E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N52 valve cover gasket replacement unknown leak

08-14-2022, 12:45 AM   #1
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

N52 valve cover gasket replacement unknown leak

So I've just replaced the valve cover gasket on my n52 and it's still leaking the oil is boiling off at this one specific point what's the problem?

Video attached

https://youtube.com/shorts/g9raVEB9KKw?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
Maple_323i
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 323i Sport

I have the plastic valve cover (N52B25). It may be from the valvetronic motor gasket surface. I replaced the valve cover bolts, as they are aluminum, and torqued them to spec (added 1Nm due to extension), however I did not replace the two small aluminum bolts securing the valvetronic motor to the valve cover. For the next month, I had oil dripping down that same spot, and onto my exhaust. The two spark plug tubes underneath the valvetronic motor were filled with oil, which finally convinced me the problem was the gasket or motor was not secured tightly enough. I bought two new small bolts and one gasket, torqued them properly, and now there is no more oil filling up spark plug tubes, collecting in that spot and dripping onto my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #3
bimmerisalwaysbroken
Waiting for a tow truck
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_323i View Post
I have the plastic valve cover (N52B25). It may be from the valvetronic motor gasket surface. I replaced the valve cover bolts, as they are aluminum, and torqued them to spec (added 1Nm due to extension), however I did not replace the two small aluminum bolts securing the valvetronic motor to the valve cover. For the next month, I had oil dripping down that same spot, and onto my exhaust. The two spark plug tubes underneath the valvetronic motor were filled with oil, which finally convinced me the problem was the gasket or motor was not secured tightly enough. I bought two new small bolts and one gasket, torqued them properly, and now there is no more oil filling up spark plug tubes, collecting in that spot and dripping onto my exhaust.
haha yeah i had another look at my valvetronic motor and realised I had put the gasket the the wrong way around now that ive fixed it no longer drips oil
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00