E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Lowballers Thread

04-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Lowballers Thread

Ok, I've had enough with the damn lowballers on this forum. I'm going to start posting up PM's here. Should I start naming names yet? (see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502915)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****
Hi I am interested in your Auto shifter knob only. Are you willing to part with it for $15 as the boot is the expensive piece? Where about are you located?

Thanks

Yes, you're right, the shifter boot is the more expensive part.

$83.63 for the MT shifter boot which has more leather from Tischer BMW + shipping and duty = $100.

$52.96 for the knob from Tischer BMW + shipping and duty = $70. Part number 25167570652.

$170 for the whole package brand new. The part is practically brand new condition.

Want to make me a better offer?

Last edited by Andy M; 04-11-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
Ok, I've had enough with the damn lowballers on this forum. I'm going to start posting up PM's here. Should I start naming names yet? (see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502915)
Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I bought the knob for $46+tax from a dealer in NJ several weeks ago. I feel 2/3 of new price is fair, though I see how $15 shipping would make it unfair to you.

It's late and I didn't see you were in canada when I PMd you. Shipping within the US would be $2.50.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I bought the knob for $46+tax from a dealer in NJ several weeks ago. I feel 2/3 of new price is fair, though I see how $15 shipping would make it unfair to you.

It's late and I didn't see you were in canada when I PMd you. Shipping within the US would be $2.50.

No problem. Just been talking to some other E90post members here in Toronto about the lowballers we've been getting lately. I've been getting lowball offers almost weekly on this product. (e.g. 20 to 30% of the retail cost)

Thanks for coming clean though. I've been getting so many lowball offers I thought I'd post some of them up and hope others do too. Some are pretty funny.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep
Drives: its fast

lowballing is a part of life when you sell something online. blame ebay for this type of behaviour. Kijiji is another breeding ground.

ebay has created a new generation of cheapos/bargain hunters. The feeling of getting that item at the lowest possible price is quite empowering, sad to say people live like this.

The real answer is when someone says "well such and such is selling it for this much new"...simply...then go there and buy it. You shouldn't be interested in wasting time with this fellow.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
edvc520
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

The thing is.. Each person has a different perspective to what's lowballing..
Some thinks asking $5 off a $100 item is lowballing too

To me.. I think trying to negotiating over 20% off is lowballing
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

lol the other thread is hilarious, it's like a support group for lowballing victims.

if you're in the buy/sell market, low balling is a part of the game. i'm sure we'd all prefer not to deal with them but if you're selling, that's what you get - hit delete and move on. or you can be like me and throw your OEM front/sides/rear in the garbage, now lowballers there!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Not sure if I have any credibility as I 'lowballed' OP (see above post), but I've sold a good amount of parts on the boards and I don't usually have too big an issue with it:

If I'm selling an item and receive an offer I'm not happy with, I'll just say I'm not interested at that price, but will keep them in mind. If I ever receive a lower offer, I just tell them I was offered ___ and refused. If I get a higher offer, the price moves up. Once I get an offer I'm happy with, I take it. Doesn't really get to me and I haven't had anyone try and convince me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

lowball offer:

Spark Plugs, asking $90, lowball offer from gchan for $50
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep

Think of your own work expecially if you're in any type of sales...

Whats the first question a customer asks?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post
lowball offer:

Spark Plugs, asking $90, lowball offer from gchan for $50
Lol @ your caption

Keep in mind that new OEM NGKs are $75. Exactly the same plug that BMW stamps 'BMW' on and sells at the dealerships. I'm sure there are people here that won't understand that and would be willing to pay more though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I hear you, but this is pretty normal for selling stuff online. Kijiji and Craigslist are ten times worse for this garbage.

I think if you're truly offended by an offer then the best thing you can do is expend zero effort and ignore it. That, and try not to be offended to begin with... the last thing you really want is an emotional attachment to something you're trying to sell. Try to be objective and keep in mind that in the end you don't really know what your stuff is worth any more than the lowballer - these transactions take a willing buyer and a willing seller.

