E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > best 335d mods?

07-31-2022, 12:55 AM   #23
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
I would also replace water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses.
Agreed with the water pump and thermostat. I got mine at 143k and when I replaced the thermostat and pump at around 150k the thermostat was completely non functional, the pump was working but it had a bit of a sound from the bearing I believe. When I got the old thermostat off, the two pieces of plastic that hold it to the housing were disintegrated and so my thermostat was constantly open.

A good way to check if this is a problem is by keeping up with the coolant temperature on the "secret menu." U go to 19 to unlock, enter the code (which has something to do with the numbers in VIN added together I think), and go to number 7. The first option 7.01 is coolant temperature. Now monitor that and after 30 minutes of driving if your temp is not over 79 C that's a good sign you thermostat is not functioning correctly. On the reverse if your to is over 100C after 30 minutes that's a sign of overheating. This is not as common for diesels AFAIK because of the greater efficiency and lower EGTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #24
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

I haven't heard anyone speak of the fuel filter. Seems obvious, but want to mention it. Also change the turbo inlet seal. They petrify and are cheap and easy to replace.
Appreciate 0