-HI-11000R-A13 SCR warning and shutdown scenario" in ISTA.

Good luck! And, tell us how it turns out...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:48 AM   #7
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
MW,
Somebody forgot to tell you that a BMW 335d is a hobby, not a daily driver… ;-)

Google “FUB-HIL-HI-110004-A13 SCR warning and shutdown scenario”.

I have over 100,000 miles experience with 335d (but I’m still learning a lot!) and ISTA not the Foxwell NT510. See if it supports activation of the DEF metering valve. If so, and before you go through the A$$ pain of flushing the DEF system, you can relatively easily pull the metering valve (at the front of the SCR catalyst with quick disconnects for fluid and electrical connections and a circular clamp for attachment to the SCR pipe) and test it to see if it is injecting urea appropriately* and sufficiently**.

* Appropriately: I have seen YouTube videos of a 335d metering valve delivering three distinct “spray jets” of fluid, and of a long-haul truck urea metering valve delivering a “mist” of fluid. Which is correct?

** Sufficiently: There should be a measurable-quantity-over-time specification that I don’t have at my fingertips…

Regarding all the codes you have pulled, don’t be dismayed. BMWs return lots of codes that often are not and may not be related to the root cause of an issue. It can thus be a challenge to “nug out” which are the real codes and which are spurious distractors. I’m having a similar issue with my 2011 335d and have had innumerable codes that have all largely disappeared as I labor through to a solution. Did I say “hobby?”

The SCR system is essentially a catalytic converter. It has a urea injection system that interacts with the exhaust in the presence of a catalyst to reduce (oxidize?) exhaust fumes into less bothersome compounds. It has sensors (NOx) before and after the catalyst which report to the DDE which then gauges how effective the reduction process is.

Failure points would be 1) the urea injection system, 2) the NOx sensors, 3) the communication system (wires, connectors, DDE, software), and 4) the catalyst itself.
If the urea injection system isn't injecting appropriately or sufficiently the NOx sensors won't measure sufficient reduction across the catalyst. The DDE will sense this and a fault occurs. The easiest measuring point of urea injection is the metering valve which is relatively easy to access.

If the metering valve is delivering sufficient urea (DEF), then you can assume that the supporting system (DEF active and passive tanks, transfer pump, crystallization, etc) aren’t the issue and focus on other less likely causes.

Note also that, once repairs are complete (who knows when that is??), you must “Reset long-term adaptation” and conduct a "conditioning run with the (specified) driving profile" to reset the system. See "FUB-HIL-HI-11000R-A13 SCR warning and shutdown scenario" in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:50 AM   #8
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for the repeat--I don't do blogs, social networking, etc. very well...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:58 AM   #9
silverseal99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Okay, so I'm down to "4BF5 NOx sensor before SCR cat converter" this morning. Can anyone tell me how to activate the DEF metering valve in ISTA so I can eliminate urea delivery as an issue before I take it for an hour(+) conditioning run? Kill me already... glad I have my Duramax to keep me mobile while I deal with this X$%$#@ BMW (which I love to drive!).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 10:30 PM   #10
826350350mw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
I'm in socal if you actually need some qualified.
I just got to this. I have been extremely busy with college. Could we get in contact, I believe my EGR is now having serious issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:41 AM   #11
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 826350350mw View Post
I just got to this. I have been extremely busy with college. Could we get in contact, I believe my EGR is now having serious issues?
Pm me.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 06:23 AM   #12
LarryCox
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi a3

BMW 3-series

Okay, so this morning I'm down to "4BF5 NOx sensor before SCR cat converter." Can someone please explain how to turn on the DEF measuring valve in ISTA so, I can rule out urea supply as a problem before I put the vehicle through an hour or more of conditioning? Kill me already; fortunately, I have my Duramax to keep me moving as I struggle with this X$%$#@ BMW (which I adore driving!).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 12:28 AM   #13
826350350mw
Rep

I got the SCR issue under control, for the time being, the car reads the tank as full at 68% so as long as I keep it above there I am okay. Multiple sensors were replaced and it got recalibrated by a BMW diesel tech. I am now facing issues with the EGR. I am losing coolant at a decent rate, but none is actually on the ground. The car also goes into limp mode when I accelerate too quickly and will stay that way until I turn it on and off. I recently changed the battery because it died and then I got a bunch of fault codes now too, anyone know what to do? (I did register the battery to the car with the NT510 Foxwell, but have not taken it to the BMW tech to do anything professionally yet).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #14
SAking
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

As long as I keep it above that level, I will be fine because I have the SCR problem under control for the time being. The car reads the tank as full at 68%. A BMW diesel technician updated several sensors and calibrated it. The EGR is giving me problems right now. Despite the fact that I am losing coolant at a respectable rate, none is on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 01:27 AM   #15
826350350mw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAking View Post
As long as I keep it above that level, I will be fine because I have the SCR problem under control for the time being. The car reads the tank as full at 68%. A BMW diesel technician updated several sensors and calibrated it. The EGR is giving me problems right now. Despite the fact that I am losing coolant at a respectable rate, none is on the ground.
??
Appreciate 0