Think about how people who do this for a living handle these situations. If a BMW rep gets offered $20k on a new 335i does s/he get offended? No, probably not... as soon as it's clear there's not going to be a deal I would guess they just get them out of the showroom. (politely, as they may one day come back with money and/or a friend with money)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i am a lowballer. works 95% of the time. call me out, my car is filled with cheap parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
Devas
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4

People seem to think others are low balling when their asking for a much lower price then the advertised price. But the advertised price was made up by the OP, who may or may not have based it on market nor supply and demand.

If you have something listed and nobody has purchased it for a while, do you not lower your price, until it becomes more attractive? Some OP may want to ask themselves if their price is fair, before getting upset.

When i sell things on Kijiji, forums etc, i don't expect to get my value back, i just want it to be gone, which is why im selling it. If seller feels its a low ball, just ignore it. who knows you may end up selling it to the low baller, cause it seems he/she is the only one that is interested, which means he/she dictates the price. Or you can just throw the item away if you don't want to deal with it
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devas View Post
People seem to think others are low balling when their asking for a much lower price then the advertised price. But the advertised price was made up by the OP, who may or may not have based it on market nor supply and demand.

If you have something listed and nobody has purchased it for a while, do you not lower your price, until it becomes more attractive? Some OP may want to ask themselves if their price is fair, before getting upset.

When i sell things on Kijiji, forums etc, i don't expect to get my value back, i just want it to be gone, which is why im selling it. If seller feels its a low ball, just ignore it. who knows you may end up selling it to the low baller, cause it seems he/she is the only one that is interested, which means he/she dictates the price. Or you can just throw the item away if you don't want to deal with it
+1 I ain't going to lie, i'll lowball a reasonable amount in which i think its worth hahaha. if you there's a OBO on the price man i'll be the one lowballing hardcore if the op doesnt like the offer then simply hit delete no point in getting all worked up for a offer shoot there's better things to cry about.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i lowballed the shit out of someone for my wheels, and he said no for days until he got desperate. then i got my way!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep

$5 for this thread
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devas View Post

I think a fair price on these forums usually is 50% of the retail price typically (for a used part). I'd consider anything less than 20% a lowball price. Anyone here who has sold on the forums will agree. Typically it's accompanied by some bs "fact" to convince the seller to just sell to them for a lowball price.

When I buy off these forums, I'd pretty much pay the exact price the OP asks if it's a reasonable amount. The guys who are the typical sellers here on the forums are usually the ones who are well known and being known as a lowballer isn't going to help you.

Btw, I think the same people we consider the extreme lowballers are the same users ha!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

too many low ballers to post here LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
sathees siva
$*~TIVU EMPIRE~*$
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

I should have kept all my PM's. You guys would have had a good laugh.
      04-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Andy M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathees siva View Post
I should have kept all my PM's. You guys would have had a good laugh.
Lol you know I made this thread for you! Haha!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
kol
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
E92 N54  [7.50]
If we think of it from the other side, sometimes it's the seller who is actually asking for too much....maybe cause they paid too much for the part originally or they simply got attached to the part. A used part is a used part, doesn't really have nearly the same value as band new. Even when you are selling a BN part, many times the warranty doesn't transfer....

I admit, there are times I lowball because the part is not something I'm desperate to get - if I get a deal, I'll grab it, if not...then so be it.

In a recent part-out of mines, I didn't really get any lowballs....nothing less than 10% of my asking prices.....so I don't think we have a lot of lowballers on here, as long as the prices are set properly.

What really bothers me, is when people offer trades when you are not evening looking for a trade. ie. I've been offered "car detailing" services for my car parts and even old cell phones/computer parts....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Me_Hi
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: *

I'm sorry but isn't Craigslist used to sell second hand items for cheap? You get no warranty and you take a risk on the full functionality of the item. What do you expect, get 80% of retail price? People go on these sites to get a bargain. If you expect to use your shit and than sell it used and get most of your money back you're dreaming. If you get low balled, wake up, it's a negotiating game. If you're interested on selling your used shit, bargain. If you can wait for a better offer than wait. Don't blame people for trying. You're just upset you can't sell your shit at the price you're asking. I low ball and save 80% of the time.